Can you guys give me writing prompts?

Fizzzzle

7 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

@Fizzzzle - what historical period do you enjoy researching the most?  That would be helpful to know to provide the prompt.

Any, really. Asian history is pretty hard because 90% of historical records have never been translated or is a translation of a third-hand account of a translation of something that maybe happened.

My favorites are colonial-American history, wild west history, or honestly any European history that doesn't have anything to do with the Roman Empire. The Roman Empire kind of bores me for some reason. I think I had to study it too much in school.

3 hours ago, Bacon said:

How about some European war that has mentions of the (not real) supernatural if there are any like that.

That could be interesting. Dracula is the first thing that comes to mind, though no one at the time thought there was anything supernatural about him. However, there WAS a Romanian countess who killed virgin peasant girls and allegedly bathed in/drank their blood. Or maybe she was Hungarian, I don't remember. It doesn't have anything to do with war, though.

There's also the conversion of Constantine, which in my opinion was Constantine basically pulling a Trump and whipping up a fanatical base to support him in a way that mirrors Hitler, Mussolini, Trump, and lots of other strong men. He saw the Christians of Rome as a fanatical base that he could rile up to do anything he wanted as long as they thought it appeased God. He manipulated people into thinking God chose him, so anything he wanted was automatically God's will. He weaponized Christianity. It all started from a single battle, allegedly. It's been a long time since I read about Constantine, I can't remember how much of the story is a myth.

You know what? I think that sounds pretty fun. I know I said Roman history bores me, but drawing a parallel to modern times and making Constantine sound like a massive dick makes it palatable. And I can't think of anything else in European history about supernatural armies or anything like that.

• Halal 1

On 11/13/2022 at 6:20 PM, Fizzzzle said:

making Constantine sound like a massive dick makes it palatable...

Let's not forget these delightful acts of Constantine the Great!

Constantine had his eldest son Crispus seized and put to death by "cold poison" at Pola (Pula, Croatia) sometime between 15 May and 17 June 326. In July, he had his wife Empress Fausta (stepmother of Crispus) killed in an overheated bath. Their names were wiped from the face of many inscriptions, references to their lives were eradicated from the literary record, and their memory was condemned. 

• Halal 1

On 11/14/2022 at 8:20 AM, Fizzzzle said:

That could be interesting. Dracula is the first thing that comes to mind, though no one at the time thought there was anything supernatural about him. However, there WAS a Romanian countess who killed virgin peasant girls and allegedly bathed in/drank their blood. Or maybe she was Hungarian, I don't remember. It doesn't have anything to do with war, though.

There's also the conversion of Constantine, which in my opinion was Constantine basically pulling a Trump and whipping up a fanatical base to support him in a way that mirrors Hitler, Mussolini, Trump, and lots of other strong men. He saw the Christians of Rome as a fanatical base that he could rile up to do anything he wanted as long as they thought it appeased God. He manipulated people into thinking God chose him, so anything he wanted was automatically God's will. He weaponized Christianity. It all started from a single battle, allegedly. It's been a long time since I read about Constantine, I can't remember how much of the story is a myth.

You know what? I think that sounds pretty fun. I know I said Roman history bores me, but drawing a parallel to modern times and making Constantine sound like a massive dick makes it palatable. And I can't think of anything else in European history about supernatural armies or anything like that.

How about an alt-history where Julian the Apostate survives, and drags the Roman Empire back to paganism? 

• Halal 1
  • Sicko Sherman 1

A really fun one to ponder, if you're into alternate history:

The year is 701 BC. King Sennacherib of the Assyrian Empire decides to expand his empire into the Levant. He runs a brutal campaign of subjugation, easily conquering every city to the coast. The Kingdom of Israel falls, the Philistine cities fall, any Phoenician cities that were still independent fall, and Sennacherib starts a rampage through the Kingdom of Judah. He conquers every city, one by one. Only one city remains unconquered.

That city is Jerusalem.

Sources differ on what happened, but Sennacherib definitely put the city under siege. Sources differ in how the siege ended, but most likely the King of Judah paid off the Assyrians to leave the city alone. Jerusalem became a semi-autonomous protectorate of the Assyrian Empire until the empire fell nearly 100 years later.

Why is this important? Because the Assyrians captured and enslaved most people they conquered. They also banned the Jewish faith. It was only in Jerusalem that Judaism was allowed to be practiced openly. The Assyrians were brutal conquerors. Had they succeeded in conquering the city, it's entirely possible that the Jewish faith would have died out.

The ripple effects of that on society are so massive that we can't even begin to speculate how the world would be different. If the Jewish faith died out, that means no Christianity, that means no unifying faith in Europe, that means no Islam, that means the Arab conquests (if they happen at all) look entirely different, etc. Hell, that even means that Japan wouldn't have isolated itself. Not to mention, "spreading the faith" was absolutely an important part of European expansion. It may have been a smokescreen to hide the true intentions of most to get rich, but it was absolutely a necessary smokescreen to legitimize what they were doing in places like the Americas.

• Halal 1