So, it looks I might have found a permanent solution to Joycon drift

BloodyHell

Joy-Con Drop in Hall Electromagnetic thumb stick replacements

gulikitsticks.jpg
WWW.POLYGON.COM

It’s not a difficult fix, but it’s somewhat involved

Normal thumbstick sensors die because the contacts wear, giving imprecise feedback on the charge  to the console when the stick is at rest. The more it wears, the worst it becomes, giving us drift. This doesn't use contacts, they use very hard magnets, and they are supposed to be extremely precise. But the big thing is that there is no contacts. So while magnets don't actually hold their charge forever, the sensors will function correctly far longer than most people will own the controller. 

I replaced one set in my joycons and so far I love them (it was also very easy), ordered 2 more for Joy-Con sticks because Nintendo's sticks are just awful in every conceivable way.

Hopefully they make some for PS5 and Series X as well. I'd replace those myself. They make them for steamdeck, but they require soldering, no way im confident enough to solder on the deck. 

Yeah I’m not soldering either. One good thing about the PS5 Dual Sense edge is people are expecting third party Hall sticks in replacement thumb stick modules. Which should then make the controller closer to perfect. At that point the biggest drawbacks would be poor battery life and only two paddles/buttons on the back of the controller. 

2 hours ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

Thrustmaster makes a controller with modular thumbstick that you can swap around if you prefer the Xbox layout or playstation layout of the dpad/sticks. If they fuck up you can just buy the replacement thumbstick and drop it in. I've been wanting one but they're like $180.

these are 30$, and theoretically should just never screw up. I like the feel of the set I installed on my Joy-Cons too. I'm glad I was too stubborn and angry at Nintendo to throw my extra sets away, hoping they'd get sued into creating a permanent fix. I originally saw them on LTT, then looked at them online. Ordered a set to see, then ordered more. Took a bit of time to get them after I ordered, but it was worth it. I have no interest in Thrustmaster. I have a Skuf that was a present, I use it with my laptop mostly. 180$ controllers are absurd to me, i'm not a competitive fighting game guy, I like them, but thats it, and I pretty much play zero online shooters. I just don't have a reasonable use for one. 

Now that I played GT7 VR I want a good wheel and pedals though. I have a relatively cheap set up that's ok, but i'd love something like Fantec  pro setup. Thats too much money for a racing game, though. 

Uhh, yeah, using sticks that don't suffer from stick drift is definitely a solution... Good job? The way the thread title is phrased I assume you meant you found a solution to Nintendo's shitty sticks. You know, the ones that "wear down over time" and had massive drift for me literally out of the box.

I just did the swap on the steam deck last weekend. So extremely easy and if you have total confidence in swapping sticks the soldering was just nothing to be scared of. I know it sounds scary if you have never done ANY AT ALL, but I did it and it was not scary and I know the op could do it easily. To me the way he said" THERE's NO WAY I'M SOLDERING IN MY STEAMDECK" was just like ppl who say there's no way I'm building my own PC. It's really easy, the steamdeck requires just to tiny contact spots, one on each stick and the solder pad is pretty big and not near anything "SCARY" I just wanted to say that's i'm sure you could do it! 

Now for the sticks themselves, FIVE stars!! I love them and I'm now looking to buy joycon ones from them too, love the Hall effect sticks.....