Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - update (04/18): "Invoker Archetype" reveal trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes announced
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, Official Announcement Trailer

Looks like melee weapons are more important this time. Honestly I was very surprised at this announcement because the devs were bought by another company around launch of the first one. However the reddit for the original is still pretty active it is a popular game.

• 2 months later...
3e1dc1c58580cf7d2a34c6c8d5e6b62e16764982
FROMTHEASHES.REMNANTGAME.COM

One of the biggest features of Remnant 2 is the completely revamped Archetype system.

One of the biggest features of Remnant 2 is the completely revamped Archetype system. In the original game, Archetypes served as an initial gear loadout designed to provide a solid starting point for your journey based around a few different playstyles. Through play, everything was eventually available to every character, no matter what Archetype you started with. The only requirement was that you simply had to go out and earn it.

In Remnant 2, your starting choice matters!

While Archetypes still come with a custom gear loadout – consisting of their trademark armor set, three completely unique weapons, and their signature Archetype Trait – they also come with two amazing new additions, Archetype Perks and Archetype Skills! These new features are unlocked by gaining experience and leveling up the Archetype.

Yep, you heard that right… each Archetype has its own independent progression that unlocks exclusive gameplay features unique to that Archetype! So, let’s talk about what that means.

040a4216ff5c5d27eca69ae46260411b16753815
FROMTHEASHES.REMNANTGAME.COM

Where once life thrived in her lush jungles, all that remains is death and decay.

The Root’s tendrils have taken hold of Yaesha since a human has last set foot on the world. Where once life thrived in her lush jungles, all that remains is death and decay. The citizens of Yaesha have attempted to stem the tide, fighting back against the unrelenting forces of the Root, but this has proven to be a futile endeavor. Now, it is only a matter of time until the Root turn Yaesha into a decimated husk of a world.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "Yaesha - Fallen Paradise" and "Archetypes Breakdown" developer blog posts
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "Gunslinger Archetype Reveal Trailer"
1-ignfirst-remnant2-gunslinger-blogroll-
WWW.IGN.COM

Kicking off IGN First for March 2023, we're talking about our hands-on time with the Gunslinger archetype in Remnant 2, alongside an all-new trailer.

As you fight your way through the unforgiving hordes of Remnant 2’s procedurally generated soulslike levels, you’re going to need bullets – and a whole lot of them. And that’s where the Gunslinger archetype comes in. With a six-shooter at their hip and enough lead to bury an army of baddies, this western-themed outlaw makes ungodly levels of DPS their calling card. After going hands-on with the Gunslinger myself, I pulled out the spitoon and took a seat at the campfire with principal designer Ben Cureton to talk about the Gunslinger’s marauding ways.

“So the Gunslinger in Remnant 2 is all about weapons,” Ben told me. “They're the master of weapon handling, fire rate, and ammo generation. And the fantasy for the gunslinger is they're constantly switching between weapons. They're rarely running out of ammo. It still can happen, but it's much more rare than another class. And they shoot just much faster on average than every other class in the game. They're just a rain of bullets everywhere.”

Replacing the Ex-Cultist from the previous game, The Gunslinger is a mid-range powerhouse designed to keep the bullets flying. Unlike the reformed cultist of yesteryear though, the Gunslinger mostly drops their role as a hybrid support class and goes all-in on dealing as much damage as possible. One of the main ways the Gunslinger accomplishes that is through its Prime Perk: Loaded, which instantly reloads all of your weapons once you’ve activated any of the archetype’s skills. If I was playing my cards right, I never had to spend valuable time reloading in combat by activating my skill right when I needed a fresh magazine for my weapons.

2-ignfirst-remnant2-dynamicworldcreation
WWW.IGN.COM

Continuing our month-long IGN First coverage of Remnant 2, today we're talking about dynamic world generation in this procedurally generated soulslike shooter.

Of all the things I saw in my time playing Remnant 2, by far the coolest parts were the procedurally generated worlds I spent my time battling my way through. Like the first game, this soulslike sequel creates a fresh set of areas and enemy spawns for each player, so your time fighting the enemies of humanity feels bespoke and unique. But where Remnant: From the Ashes mostly changed up the rooms and enemy spawn points depending on what you rolled, Remnant 2 designs its randomization to change up absolutely everything: from the biome and enemy types within it to the bosses you face – even the NPCs and storylines you encounter along the way.

One area I saw in my time with Remnant 2 was Yaesha, which returns from the first game but has now been completely taken over and corrupted by The Root. But each time I played through it, I saw completely different versions of this world that were shockingly unique. In my first playthrough Yaesha appeared as a heavily wooded area filled with lizard-like creatures that would crawl down from trees to ambush me, but in my second run, those woods were replaced with a series of floating islands that were home to hovering tentacled aliens that attacked from above and surrounded me with deadly, homing attacks. In a third blitz through the exact same area, I found myself inside a dark temple almost the entire time, where I was required to make use of my flashlight as creepy cultists waited to sacrifice me to their dark deity.

remnant2blog-1678891378841.jpg?width=128
WWW.IGN.COM

Continuing IGN First's coverage of Remnant 2, today we're exclusively revealing the Handler archetype, which gives you a canine companion.

The supernatural wastelands of Remnant 2 can be a lonely place. But for those who would rather not go it alone, there’s the Handler archetype: a character class that gives you an incredibly reliable dog companion. My trusty mutt and I chewed our way through countless baddies, and even a few bosses, before I commanded principal designer Ben Cureton to “sit” and tell me all about the Handler archetype himself.

“The fantasy with the Handler is: I always have somebody that has my back, and we're cooperating, we're working together, we're taking down big enemies. I can draw aggro for it. It can draw aggro from me,” Ben explained.

Designed primarily for those who wish to play through Remnant solo, the Handler is a support class that made me a little better at everything with the help of an extremely handy dog. Not only did the dog have a chunky health bar and continuously draw attention away from me during battle and help me take down enemies with his deadly teeth, but he could be toggled into one of three modes depending on which strategy I wanted to deploy. In his Guard Dog mode, he gained the ability to howl and draw aggro from every enemy in the area, while in his Support Dog mode, he could heal me and my allies within an area of effect. Of course, if I just wanted to go on a rampage I could toggle him to Attack Dog mode and give him even more DPS. Best of all: every time I toggled between these options, the dog’s bandana would change color to reflect which role he currently had equipped.

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: new IGN First videos/articles posted, including introduction to new (Dog) Handler class
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: nine minutes of gameplay including The Mother Mind boss fight
  • 2 weeks later...
5-ignfirst-remnant2-handsonpreview-blogr
WWW.IGN.COM

Capping off IGN's month long coverage of Remnant 2, we're talking about all the ways this sequel improves upon Remnant: From the Ashes in this exclusive first hands-on preview.

In nearly every way, Remnant 2 feels like it’s shaping up to be a proper sequel to Gunfire Games’ underrated soulslike from 2019. Lovingly referred to as “Dark Souls with guns” by its community, Remnant: From The Ashes punched above its weight in many ways with just a handful of scrappy indie developers working on the project at the outset. Four years later, that team has the support of its new titanic parent company Embracer Group and has ballooned to over 60 people and counting, and in my time playing Remnant 2, the results of that doubling down were clear: this sequel seems like it’s going to absolutely rule. The gunplay is heads and shoulders above its predecessor, the buildcrafting is an RPG nerd’s dream, the enemies and bosses are relentless and badass, and the vastly improved procedural generation engine is one of the most ambitious things I’ve seen from a soulslike in a very long time.

The night before I got my hands on Remnant 2, I spent some time replaying the first game in my hotel room, and the thing that immediately struck me when booting up the sequel was just how much better it looks. Where From The Ashes was a bit drab aesthetically, Remnant 2 is absolutely bursting with color and detailed characters. Whether I was hanging around the rustic sanctuary of Ward 13 or running through Yaesha under the glow of an eerie crimson sun, the leap forward is no mere facelift – it’s a complete overhaul.

But more importantly, Remnant 2 feels much more on par with its third-person shooter peers than its predecessor in terms of both movement and combat. For starters, melee combat is not only a practical option compared to the first game’s wimpy slashing, but it actually feels good to get up close and beat someone down when bullets just won’t do. I used everything from shotguns to rifles, and even a crossbow, and each felt satisfying and ferocious (even if some felt a bit overpowered in the early version I played).

• Thanks 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: IGN First hands-on preview article/video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "The World of Yaesha" video

On Rebel FM Arthur Geis was talking about his time with the game and said the gameplay feels extremely polished compared to the first game and he is looking forward to it. I hope my computer can run it decently this looks like it will be a big hit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "The Handler" archetype reveal trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "The World of Losomn: Dran" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "The World of Losomn: Fae" video
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: developer gameplay livestream
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "Challenger Archetype" reveal trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: "The World of Remnant: Ward 13 & The Labyrinth" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: Co-Op Gameplay trailer, release date announced
rem-2-4-6487020c94ad7.jpg?crop=1.00xw:0.
WWW.DIGITALSPY.COM

Life's good, after the ashes.

After going hands-on with Remnant 2 for some hours, we're confident that not only is he right to be so pleased with the work they've done, but that Remnant 2 is shaping up to be something really special, both for new fans and old.

Visually, Remnant 2 has had a huge upgrade, not just technically but also with its colour palette. While From the Ashes had its own style that wasn't miles apart from what Darksiders had popularised, it could feel drab in places, falling into dim browns and greys. Remnant 2 is almost the complete opposite, with vibrant, warm colours filling the screen and there's so much more detail in the characters and the environments around you.

There are some major quality-of-life tweaks we've seen as well. Your stamina bar now only applies in the middle of a fight and, thankfully, your character is now able to jump across gaps, adding a much-needed layer of verticality to the world — with more avenues to search out secrets dotted around each map. Just be careful not to wander off a ledge or mistime your jump.

4151717-playday_screenshot_01.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Remnant 2 expands on what players loved about the original and smooths out the rough edges.

What really impressed me, though, was Remnant 2's world design and art direction. Levels are much bigger this time around with wide-open, fantastical skyboxes. The area I was in consisted of multiple floating islands covered with blood red foliage and connected by thick roots. Like From the Ashes, levels are procedurally generated. Layouts and enemy placement is randomized, meaning no two missions should feel the same. I only got to play one mission, so it's hard for me to say how different each one is, but what I did play felt polished and seamless. It still didn't have that very intentional level design we typically see in Souls-likes, but it seemed like a huge improvement over the original's.

The demo ended in a bombastic boss fight against a reaper-like creature that warped around the arena and fired projectiles from above. It was a fun fight that had me rolling around the arena, swapping weapons, and coordinating with my co-op buddies. The real MVP of this fight was my pup. Even though he couldn't attack the boss directly, he was able to take care of adds, heal downed teammates, and buff us whenever he could. He felt like an invaluable part of the team.

Remnant-2-PlayDay_Screenshot_03.jpg?widt
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We've played a few hours of co-op shooter Remnant 2 and reckon it's shaping up to be a bigger, betterer sequel even if it plays it pretty safe.

Sometimes all you need from a video game is a bit of bloodshed with your pals. And sometimes, all you need from a sequel is the first one, but a bit bigger and bit better. Having spent a few hours with third-person co-op shooter Remnant 2, I reckon it's shaping up to be exactly those two things. It remains unconcerned with telling groundbreaking stories or delivering breathtaking cinema in its fights - it doesn't care. From what I've played, it's more about being the looter shooter for those who care about fine-tuning the consistency of the numbers they're able to extract from their foes.

Remnant 2 is similar to its predecessor Remnant From The Ashes in one big way: it's not a live service game. If that's taken you by surprise, I don't blame you. Look at any gameplay clips of either one in action and they have the hallmarks of a live service shooter designed to persist forever and consume your entire existence. There's a very Last Of Us-style base home that has vendors who trade in shiny rocks and crystals. Currency is earned by delving into randomly generated dungeons and completing their quests, where more often than not you have to fight a fleshy mass of tendrils or a googly eye with a shotgun for an iris (I have made these up, but I bet they exist). The aim is to empty your pocket of rocks, upgrade your gear, and spend points until the campaign simply… ends.

Remnant-2-screenshot-2-1024x576.jpg
WWW.GODISAGEEK.COM

Everything is bigger and better in Remnant 2, with increased verticality, larger worlds, more biodiversity, and replayability promised.

Everything is bigger and better in Remnant 2, with increased verticality, larger worlds, more biodiversity, and near endless replayability promised. The gunplay and movement is much improved from the original, and the flora and fauna (and robots) that you have to take down are more fantastical, bigger, badder and more challenging than ever. The feel of combat and the physics engine are tangible, with your avatar being regularly thrown around balletically by explosions and attacks, and there’s a lovely meaty feel to the shooting and melee attacks. It is also hugely challenging and the huge amount of gear and items to find, as well as the diverse skills you can unlock, mean that this is going to be a compulsive and addictive proposition. Just be careful with the Hardcore mode. I watched a few other bods playing on this setting and it looks underpant-soilingly nails.

It was real pleasure to play this arcane belter and it is immediately apparent just from one day with it that this is going to be a huge hit with fans of the original, and will ensnare plenty of new fans too – myself included.

remnantiibigpic.jpg
WWW.RPGSITE.NET

Sometimes all a video game sequel needs is to expand upon what made a game great to begin with

Namely, Archetypes now have significantly more depth to them - and as you progress through the game, unlocking skill points, you'll be able to wildly customize how your chosen Archetype plays - and even eventually equip a secondary Archetype, as well. In practice, this means the "RPG" aspect of Remnant's DNA is all the more present this time around. World design has seen some tweaks, too; while still fundamentally a procedurally generated game, the scope and scale of these environments have seen a step up - as well as the fidelity of the visuals. Not everything is procedural, of course - and we had a chance to tackle some tricky puzzles in hand-crafted areas that the team was very eager to point our attention to.

Between all of the above changes, and the improvements to how your playable character controls - that alone would be enough to make us excited for what the rest of Remnant II has in store for us. That being said, we do have a number of concerns after our hands-on with the game. Namely, the lack of crossplay at launch. Now, Remnant II is far from the only title to have skipped crossplay; but with recent games releases putting much more of an emphasis on the feature, especially upcoming titles that were also at SGF, it's hard not to feel at least a little awkward about its absence. The reason this sticks out to me, namely, is that while other press had the opportunity to play Remnant II in co-op, my session is singleplayer only - and while I had a good time, and I do believe that the game will be worth playing even solo, it's undeniable that Remnant II has been designed as a co-op experience first and foremost.

Remnant II features everything you know from the first game. Its procedurally generated seeds for campaigns have been overhauled and expanded. The sequel includes new plotlines that you may or may not see depending on your generated campaign, offering a further incentive to play with friends or run a new character.

The game leans in on specific builds, offering new archetypes like the Hunter, focusing on rifles and critical hits. You can also play a dedicated support character to offer to heal your team or simply keep yourself alive in tough fights. The Handler allows you to have a very good doggo alongside you for the ride, and its perks and abilities revolve around increasing what your companion can do.

MyLh57QhvcaDr6s4DKBtfU-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

Hands-on | This challenging action game will make you nostalgic for a certain type of PS2-era shooters

Shoot, dodge roll, reload, shoot. Third-person blaster Remnant 2 very rarely gives you a second to catch your breath, throwing enemies at you from all directions and daring you to survive. 

There's something about the chaos that's oddly compelling from the moment you start playing. It could be the slightly sluggish movement that means you can't reposition yourself at a moment's notice, forcing you to think several steps ahead even as combat gets faster and more brutal. It could be that developer Gunfire Games gives you a dog. 

There are several different characters on offer at the start of my Remnant 2 preview. Hearing that one of the four archetypes has a pet dog who will fight enemies and draw aggro for you, I had a bit of a decision to make. While the other characters consisted of snipers and close-combat specialists, there was something alluring about fighting through an army of monsters while man's best friend helped me out with a couple of well-timed assists. Perhaps it goes without saying, but I made the right choice. 

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - sequel to Remnant: From the Ashes, update: SGF 2023 demo hands-on previews
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - Medic Archetype reveal trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - "The World of Remnant: N'Erud" trailer
5 hours ago, DPCyric said:

You know this game is going to be special when they just drop a chill video showing off their artistic prowess :epilepsy:

If it's even just a slight improvement over the first game it's going to be an amazing game.

My only real complaints about the first game are the perks/progression system were a bit weak/boring and the weapon/class variety was also a bit boring. It seems like they've made it an emphasis to improve both for part 2. Really looking forward to this one.

I loved Remnant and thought it managed to blend souls gameplay with RE4 better than it had any right to, but honestly I feel like the procedural generation added very little.  I remember biomes and bosses from the first game, but I couldn’t tell you the layout of a single level.  Finding there were entire quest lines I simply missed out on purely because of a world seed is more of a bummer than a motivation to reroll the world and start again.  I kind of wish they would just make a really great hand crafted world then do the piecemeal thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - "The Hunter Archetype" reveal trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Remnant II (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 25 July 2023) - "Hunter Archetype" reveal trailer