D1P PSA: Do NOT install the latest AMD Adrenalin 23.2.1 drivers - reports of Windows corruption, changes to BIOS settings

Per CapFrameX:

[Update] The driver seems to change BIOS settings. Check the boot options when your system doesn't boot after installing the driver. Do not just reinstall the OS.

First user from @ComputerBase forum reports that AMD Adrenalin 23.2.1 WHQL driver corrupting Windows.

Fo_mA85XEAARsFH?format=jpg&name=small

Oh maybe my coworkers thing was different but it was a newish amd laptop last week that had a forced update and then it said no boot drive but in this case the drive wouldn’t show in bios at all but for some reason was able to be accessed via Win11 usb install and could then format it and reinstall.

13 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh maybe my coworkers thing was different but it was a newish amd laptop last week that had a forced update and then it said no boot drive but in this case the drive wouldn’t show in bios at all but for some reason was able to be accessed via Win11 usb install and could then format it and reinstall.

It's probably related. From what I have seen on other boards this only happens if you have a 6xxx series GPU. Called AMD should have my replacement 7900XTX by next week. I didn't bother installing my 6800XT so I can use this time for Warhammer. Need to get on that. Just had so much to think about the past few weeks I haven't really done anything. 

Have surgery on Monday so I will know what my future holds to a certain extent on monday when I wake up. Mom is crazy and is going to her trip to Israel and will deal with the ovarian biopsy when she comes back on 3/9. I plan to go to Colombia and visit my grandma's grave cuz I refuse to die until I do it. I have to go every year atleast for a weekend to visit her grave. Also after approaching 5 yearsin therapy I wouldn't have lost my ex-wife in theory as the person I am now. So gonna roll that dice when I go to visit grandma's grave and hope I roll a 6 I guess so I can keep rolling the dice and see what happens. 

Remeber boys to change your life you need to do different things because the stuff you did up to that point is what got you there. Sorry I just have mad shyt on my plate so I've been doing alot of interspection I think it's call. I need to buy a psychology text book so I can get the words down and learn other useful concepts.

• Hugs 2

21 hours ago, Zaku3 said:

It's probably related. From what I have seen on other boards this only happens if you have a 6xxx series GPU. Called AMD should have my replacement 7900XTX by next week. I didn't bother installing my 6800XT so I can use this time for Warhammer. Need to get on that. Just had so much to think about the past few weeks I haven't really done anything. 

Have surgery on Monday so I will know what my future holds to a certain extent on monday when I wake up. Mom is crazy and is going to her trip to Israel and will deal with the ovarian biopsy when she comes back on 3/9. I plan to go to Colombia and visit my grandma's grave cuz I refuse to die until I do it. I have to go every year atleast for a weekend to visit her grave. Also after approaching 5 yearsin therapy I wouldn't have lost my ex-wife in theory as the person I am now. So gonna roll that dice when I go to visit grandma's grave and hope I roll a 6 I guess so I can keep rolling the dice and see what happens. 

Remeber boys to change your life you need to do different things because the stuff you did up to that point is what got you there. Sorry I just have mad shyt on my plate so I've been doing alot of interspection I think it's call. I need to buy a psychology text book so I can get the words down and learn other useful concepts.

Really happy your outlook is becoming more positive as you are going through some tough things. Good luck on your surgery on Monday, definitely let us know how it went once you are comfortable! 

• Hugs 1

On 2/16/2023 at 12:41 PM, stepee said:

Really happy your outlook is becoming more positive as you are going through some tough things. Good luck on your surgery on Monday, definitely let us know how it went once you are comfortable! 

Thanks man

Got a 7900XTX in. This one works. Updated the drivers no problems. The cooler fault is a major issue. Performance is noticeably better with a working cooler. Might be time for a Warhammer 3 playthrough. (Let's go High Elves)

• Halal 1

Just now, Zaku3 said:

Thanks man

Got a 7900XTX in. This one works. Updated the drivers no problems. The cooler fault is a major issue. Performance is noticeably better with a working cooler. Might be time for a Warhammer 3 playthrough. (Let's go High Elves)

Nice! So no more 90c temps?

9 minutes ago, stepee said:

Nice! So no more 90c temps?

Lol 110c Juntion temp. Ooo low of 60 max of 99 in the battle benchmark.

One day I will be able to get 120FPS on a Tw3 campaign map. By the time I do my target FPS will 100% be 240FPS so the cycle can continue.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

110c holy shittttt

Now it's 80c at Junction. Glad this worked out though. Ok now it feels worth the 1k USD. I'd still give the edge to the 4080 but if you'd rather save the 200 bucks a 7900XTX is not a bad choice.

Time to try Dark Tide.

1 minute ago, Zaku3 said:

Now it's 80c at Junction. Glad this worked out though. Ok now it feels worth the 1k USD. I'd still give the edge to the 4080 but if you'd rather save the 200 bucks a 7900XTX is not a bad choice.

Time to try Dark Tide.

Not my type of game but I know you are into it and it will be a great one for the new gpu since it’s is a fucking looker (made DF’s top 10) so should be good times 

14 minutes ago, stepee said:

lol I missed this post wat

I wanted to see why you don't think you'd enjoy dark tide.

Surgery was a success. I am recovering. Worried about the results couldn't set up an online account to access it as it comes in. My follow up is March 2nd (bday) so I hope it's not grim dark news. 

Even if it is I don't really care cuz I think my ex-wife wants me. We are doing that we aren't a couple but we fight like one thing. Main difference is I am more mature and understand myself better so I can like work towards a resolution with her unlike in the past. Pretty hyped cuz companionship, sex, etc.

4 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

I wanted to see why you don't think you'd enjoy dark tide.

Surgery was a success. I am recovering. Worried about the results couldn't set up an online account to access it as it comes in. My follow up is March 2nd (bday) so I hope it's not grim dark news. 

Even if it is I don't really care cuz I think my ex-wife wants me. We are doing that we aren't a couple but we fight like one thing. Main difference is I am more mature and understand myself better so I can like work towards a resolution with her unlike in the past. Pretty hyped cuz companionship, sex, etc.

Yeah good hype reasons for sure. Glad the surgery went well! So you don’t know if it’s anything to be concerned about until March 2nd though? Or did they already confirmed it looks non cancerous and that date will just be to double confirm?

And for Dark Tide I did play a little if it when it dropped and it was fun enough, but I’m into more single player type affairs and I was having trouble even being able to find how to do bots. I also don’t like games generally if I can’t pause then at any time and leave for an 5 minutes or an hour or whatever. I’d like to try the universe some day but it would have to be more of a single player game, maybe Space Marine 2?