Games that shook off bad pre-release vibes and reviewed well?

crispy4000

I got thinking about this with Sonic Frontiers lately.  Sega's stood by it having high metascore hopes, though the preview reception so far is mixed.  The game could be as bad as the negative previews suggest.  But if it ended up being a genuinely good... would most reviewers today see it that way on release?  Or is there too much nostalgia-fueled baggage to make anything less than a Generations/Mania sequel palpable?

Honestly curious what games this board remembers that pulled a 180 with the press.  This is the biggest I can remember:

MetroidPrimebox.jpg

And more recently...

Halo_Infinite.png

Just to clarify, there's been plenty of turn around stories post-release.  Those are a dime a dozen nowadays.  Not what I'm referring to.

4 hours ago, Bacon said:

I've never heard of Halo:I being any good. All I have ever seen is people once again shitting on 343i like they deserve. 

hUZmeJOqPmnS05kd5QdQwsR4yHOOZtitFeRmjmAq
OPENCRITIC.COM

Halo Infinite's multiplayer is nearly perfect, presenting a free and cross-platform offering with genre-defining potential. In the contrast, the campaign is sufficient for any fan of the series.

Reviewers loved it on release, which is why I brought it up.

48 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

Reviewers loved it on release, which is why I brought it up.

I mean, sure, but I haven't looked at a critical review in years. I assumed your "reviewed well" meant also by the players. 90% of major critical reviews don't mean squat. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I mean, sure, but I haven't looked at a critical review in years. I assumed your "reviewed well" meant also by the players. 90% of major critical reviews don't mean squat. 

Most of the people shitting on Halo Infinite are shitfaces anyway so you probably shouldn't listen to them either.

23 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Was pretty specific about it being the press / critic consensus.

2 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. From a leaked Ubisoft document to Miyamoto holding a gun, it had a weird lead up to release. 

Not a game but the Nintendo Switch was all over the place in opinion before it released. 

Whats crazy is when they announced the $300 price I was bummed, because I wanted it to succeed, and thought that was too high for what I viewed at the time as a handheld with the power of a wiiu. I thought it would struggle at first like the 3DS because of that. And here we are over 5 years later and it still goes for $300! Even introduced a more expensive model. Yeah there is the lite for the $200 range but obviously they removed a lot there.

But yeah at the time I thought they should have taken an initial hardware loss to make it a success but was obviously very very wrong.

But also part of that is yeah I didn’t really understand how powerful it was (for a handheld at the time) until later. Besides Zelda there didn’t seem like much was flexing it for awhile but by the time Skyrim came out it started becoming obvious.

I think one overlooked game would be Batman Arkham Asylum I would include this because for years and years no one could put together a good Batman or even superhero game together. So to think a pretty unknown studio for their 2nd game should have no problem doing what no one has been able to do for years. I think WB Games thought the same because I remember first week of release it was only $35Cnd. Fuck me did they get my attention and the entire gaming community. Who, let’s face it, we’re also thinking that no one could pull off a good Batman game. 

maybe include Conker’s Bad Furday Just because of the development hell of being a cutesy platform game and doing a 180. Going on to be the (at the time) most foul mouth game I had ever seen/played. I think even more shocking because Nintendo released this game 

8 hours ago, chakoo said:

Wasn't apex looked down on at launch?

This might be bending it alot but the fortnight reboot seems like another. The initial release was panned and the reboot was looked at as just stealing PUBG.

My recollection of Apex was certainly surprise at just how good it was, but I am not sure if people thought it would be actually bad since it was the titanfall folks. But titanfall is one of those games that the press freaking adored, so they also may have been bitter we were getting a battle royale from them instead of a titanfall game. 

Fortnite is weird cuz it’s hard to pinpoint when it actually released. It more built momentum over time and became beloved by its core audience before the press was almost forced to cover it.