Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - "Season 1" trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

I still haven't played SF6. As someone who's not a big fighter player, but occasionally plays one for a bit, which would you recommend more: Tekken 8, or SF6? They both seem like they made a lot of strides and may more accessible for new players.

3 minutes ago, legend said:

I still haven't played SF6. As someone who's not a big fighter player, but occasionally plays one for a bit, which would you recommend more: Tekken 8, or SF6? They both seem like they made a lot of strides and may more accessible for new players.

What are your intentions when you want to play one of these games what kind of recommendation are you looking for?

Like just based on ease of playing and the tools to help you learn how to play? Anything else that you're interested in between the two?

My thumbs are so sore @Keyser_Soze lol. I understand completely. I’ve played a lot of online matches.  Both quick play and ranked. Haven’t had 1 slowdown , hiccup, or disconnect. You think this has anything to do with it only being only on next gen consoles and PC? I remember Tekken 7 I would lose connection all the damn time. 

Also I’m using the EzPz controls which allows he to atleast have a chance with far superior players it seems like. No shame in my game. I don’t care what other players feel about it. I’m just not good enough to use normal controls and pull off those dang combos. 

2 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ve played a lot of online matches.  Both quick play and ranked. Haven’t had 1 slowdown , hiccup, or disconnect. You think this has anything to do with it only being only on next gen consoles and PC? I remember Tekken 7 I would lose connection all the damn time.

They had a pretty big budget for this one and I think they put an emphasis on having better online play than they previously did. They had like 3 closed betas or something. Tekken 7 was notoriously iffy and it sounds like their effort for 8 really paid off. The only online I've done so far is spectate, but I'll get there eventually. :p

As for being a next gen only thing, I don't think so. From my understanding rollback has to be built into the game, and they did that from the beginning which they didn't do with Tekken 7. It's not something you can just throw in.

2 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They had a pretty big budget for this one and I think they put an emphasis on having better online play than they previously did. They had like 3 closed betas or something. Tekken 7 was notoriously iffy and it sounds like their effort for 8 really paid off. The only online I've done so far is spectate, but I'll get there eventually. :p

Voyeur :sickos:

4 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@stepee Check these settings out. It appears you can get more granular with them if you tweak the right files.

STEAMCOMMUNITY.COM

The graphics settings of Tekken 8 are pretty barebones and it does not allow one to, do even the most basic settings like disable chromatic aberration or disable upscaling. This guide will help you do all the basic and advanced settings for this game and will also let you optimize your game for better...

Like by default Anistropic Filtering isn't at 16 and Chromatic Aberration is on (and tied to the post processing effects like I thought)

I don’t want to turn off the DOF but I’ll have to try the other options. When I tried res scale it wasn’t working for me for some reason but maybe that gets weird with the upsampling.

• Halal 1

1 hour ago, legend said:

I'm a Tekken guy

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

What are your intentions when you want to play one of these games what kind of recommendation are you looking for?

Like just based on ease of playing and the tools to help you learn how to play? Anything else that you're interested in between the two?

I guess a strong solo component is good. If I really get into it I might try multiplayer. 

Just now, stepee said:

I did those extra detail level settings and along with 6k DLAA it’s flexing my gpu now. It’s looks crazy good. I started the story mode as well, it’s ridiculous! Gonna be a fun ride.

I didn't even know 6k was a thing lol. Jesus.

1 hour ago, legend said:

I guess a strong solo component is good. If I really get into it I might try multiplayer. 

I guess another question is have you ever played a game from either series? That could also maybe inform your decision.

In terms of a solo component I would say that SF6 has a slight edge.

Street Fighter 6 has world tour mode which is a pretty robust single player mode. This mode also kind of teaches you how to play a bit. Additionally it has a story mode for each character though it's not very challenging.

I would say Tekken's story mode is probably longer with more production values and possibly more appealing from a casual perspective. It has an "arcade quest" mode similar to SF6, I haven't finished it but I couldn't imagine it being longer than World Tour. But it does a good job of teaching you how to play the game as well.

In terms of accessibility both games do have an easier control method mode thing. SF6 has classic and modern controls and super easy control mode where you push one button. Tekken has normal controls and an easy combo mode or something, I haven't tried it.

Both games do have a demo so I would say try the demo out and see which one you like plays more.

It's really hard to recommend one over the other since they are really different things.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1

40 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I didn't even know 6k was a thing lol. Jesus.

My tv is only 4k because 8k oled’s are cray still but you can still render the game at 6k-8k and the downsample on pc to get ridiculous image quality (essentially getting rid of most of the aliasing)

• Shocked 1

Just now, stepee said:

My tv is only 4k because 8k oled’s are cray still but you can still render the game at 6k-8k and the downsample on pc to get ridiculous image quality (essentially getting rid of most of the aliasing)

What other games have you done that for?

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

What other games have you done that for?

Usually older stuff or things limited to 60fps. But like Ys9, Persons 5, Killer Instinct, NFS Unbound, and Vampyr. I target 120fps first, then if I have room I’ll go to 6k next, 8k if room after that.

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I guess another question is have you ever played a game from either series? That could also maybe inform your decision.

In terms of a solo component I would say that SF6 has a slight edge.

Street Fighter 6 has world tour mode which is a pretty robust single player mode. This mode also kind of teaches you how to play a bit. Additionally it has a story mode for each character though it's not very challenging.

I would say Tekken's story mode is probably longer with more production values and possibly more appealing from a casual perspective. It has an "arcade quest" mode similar to SF6, I haven't finished it but I couldn't imagine it being longer than World Tour. But it does a good job of teaching you how to play the game as well.

In terms of accessibility both games do have an easier control method mode thing. SF6 has classic and modern controls and super easy control mode where you push one button. Tekken has normal controls and an easy combo mode or something, I haven't tried it.

Both games do have a demo so I would say try the demo out and see which one you like plays more.

It's really hard to recommend one over the other since they are really different things.

I've played both, series to some minor extent in the past, but never much. I think I owned one of the Tekken games on PS2 back in the day. Mostly played SF at friends houses back in the day.

• Hugs 1

22 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Nothing will beat playing Soul Calibur on Dreamcast for the first time. Not only did it look incredible it was the best fighting game to be released at that time. 

Special Dreamcast magic made it better looking than the arcade version too.

• True 1

The background locations are really cool when you play online. This is probably the best Tekken has felt in a long time. Rarely do I feel I got steamrolled online because of some button mashing shit. 9/10 it’s because I tried something I shouldn’t have and it clicks in my mind “uh oh you just fucked up” lol

18 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The background locations are really cool when you play online. This is probably the best Tekken has felt in a long time. Rarely do I feel I got steamrolled online because of some button mashing shit. 9/10 it’s because I tried something I shouldn’t have and it clicks in my mind “uh oh you just fucked up” lol

I never understand or comprehend how people get so skilled at games. It's crazy. 

2 hours ago, legend said:

I've played both, series to some minor extent in the past, but never much. I think I owned one of the Tekken games on PS2 back in the day. Mostly played SF at friends houses back in the day.

Let is us know what you decide. AI vs AI matches are always fascinating. :daydream:

• Haha 2

@legend A couple of other things kind of slipped my mind that Tekken has that I didn't mention. Tekken Ball of course but there's also a big ghost data feature that I mentioned a while ago. You can download and play people's ghosts but on top of that you can download data of people you've played against and play a scenario you were in and practice against it. Like maybe you got your ass whupped online and you don't know what to do. Well you can get the data from that match and practice against some move the guy was doing that you didn't know how to defend so you can actually learn against a real person and improve yourself that way.

I know I said something similar yesterday but I'm really starting to get a hang of these inputs. I did the Azucena combo trials last night and breezed through them. Granted her moves are easier than the other two I tried but it's still a challenge to get them right. I'm just getting them right sooner now.

I also decided I might stick with Reina. She's complicated as hell, has like 3 different stances she does moves out, has a parry (which needs to be frame perfect so it's very hard to pull off lol) but I'm getting a slight grasp of what she does so I'll fool around with her a bit more.

Also I played the first chapter of the story mode. Wild stuff!

• Hype 1

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

@legend A couple of other things kind of slipped my mind that Tekken has that I didn't mention. Tekken Ball of course but there's also a big ghost data feature that I mentioned a while ago. You can download and play people's ghosts but on top of that you can download data of people you've played against and play a scenario you were in and practice against it. Like maybe you got your ass whupped online and you don't know what to do. Well you can get the data from that match and practice against some move the guy was doing that you didn't know how to defend so you can actually learn against a real person and improve yourself that way.

Thanks! That is a very cool feature!

On 1/26/2024 at 12:36 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah no cap for me either. 🫂

being a dedicated gamer in anyway shape or form these days would be fuc&%d with data caps or any for really. AAA games averaging say 60 gigs and 5-15 gig patches every other day it seems would REALLY make you micromanage and that's just not me. I have never had a download cap except on early cell phone contracts, never on Internet. Past 15 years though zero cap. I'm on Spectrum's 500 gig plan but soon uping that to their 1000 plan. I can't see many Internet companies charging extra for caps in 2024. It's to limiting. I'm sure some still slow you down though sneakily on the background...!!!

I still like SF6 as a fighting game better, SF is just my favorite, but I think I like this package better. My issue with the world tour mode in SF6 is that I want to play as the world warriors, not some custom avatar thing. Same issue I had with Mario Golf switch. Dont have custom characters in beloved franchises! 

Here you get the full on cinematic story mode but even the Arcade mode is more my speed because you walk around with an Avatar but fights are still with the regular characters. I prefer that.

Then you just have much more robust individual stories as well. And Tekken Ball. And the ghosts. It’s so good.

• Halal 1

42 minutes ago, stepee said:

I think I’m half way through the story and it really is a lot of fun! I’m glad Panda has a decent part in it too. I love me a complete package like this. Bring on Tekken Force dlc!

I got to chapter 5 and holy shit it’s awesome! Really well done. I’m also enjoying online more than I thought. Tekken 7 was not a good experience online but 8 is pure butter for me. The arcade hub is great I agree. So many things to do in there. Overall this is the best Tekken I’ve played. 

• Halal 2

40 minutes ago, stepee said:

I still like SF6 as a fighting game better, SF is just my favorite, but I think I like this package better. My issue with the world tour mode in SF6 is that I want to play as the world warriors, not some custom avatar thing. Same issue I had with Mario Golf switch. Dont have custom characters in beloved franchises! 

Here you get the full on cinematic story mode but even the Arcade mode is more my speed because you walk around with an Avatar but fights are still with the regular characters. I prefer that.

Then you just have much more robust individual stories as well. And Tekken Ball. And the ghosts. It’s so good.

And I totally understand if you prefer SF6. It’s good too. I think it really depends on which characters you connect with. For me, I was playing Tekken way back on the PS2, PS3, and PSP.  So I love the characters. The characters in SF6 are great but in a different way. I don’t really have any connections or dem feels for them. Both are excellent fighting games though. 

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

And I totally understand if you prefer SF6. It’s good too. I think it really depends on which characters you connect with. For me, I was playing Tekken way back on the PS2, PS3, and PSP.  So I love the characters. The characters in SF6 are great but in a different way. I don’t really have any connections or dem feels for them. Both are excellent fighting games though. 

Yeah SF2 was the first fighter I owned and what i got alongside my SNES so it makes sense it’s my fav. Then I really fell in love with SF Alpha 2 Gold on Saturn and that made me a huge Akuma fan. Wish they would give me him in SF6 already! I really dug Tekken 3 though, but then Soul Calibur took over for me. I forgot I did get into Tekken 5 when that dropped on ps3 a bit too, so I was more familiar with the series than I remembered. 

Either way it’s a great time to be a fighting game fan…unless you are a Virtua Fighter fan!