Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC) - "Eddy Gordo - Gameplay Reveal" trailer

Commissar SFLUFAN

They had a pretty long presentation for this

I guess the highlights are:

- It has a Q AI that can learn from you or other people and you can fight against the AI (Using AI for good? @legend )

- They have their own version of battle hub but instead of SF6's characters this one uses characters that look like Xbox Avatars

- Every character has a story mode

- There's an Arcade quest mode that teaches you how to play

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "The Return of Legends - New Character Reveal Trailer"
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "The Return of Legends - New Character Reveal" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Victor Chevalier - Reveal & Gameplay" trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Reina - Reveal & Gameplay" trailer
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Leo - Reveal & Gameplay" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Steve Fox - Reveal & Gameplay" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Duganov - Reveal & Gameplay" trailer
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - "Yoshimitsu - Reveal & Gameplay" trailer

More recent previews:

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

Tekken 8's director Katsuhiro Harada, and producer Micheal Murray walk us through the return of Jun, Kuma's gi, and the state of the fighting genre.

WWW.THEGAMER.COM

We already knew that Tekken 8’s combat was excellent, but its single-player content is a knockout victory as well.

Tekken 8 might not be out until next year, but as anyone who has played the awfully named CNT beta can attest, it’s already shaping up to be one of the series’ best. A worthy follow-up to the excellent seventh entry thanks to its more aggressive combat and stunning visuals. It’s scoring a 10 for Marshall Law’s pecs alone.

Even with close to ten hours of Tekken 8 under my belt at this point, I’ve been holding back my excitement somewhat. As awesome as the beta tests have proven online and versus modes to be, the jury is still out on the single-player component, and that’s the thing that I come to this series for more than anything else.

If you’re like me and have been keeping your expectations in check until we saw more of what Tekken 8 has to offer, then it’s time to start getting excited. I’m happy to report that Tekken 8’s solo offerings are not only excellent, but just might rival similar modern greats like Street Fighter 6.

CHECKPOINTGAMING.NET

We played TEKKEN 8's many game modes and story and... wow!

This game unfolds six months after the events of TEKKEN 7, continuing the longstanding saga of the Mishima family and their chaotic history. The central focus of the story revolves around the final confrontation between Kazuya Mishima and Jin Kazama. The storyline delves deep into their complex relationship, with Jin driven by the desire to end the chaos and conflict stemming from their lineage.

We played the first few chapters of the story mode, starting with an action-packed fight between the two in the middle of Times Square, New York. As a new Iron Fist Tournament looms, the narrative promises to explore the consequences of their actions and the impact on the Mishima legacy, offering a compelling and emotionally charged journey for players.

It’s clear from only the brief time we played that TEKKEN 8 takes stakes to the next level. The budget feels bigger, the story is captivating, and with such an impactful start you really have no idea what could happen next. It’s safe to say this may be the wildest narrative in series history and we can’t wait to see how it goes.

PRESS-START.COM.AU

Tekken 8 Hands-On Preview – Having A Ball

With thirty years of history behind it, and absolutely no signs of slowing down, Tekken 8 is just over a month away from launching. It’s crazy to think that the polygonal fighter that launched in arcades in 1994 would have had such longevity, but that’s a testament to Bandai Namco’s pursuit of development coupled with a storyline that wouldn’t be out of place in the most batshit insane anime series. Tekken 8 is good to go – but it’s the waiting that’s the hardest part.

The most interesting part of Tekken 8’s development this time around is the lack of arcade presence, which is due to the decline of the arcade scene in Japan, the rising costs of hardware for arcade cabinets and the consistent rise in online gaming. Where previous titles had arcade releases almost 12 months prior to their launch on consoles, Bandai Namco have instead utilised the likes of the Closed Network Test and Closed Beta Test to carry out vital research and development for Tekken next iteration.

Thanks to Bandai Namco Entertainment we were lucky enough to get a last-look preview at the final game before its launch in January, not only experiencing the various modes the game has to offer, but also getting a peek at the underlying narrative that fuels the events of the game – the blood feud between Kazuya Mishima and Jin Kazama in the aftermath of Heihachi Mishima’s death.

The first fight in Tekken 8’s story mode would probably be the finale in just about any other fighting game. A multi-stage, knockdown, drag-out slobberknocker between Jin Kazama and Kazuya Mishima that results in a crashed helicopter, leveled buildings, and an aerial sequence that wouldn’t look out of place in The Matrix Revolutions or Man of Steel. All of this to say… It's incredibly hype. This isn’t a spoiler, by the way. It’s the first ten to fifteen minutes. And it only gets more interesting from there. But before we get into all that, let me set the scene, and introduce the players.

I spent about three hours playing Tekken 8 this past week. I started with the story mode. From the word go, you’ll notice how incredible everything looks, to the point that certain transitions between cinematics and gameplay are sometimes hard to spot. And then there are the fights themselves: alternatively brutal, wild, and unique affairs that change depending on what is happening in the story. What struck me most was how intimate many of the fights felt. Things going badly for your character in the cinematics? You might start the next scrap at lower health, or be unable to use certain techniques. Alternatively, you might also have access to several moves that would be too powerful for normal play or gain access to new stuff when the plot calls for it. There’s a sense of continuity and escalation to the fights that many fighting game story modes don’t have, and being able to fight the same character several times in succession helps sell the uniqueness of their fighting styles, their relationships with the other fighters, and the stakes at play.

WWW.VG247.COM

'My Replay & Tips' was introduced later on in the Tekken 7 life cycle, but it might be Tekken 8’s secret weapon.

“If you've noticed, some people are like ‘yeah, we need to teach people how play new games,’ and then they just have a long-ass tutorial where you go through a menu and pick all the stuff, and it teaches you what it means in the game,” says Tekken 8 producer (and long-time Tekken advocate), Michael ‘Mishimaikeru’ Murray.

“In Tekken, that’s something that [veteran developer] Katsuhiro Harada, in particular, hates. “He always says that ‘you have to learn the game through playing it’ and ‘we can’t just have a straight-up tutorial. You have to have fun with the game whilst you’re playing it.”

That philosophy has never been more present than in Tekken 8, a game that contains a nearly-embarrassing level of content on-disc at launch. Aside from the modes that are expected in a post-Mortal Kombat X world (like a cinematic story mode, character episodes, and Tekken’s funky new online-adjacent single-player mode, Arcade Quest), Tekken 8 has got one of the most robust and beginner-friendly training modes I’ve ever seen in a fighting game. And I’ve been playing since the mid-90s!

WWW.VG247.COM

Michael Murray and Kohei Ikeda on Tekken 8's great value proposition and on-disc content offering.

Tekken 8 might be one of the most confident games I’ve seen in years. Aside from the fact that it is a belter of a fighting game, the developers and marketing types at Bandai Namco seem to know that they’ve got something special on their hands. Just look at what we’ve seen from Tekken 8 so far; a wealth of trailers, some incredible roster announcement, two different online playtests ahead of launch, and – now – a massive single-player focused demo that lets you try a significant amount of the game ahead of launch.

Think back to the skinnier launch packet of Tekken 7, or the lean offering Street Fighter 5 had at launch – and it seems like a lifetime ago. It seems like fighting games, more than any other genre right now, are making amends for the past.

WWW.PUSHSQUARE.COM

Serious Heat - We were lucky enough to spend close to an entire day with Tekken 8 at a recent Bandai Namco press event —...

We were lucky enough to spend close to an entire day with Tekken 8 at a recent Bandai Namco press event — and we walked away from the experience thoroughly impressed. We've had high hopes for the long-running series' latest instalment for quite some time — especially since we're such big fans of Tekken 7 — but going hands-on with a near-final build of Tekken 8 really solidified our belief that this bone-crunching fighter could be something very special.

All 32 characters were available in the PS5 build we played, and while a number of game modes were closed off, we could blast through the first few chapters of the dedicated story campaign, and dive into Arcade Quest — a single-player adventure that should add a lot of weight to Tekken 8's offline offerings.

For the purposes of this preview, we're going to categorise our thoughts mode by mode (and yes, we did get to enjoy the revered return of Tekken Ball).

• Hype 1

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - final hands-on previews articles/videos posted
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Tekken 8 (PS5/Xbox Series/PC, 26 January 2024) - Official Story Trailer

The arcade mode is certainly cute, but I’ll get into that when it actually releases. If you just want to play some matches to preview the game I recommend vs cpu or online. I think it’s a cool mode though. 

The game looks phenomenal! It’s nice that this gen between this and SF6, MK is the one that needs to step it up with content now!

I can see just waiting since it’s so close and obviously great but I had to check it out a little to see them current gen gfx. Cant wait to see how this looks on pc, it already looks  fantastic on console. 

Cdkeys has the $110 ultimate edition for just $10 more than the normal edition costs on Steam so I felt pretty good copping that preorder jusr now!

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Yeah in Max's video he said that the AI is very easy even on the hardest difficulty.

No it’s just I’m really good. lol no but yeah even I actually set it to hard.

4 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’ll try this on Xbox next week when the demo drops but the dualsense has such a buttery smooth d-pad I don’t see Xbox beating it. 

I think you're the one that insisted the Xbox controller is superior to the PS5's controller. I found out today you are dead on because playing Forbidden West was kinda hurting my hands. Playing RDR2 on Xbox feels fantastic. I didn't realize the PS5 had a better D-pad though. 

I'd dl Tekken to check out the visuals but I got rid of my PlayStation sub and no longer have XBL. 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Here's the Digital Foundry tech preview of Tekken 8, which we got to play at an event last week. Does building on UE5 -…

As 2023 comes to a close, I think it's fair to say that the fighting game genre is in a great spot. Capcom and NetherRealm both launched stellar new entries in their respective franchises this year, with Street Fighter 6 in particular righting the wrongs of the previous numbered entry. In January of 2024, Bandi-Namco will unleash Tekken 8 - and I've played a near-final version of the game at an event, so I wanted to share my initial thoughts. This the first new fighting game to ship on Unreal Engine 5 while also skipping last-gen consoles and the Switch - so how does it fare thus far?

During my time with Tekken 8, I had a chance to play several different modes including the story mode, the arcade quest mode and Tekken Ball - more than what's available in the publicly available demo. As feature-packed as Street Fighter 6 and MK1 are, there's a sense that Tekken 8 might still have the most to offer.

Based on the first chapter of the story mode, this section feels like a natural evolution of what was achieved in Tekken 7 via a formula arguably pioneered in Mortal Kombat 9. That is to say that cutscenes and event sequences are used to chain together battles to tell a larger story.