PC Community Thread

stepee

16 minutes ago, stepee said:

oh yeah I forgot about motherboards :P

I was very sad to see that I'd need to spend like $550-650 for an AM5 motherboard just because I want 2 USB3.0 headers, let alone wanting more than 3 M.2 slots. :p 

At least the Intel motherboard (because it's a Z690) was "only" $350-ish, but I can't justify buying a dead socket-type.

• Sad 1

Rumored 4080 Super pricing is $999. I don’t see that actually happening, I’m more-so expecting $1200 with the regular 4080 “officially” dropping to $1100 or even $999. Same rumors are claiming it’ll be 6-10% faster than the base 4080 and maintain 16gb VRAM (I was expecting a bump to 20-24gb).

4070 Super and 4070 Ti Super are now being rumored to keep 12gb of VRAM but the memory bus to increase to 256bit from the current 192bit. Also seems weird as most were expecting a bump to 16gb VRAM.

@stepee @Mr.Vic20

4090 owners, might want to inspect your card and make sure the connector is good. Even properly latched connections with the OG design are still melting, because the pin design\tolerances are absolute shit.

WCCFTECH.COM

Owners of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs are still prone to "12VHPWR" connector issues which include melting and burns, reports NorthridgeFix.

Not only do you have to make sure the clip latches, but the connection should be squared up. A very light wiggle could make sure the metal contacts inside the plastic have a proper connection, because one other theory to the issue is a lax manufacturing tolerance leading to poor connections.

The 12vhpwr connector is just so badly designed that it will soon be replaced with a new version.

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Thermals on the new connector are significantly lower compared to its 12VHPWR predecessor, even in worst-case scenarios.

• Halal 2

20 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

@stepee @Mr.Vic20

4090 owners, might want to inspect your card and make sure the connector is good. Even properly latched connections with the OG design are still melting, because the pin design\tolerances are absolute shit.

WCCFTECH.COM

Owners of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs are still prone to "12VHPWR" connector issues which include melting and burns, reports NorthridgeFix.

Not only do you have to make sure the clip latches, but the connection should be squared up. A very light wiggle could make sure the metal contacts inside the plastic have a proper connection, because one other theory to the issue is a lax manufacturing tolerance leading to poor connections.

The 12vhpwr connector is just so badly designed that it will soon be replaced with a new version.

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

Thermals on the new connector are significantly lower compared to its 12VHPWR predecessor, even in worst-case scenarios.

Thanks for the tag? :p 

It should be noted that the wiggle issue is plug-dependent (but everyone should check to see how much their adapter/plug moves). Some are more prone to wiggle than others. For example: cable mod’s original right-angle adapter could move a ridiculous amount while being latched due to the design of the latch on their adapter (it could basically do a full pivot up until the rest of the plug would be stopped on the sidewall of the port), meanwhile their EVGA PSU adapter (straight, not angled) can barely move once clicked in (I checked mine immediately once the issues of their right angle adapter came out).

6 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:
WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

20 to 25 GeForce RTX 4090 graphics cards with melted connectors come to NorthridgeFix for repairs every week.

It’s worth putting into perspective that in one month nVidia sold over 160k 4090s (November 2022). Let’s say the avg is 100k units sold per month (I’d assume it’s actually higher but there’s no concrete sales data I can find beyond the first month of sales), 100 defective units per month out of that is 0.1%.

I’m not trying to discredit the issue, but to put into perspective the sensationalism of that article. :p 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Thanks for the tag? :p 

It should be noted that the wiggle issue is plug-dependent (but everyone should check to see how much their adapter/plug moves). Some are more prone to wiggle than others. For example: cable mod’s original right-angle adapter could move a ridiculous amount while being latched due to the design of the latch on their adapter (it could basically do a full pivot up until the rest of the plug would be stopped on the sidewall of the port), meanwhile their EVGA PSU adapter (straight, not angled) can barely move once clicked in (I checked mine immediately once the issues of their right angle adapter came out).

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It’s worth putting into perspective that in one month nVidia sold over 160k 4090s (November 2022). Let’s say the avg is 100k units sold per month (I’d assume it’s actually higher but there’s no concrete sales data I can find beyond the first month of sales), 100 defective units per month out of that is 0.1%.

I’m not trying to discredit the issue, but to put into perspective the sensationalism of that article. :p 

I knew you'd lurk anyway... plus I've lost track who's upgraded.  Probably missing @Ominous and a few others with a 4090?

This does seem to be a problem bigger than it should be, as the shop should be able to compare how many 3090s have melted. Also some 4080s that have melted. Would definitely be prudent to get a full range of stats to get an idea about the rate of melted connectors for 400W+ cards new and old.

2 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I think the plug is a poor design.  HOWEVER, I also thing the location of the plug on a lot of 4090s is probably just as big an issue, particularly with how I have seen some people bend these cables to fit into cases that aren't quite big enough for them.

They've already changed the connector about 4-6 months ago where it's not recessed as much and fully connects much "sooner". The biggest issue was how much it had to be pushed in compared to the previous 8-pin cables.

EVGA's prototype card had the correct method that everyone should have used IMO: the plug was on the outer side of the card rather than the front:

EVGA-RTX4090-PROTOTYPE-9.jpg

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I knew you'd lurk anyway... plus I've lost track who's upgraded.  Probably missing @Ominous and a few others with a 4090?

This does seem to be a problem bigger than it should be, as the shop should be able to compare how many 3090s have melted. Also some 4080s that have melted. Would definitely be prudent to get a full range of stats to get an idea about the rate of melted connectors for 400W+ cards new and old.

Ominious is still running a 3090 :p 

I think Stepee, Vic and I are the only 3 crazy enough to buy 4090s :p 

As far as I'm aware the 3090/3090 Ti didn't have the issue, but it also wasn't a true 12vhpwr connector (it doesn't have the sensor pins). 

And while I'm not excusing the shit design of the 12vhpwr cable connection, I also just want to reiterate that it being roughly 100/month is insanely low as the general "acceptable" defect rate for electronics is something like 10-15%, and it's honestly no worse than the defective vapor chambers on the 7900 XTX and XT or the terrible QC for the 7xxx Ryzen BIOS that were causing actual small explosions on some boards. It's all incredibly overblown, and there's only a handful of adapters/cables that can really "wiggle" (most notoriously CableMod's gen1 right angle adapter).

I'm pretty sure 1%-5% is the acceptable defect rate, but I'm sure it depends on the market since I'd bet TVs have a higher rate than 5%, and some certain mechanical drives are definitely failure prone.  

It would be nice to ballpark an actual figure, but I don't think we have any idea of the true failure rate since it's just that one repair shop reporting their numbers. How many shops are doing that many? What is the sweet spot, in terms of length of usage before failure, for the typical 4090? At some point the rate will go down as manufacturers put the revised connector on their cards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I'm pretty sure 1%-5% is the acceptable defect rate, but I'm sure it depends on the market since I'd bet TVs have a higher rate than 5%, and some certain mechanical drives are definitely failure prone.  

It would be nice to ballpark an actual figure, but I don't think we have any idea of the true failure rate since it's just that one repair shop reporting their numbers. How many shops are doing that many? What is the sweet spot, in terms of length of usage before failure, for the typical 4090? At some point the rate will go down as manufacturers put the revised connector on their cards.

It seems to depend on who you're asking for the general acceptable defect rate for electronics, but let's use your 1-5%: even if the failure rate was 5x what we know from that one shop (which is who CableMod was sourcing with their issue btw), it's still under 0.5% and well under the industry standard.

According to the leaker, the GeForce RTX 50-series graphics card will reportedly feature TSMC's 3nm process node. It makes sense since the current GeForce RTX 40-series GPUs are on the 5nm process node, so logically, the next step would be 3nm. With the 3nm process node, TSMC promises a performance uplift of up to 15% over the 5nm process node at the same power level and number of transistors. 

Regarding power savings, the foundry claims that the 3nm process node could lower the power consumption by as much as 30%. But what's impressive about TSMC's 3nm process node is that the die sizes are estimated to be around 42% smaller than the 5nm process node.

58 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Am I the only one that thinks this is the stupidest thing they have heard all year?  I don’t understand the rationale for thinking this would be a good idea. 

• Haha 1

WWW.TOMSHARDWARE.COM

One of the most overclocking-friendly GeForce RTX 4070 graphics card may be here.

The key selling point of Maxsun's MegaGamer GeForce RTX 4070 graphics card is its three-wide cooling system featuring nine heatpipes, a vapor chamber, and as many as five fans: two 110-mm fans, one 100-mm fan, and two small fan on top of the board. These extra fans are meant to maximize cooling performance and therefore improve overclockability of the graphics board. Whether or not they have a significant impact is another question though, but certainly an overkill cooling system with a vapor chamber will make the MegaGamer GeForce RTX 4070 more expensive than other AIBs based on the same GPU.

Ugh Puredark is doing a poll for this months dlss3 mod and for some reason Kingdom Come Deliverance is winning :/ Calisto Protocol would have been cool to see run in high fps even if the game is mid or I had hoped he would do Avatar since it seems fsr3 only and fsr is meh. Second place is AC Odd/Valhalla so hopefully he picks that instead still because just giving those games good AA would be huge for them.