Rumor: LFL bins Star Wars projects from Patty Jenkins (Rogue Squadron) and Kevin Feige (Unannounced)

RIP in Peace, Rogue Squadron film.

Star-wars.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1
VARIETY.COM

Kevin Feige and Patty Jenkins "Star Wars" films have been shelved, as Lucasfilm turns to directors Taika Waititi and Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy.

It’s not for want of trying. In December 2020, Lucasfilm chief Kathleen Kennedy announced that “Wonder Woman” helmer Patty Jenkins would direct the next “Star Wars” movie, the one-off adventure “Rogue Squadron.” But in September 2022, Disney pulled the title from its scheduled December 2023 release, and sources with knowledge of the production say it is no longer in active development at the studio. (A rep for Lucasfilm did not respond to a request for comment. In December, Jenkins said in a statement that she was still developing “Rogue Squadron,” but “I don’t know if it will happen or not.”)

Meanwhile, Variety has learned that a possible “Star Wars” feature produced by Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige is also no longer in active development at Lucasfilm.

This pretty much lines up with Iger saying that they want to be "very careful" with Star Wars flim development:

Bob-Iger-tux.jpg?w=1024
DEADLINE.COM

Disney CEO Bob Iger said the company is being "very careful" in developing Star Wars films and also is reassessing how many Marvel sequels get made.

Disney CEO Bob Iger says the company is still being “very careful” with developing Star Wars feature films in the wake of Solo‘s soft box office, while Marvel is also getting a rethink in terms of how many sequels characters get.

As far as Star Wars, Iger said “disappointing” box office returns in 2018 for Solo, one of two stand-alone films integrated among three “saga” installments, “gave us pause” in terms of the feature pipeline. Executives determined that “maybe the cadence was a little too aggressive,” he added. Disney is “still developing Star Wars films,” Iger continued, but “we’re going to make sure when we make one, it’s the right one. So we’re being very careful there.”

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Rumor: LFL bins Star Wars projects from Patty Jenkins (Rogue Squadron) and Kevin Feige (Unannounced)
15 minutes ago, Bjomesphat said:

Yeah didn't care about any of those, or most of Star Wars now tbh. But I do know I 100% do not want a Taika Waititi Star Wars film. Especially not one he stars in.

His shtick is getting old now. We don't need more cringe ironic humor in Star Wars.

I'm still a fan of Taika's but his constant forcing himself into roles and expanding them when he has admitted he doesn't even consider himself a good actor is really growing irritating. His off-screen persona is also getting a bit much, and Thor: Love and Thunder was a bad film. It's been quite weird.

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I'm still a fan of Taika's but his constant forcing himself into roles and expanding them when he has admitted he doesn't even consider himself a good actor is really growing irritating. His off-screen persona is also getting a bit much, and Thor: Love and Thunder was a bad film. It's been quite weird.

Love and Thunder was absolutely awful, and people get mad at me when I say it!

Overall the 4th or whatever phase we're in has been incredibly disappointing, but I think i'm also pretty worn out on this stuff. 

At this point, I'm fine pretending there are only 6 SW movies. One amazing trilogy, and one awful one. I'm just ignoring everything else, at least until they start doing something with zero connection to the Original trilogy or that part of its history. 

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Love and Thunder was absolutely awful, and people get mad at me when I say it!

Overall the 4th or whatever phase we're in has been incredibly disappointing, but I think i'm also pretty worn out on this stuff. 

I've still been watching everything. I enjoyed Shang-Chi and Eternals (movies with real stories) over Iron Man 2-esque Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4. Thor: Love and Thunder was bad. I laughed a lot, it was a really stupid movie, but man is it bad on any other level. Taika Waititi felt lazy as shit on this one.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I've still been watching everything. I enjoyed Shang-Chi and Eternals (movies with real stories) over Iron Man 2-esque Doctor Strange 2 and Thor 4. Thor: Love and Thunder was bad. I laughed a lot, it was a really stupid movie, but man is it bad on any other level. Taika Waititi felt lazy as shit on this one.

I really enjoyed Shang-Chi, but I didn't like Eternals at all. DS2 was another one I didn't love. 

L&T had laughs, but it tried to play everything that way, and I thought it just felt like too much. 

• True 1

8 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I really enjoyed Shang-Chi, but I didn't like Eternals at all. DS2 was another one I didn't love. 

L&T had laughs, but it tried to play everything that way, and I thought it just felt like too much. 

I get it, Eternals was a divisive movie. But at least it was a real one. DS2 and L&T felt like amusement park rides at best, not movies.

• True 1

I am fine with a long layoff from Star Wars features. Make them special events again.

And honestly? I don’t need more than one SW TV series a year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yup - things are still going swimmingly.

Damon-Lindelof-Justin-Britt-Gibson.jpg?w
DEADLINE.COM

Screenwriters Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson have made their exit from Lucasfilm's new top-secret 'Star Wars' film.

Lucasfilm’s top-secret Star Wars movie to be directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy has lost its screenwriters Damon Lindelof and Justin Britt-Gibson, Deadline can confirm.

Details as to the film’s plot are still under wraps, though we understand that Obaid-Chinoy remains at the helm, with further details on the project to be unveiled at next month’s Star Wars Celebration in London. Sources suggest that the film is still in a solid position to be one of the first out of the gate for the franchise — if not the first — on the heels of 2019’s Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker. Disney has, in the interim, prioritized building out the Star Wars universe on the TV side, with hit shows like The Mandalorian.

12 hours ago, TheShader said:

Disney and shitcanning Star Wars movies, name a more iconic duo. 

I mean, i’d prefer shitcanning to more Sequel Trilogy or Solo BS. 

from the 5 movies we got, it just became clear they had no real plans for the franchise, and thought they could just print money with the name.

TV series have definitely been better, but I want good movies.

• True 2

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, i’d prefer shitcanning to more Sequel Trilogy or Solo BS. 

Imo, Solo was still a good movie that could have been better had they not half shitcanned it in the first place. If you'll recall it was really the first victim of this mentality from Disney, except it was too far into production so they fired the directors instead of shitcanning it. 

Which did directly lead us to getting Into the Spider-verse, so I don't complain about it too much. 

On 3/22/2023 at 5:33 AM, TheShader said:

Imo, Solo was still a good movie that could have been better had they not half shitcanned it in the first place. If you'll recall it was really the first victim of this mentality from Disney, except it was too far into production so they fired the directors instead of shitcanning it. 

Which did directly lead us to getting Into the Spider-verse, so I don't complain about it too much. 

Yeah i thought Solo wasn't as bad as folks made it out to be either and they seemed to have solid plans for that trilogy which are now playing out in the comics apparently with the whole Crimson Dawn Storyline that really focuses on Emilia Clark's character as she tries to go against the Empire with her Crimson Dawn criminal organization. You can tell this is what was pitched for the Solo movie trilogy that never came to fruition. Maybe it will get adapted someday on TV or something. 

Honestly I hope they move past the Empire and the Rebels and just continue the world building. The thing about Star Wars that's so cool is that literally ANYTHING is possible in this Universe and they aren't bound by too many constraints. All they have to focus on is tellling good stories.