Netflix reveals details about upcoming ad-supported tier, including pricing and launch date

heydude93

It amazes me that the entertainment industry had, for all intents and purposes for 99% of people, basically eliminated piracy for a few years by simply making their content convenient to watch through streaming. Over the last couple years, it seems like they are trying everything they can to undo that progress.

You can take 50% of something or 100% of nothing. We live in the internet age now, if you make it too much of a pain in the ass/too expensive to consume your content, people will just pirate it.

Anecdotally, I used to pirate basically everything. I pretty much stopped pirating content in like 2015 because streaming became extremely easy and affordable. The more complicated and expensive this shit gets, the more attractive those seven seas becomes.

• Like 1
  • True 1

I’m actually not sure why the ad-supported plan is getting so much hate. Other streaming services, even Hulu, have had a version of this since their inception. It’s not like they’re adding advertisements into the current plan or putting this at the current ad-free price to jack that price up or whatever.

That being said, the streaming quality being limited to 720p is pretty garbage. At least do full HD.

• 1 year later...