Trigun Stampede - New 3D Anime from Studio Orange | Out Now!

On 4/1/2023 at 1:21 PM, LazyPiranha said:

They probably didn’t call it a prequel but it strictly speaking isn’t.  A spiritual prequel maybe, but if you rolled straight from the end of Stampede into the first episode of 1998, it doesn’t make any sense.

I was just having this conversation with a friend of mine. He was asking if it would make sense to now go watch the 98 anime and if things would just slot in close enough, even with the changes.

I guess the biggest thing would be his some stuff that is covered in Stampede that was pulled from the manga wouldn't be mentioned at all. Nobody from Earth would probably be the biggest thing.

For those that have read all of Maximum, how much does Stampede break? I know it grabbed some characters from later in Maximum and introduced them earlier. I mean, considering how important a character like Livio is, that probably makes some sense. I guess the biggest thing that wouldn't make sense is Meryl and Wolfwood already know Vash. When they reunite, Vash isn't going to know them thanks to the amnesia, so his side of things remains the same. I'm not convinced Monev or Mine being dead prior to July really changes anything. Am I missing anything?

Monev and Minre being dead is a big one, Meryl and Wolfwood not remembering Vash is big too.  Then you have other minor quibbles like the Nebraska family, the steamer assault already happening, and Home being a totally different place.  Vash would basically need a newer, shittier mechanical arm to be built by some of the same people but who will act totally differently.  The Beast just being a person with a whistle on his ear doesn’t track anymore.  A huge difference would be that Vash and Knives walked the planet together until young adulthood instead of separating immediately and how July got destroyed is totally different.  How Vash got his silver gun would be impossible in Stampede.  Also it would be really weird for Vash to fake amnesia AGAIN and pretend to be Erika’s after it already happened once, and that’s assuming his amnesia at the end of Stampede is legit and not self imposed.

The final episode of the dub dropped this past weekend, and it was pretty great! Absolutely stellar action set pieces, the music and voice acting were excellent, and there was genuine dramatic impact. This season has felt a bit rushed, it needed to either make things simpler and introduce less ideas and concepts, especially since they are doing a season 2, so you can live with the characters more when you only have 12 episodes, or it just needed to adapt the manga. That being said, it was great seeing Trigun animated again.

LazyPiranha nailed it with the differences, and given the hints in the final episode, it seems season 2 will continue to be a reimagining, and won't just course correct and adapt the manga. I'm fine with that at this point, this was a pretty good first season with an excellent, if somewhat rushed, finale. I think it isn't fair to compare this show to the 1998 anime until we get a second season of 12 episodes, which gives us about the same amount of episodes at that point between the two.