I hate how big video games have gotten

Fizzzzle

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

The games he mentioned don't have physical versions for PC. :p

Hell, the few PC games that get a physical release via a CE or something typically just have a download code in the box now since most PCs don’t even have optical drives anymore :p 

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Hell, the few PC games that get a physical release via a CE or something typically just have a download code in the box now since most PCs don’t even have optical drives anymore :p 

Hell, the first time tha thappened for me was Empire: Total War, and that came out well over a decade ago. I bought the game at the store and it was pretty much a steam code with a box. I was very confused.

15 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Slow. My internet now is 30mbps on a good day, any faster than that and I'd have to pay half my rent.

Steam caps out at about 4mbps.

Wow.  What I had done is have an old 1TB SSD filled up with backlog games.

When I bought the Steam Deck, I downloaded a ton of games too.  This came in handy when I was at the hospital for 3 weeks, which blocked Steam on their WiFi -- and downloading games on my cell plan wasn't going to happen.

Most of the time, I'm queing up a download weeks before I plan to play the game.

On 1/7/2023 at 3:21 AM, Fizzzzle said:

I pay $80/month for internet. My only options are Comcast or DSL, and guess how many improvements Comcast has made to their infrastructure around here in their last, say... 20 years.

Move across town where Comcast has competition with fiber and suddenly their service doesn't blow massive buttdicks. Weird how that works.

#fuckmonopolies

Things like streaming games could absolutely be the future, but it will never be widely possible/available as long as ISPs have no incentive whatsoever to improve their product in 90% of their markets.

And then they impose a datacap..cause, you know, the internet is a finite resource 

On 1/9/2023 at 6:55 PM, Ominous said:

God damn. What is it like living before Obama was first elected? 

In some cities the boundary between "good internet" and "prehistoric internet" is sometimes a simple street.

I also only pay $550/month in rent, so... You can't have everything, I guess.

I know some titles in recent years have offered a "download single player" or "download multiplayer" options so the gamer doesn't have to worry about downloading all facets of any given title if they are only going to using part of the game. Wish this was more widespread across all titles & preferred gaming consoles, at least when it is merited.

• True 1

15 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

In some cities the boundary between "good internet" and "prehistoric internet" is sometimes a simple street.

I also only pay $550/month in rent, so... You can't have everything, I guess.

Shit $550 rent? What's it like with Jimmy Carter as president,