Trigun Stampede - New 3D Anime from Studio Orange | Out Now!

48 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is there a real market for anime physical media from that era? I know Ranma got treated well but I figure the audience for that is probably larger than some of the other stuff.

Oh yeah lots of stuff is getting remastered and re-released all the time. Nozomi brings back a lot of old shows and companies like Diskotek have been doing good work on restoration as well.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Is there a real market for anime physical media from that era? I know Ranma got treated well but I figure the audience for that is probably larger than some of the other stuff.

Personally I don't care about the physical media part, but there is definitely a market for top quality old anime transfers, but physical media seems to be the only way to get it online. Streaming options always just base themselves off of previously released versions so if there's only SD quality or DVD quality out there, that's what he streaming option usually will be. An HD release through physical media seems to be the only way to get a top notch option for anime.

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Trigun Stampede - New 3D Anime from Studio Orange | Out Now!

I really liked the first episode. I still think the child Vash and Knives were rough, but all the animation, character designs, and facial expressions were great. This is a serious step up for Orange.

That said, the first episode felt very pilot-y. Pacing was crazy brisk and there was a ton to unpack there. I'm hoping this really was a pilot and episode two gets the pacing better in check. Otherwise, I have no complaints, Milly and insurance adjusters be damned.

• Thanks 1

Not sure how I feel about it after the first episode. Compared to OG the tone felt weird. Mainly because in one episode that has an adventure like the sillier first half of OG Trigun we also get Rem and her death, we know Knives did it, we know Knives wants to kill all of humanity, we know Vash has a fake arm indicating he lost his real one, and they're already planting the seeds that Vash and Knives may not be human. 

It's like they're laying almost all the cards on the table from the OG show in the first episode. As though they're in a hurry to get it all out there because the audience will be fans of the OG, so no sense waiting. Maybe they have some interesting new twists and revelations coming. I guess we will see. 

Also the climax to this first adventure felt a little absurd, but not in the normally fun way Trigun is absurd. And then all through the episode it was like they wanted to have moments that kind of mirrored stuff in the OG show's first episode, but it doesn't always feel like it well planned other than "we should have this, because the OG did it." Too many Easter eggs. 

animation is mostly good, with the occasional moments of the anime equivalent to the “uncanny valley”. 

• Thanks 1

Pacing was better with the second episode. Yeah, this Vash is very extreme along the don't kill, can't we all just get along line. I can't believe this series got me to actually like and empathize with fucking Gofsef and the Nebraska Family.

24 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

It's like they're laying almost all the cards on the table from the OG show in the first episode. As though they're in a hurry to get it all out there because the audience will be fans of the OG, so no sense waiting. Maybe they have some interesting new twists and revelations coming. I guess we will see. 

I imagine a large part of that is because there's a ton of story they want to cover, but they also don't ant to be tied down by the 98 anime. The manga for this series ran for a whole twelve years and the 98 anime only had a year and half worth of manga to work with. That series also took some liberties with the source material. Not to say this new one doesn't take a ton of liberties of its own.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Pacing was better with the second episode. Yeah, this Vash is very extreme along the don't kill, can't we all just get along line. I can't believe this series got me to actually like and empathize with fucking Gofsef and the Nebraska Family.

I imagine a large part of that is because there's a ton of story they want to cover, but they also don't ant to be tied down by the 98 anime. The manga for this series ran for a whole twelve years and the 98 anime only had a year and half worth of manga to work with. That series also took some liberties with the source material. Not to say this new one doesn't take a ton of liberties of its own.

I remember thinking that a good portion of the manga was unintelligible, but it's been ages since I've read it; probably the first time it was published in the US.

• True 1

8 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I remember thinking that a good portion of the manga was unintelligible, but it's been ages since I've read it; probably the first time it was published in the US.

I never actually made it very far into Trigun Maximum. I don't recall the reason why, though. I do remember liking it. I had the 98 series on VHS, the two volumes of Trigun, and made it a few volumes into Maximum before I dropped it.

Trigun and Trigun Maximum are excellent (the manga). Yasuhiro Nightow's art gets very busy (see also: Blood Blockade Battlefront and Gungrave) but so long as you take time to actually look at his crazy ass art it does make sense. A unique anime art style in this day and age is a godsend so I definitely recommend re-reading the manga if it's been a long time. Nightow doesn't necessarily care about all the lore making sense but he nails the character moments.

Also I'm waiting for the dub but Vash was always irritatingly extreme with his pacifism. I believe Nightow worked under Rurouni Kenshin manga-ka Nobuhiro Watsuki before Trigun (Kenshin is getting it's own reboot!) which is where he inherited the super pacifist character archetype. I know it's annoying but it's refreshing in this day and age.

Caught Ep 3 today. It's good! The series so far is pretty different from both the manga and the original anime so if you're looking for an adaptation of either, it's not that other than very broad strokes. Vash, Knives, and Millie are around. Wolfwood and Legato have been teased I think. And we've seen some of the baddies show up, but they're all fairly different.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Caught Ep 3 today. It's good! The series so far is pretty different from both the manga and the original anime so if you're looking for an adaptation of either, it's not that other than very broad strokes. Vash, Knives, and Millie Meryl are around. Wolfwood and Legato have been teased I think. And we've seen some of the baddies show up, but they're all fairly different.

Fixed that for you.

Now...I wonder if episode 4 will actually take place in July and lead to the July Incident or if we're going to get episodes of adventures that take place between now and Vash's arrival at the Third City.

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Fixed that for you.

Now...I wonder if episode 4 will actually take place in July and lead to the July Incident or if we're going to get episodes of adventures that take place between now and Vash's arrival at the Third City.

Oh yeah, I always get the alliterative M names mixed up in this one for some reason.

6 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Fixed that for you.

I hope they don’t have light hearted adventures after the tone they’ve set in the first three episodes. 

ep 3 was a lot more like I was hoping for. As far as I could tell no fan service or callouts to the original. It feels like the show is finally on its own path. I hope they stay on that path. 

11 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I hope they don’t have light hearted adventures after the tone they’ve set in the first three episodes. 

ep 3 was a lot more like I was hoping for. As far as I could tell no fan service or callouts to the original. It feels like the show is finally on its own path. I hope they stay on that path. 

Honestly after the first 3 episodes, I hope there are some more slice of life bits or whole episodes, especially if this is going to go more than one season. 

23 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Honestly after the first 3 episodes, I hope there are some more slice of life bits or whole episodes, especially if this is going to go more than one season. 

I tend to agree. If it's all grimdark, it loses its punch. You need to break that up with some minor wins for Vash here and there, especially on his way to the July Incident.

42 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

I tend to agree. If it's all grimdark, it loses its punch. You need to break that up with some minor wins for Vash here and there, especially on his way to the July Incident.

Also I think Vash’s attitude only makes sense if he gets to experience SOME joy along the way, otherwise what’s he fighting for? 

4 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

oh, I figured this was going to be 12 episodes max, and done. it feels like they’re rushing. If he doesn’t get right to July and instead has a bunch of fun adventures it could feel like he’s really that bothered to get the plants back and save the town. 

5 hours ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

oh, I figured this was going to be 12 episodes max, and done. it feels like they’re rushing. If he doesn’t get right to July and instead has a bunch of fun adventures it could feel like he’s really that bothered to get the plants back and save the town. 

I have no idea if it is or isn't, I haven't read up on it at all. I kinda assumed they might if they're gonna show the July bit as it happens and not via flashback, but that's just speculation on my part.

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have no idea if it is or isn't, I haven't read up on it at all. I kinda assumed they might if they're gonna show the July bit as it happens and not via flashback, but that's just speculation on my part.

I’m fine if they want to have random adventures after July. I guess it all depends on how they want to handle the fallout. My only point was since seemingly time is of the essence to get the plants back, it wouldn’t make sense for Vash to lollygag around like the aimless, wondering ronin. 

On 1/23/2023 at 8:59 AM, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I’m fine if they want to have random adventures after July. I guess it all depends on how they want to handle the fallout. My only point was since seemingly time is of the essence to get the plants back, it wouldn’t make sense for Vash to lollygag around like the aimless, wondering ronin. 

Vash might not be on his way to get the plant back for this town, but on his way to stop his brother. I do find it interesting that tomorrow's episode is listed as the start of Act 2.

I'm guessing getting to July isn't going to be quite that easy. We'll likely see Knives send the rest of the Gung Ho Guns to mess with Vash while on his journey. Knowing that Vash's goal is to get to July does also make it easy to intercept him. I'm guessing zany and tragic adventures are coming up next.

This is the first episode of the series I felt was a little weak.

I know this isn't the original series, but it feels weird that Vash, who always tried to save the spider and the fly, would be cool with Wolfwood just lasering a worm and then eating it? Especially after it seems like he'd be opposed to that when he doesn't chow down on the younger form. Wolfwood was fine, but I feel like we're running into Knives' goons everywhere.

Again I know there was a slowish burn in the original show to get to where we really see what Vash CAN do and then longer to find out what it costs him to NOT do that. He seems a lot more aimless and random in this so far. We're not seeing as much of what life is like for normal people on Gunsmoke.

On 1/28/2023 at 10:42 PM, Kal-El814 said:

This is the first episode of the series I felt was a little weak.

I know this isn't the original series, but it feels weird that Vash, who always tried to save the spider and the fly, would be cool with Wolfwood just lasering a worm and then eating it? Especially after it seems like he'd be opposed to that when he doesn't chow down on the younger form. Wolfwood was fine, but I feel like we're running into Knives' goons everywhere.

Again I know there was a slowish burn in the original show to get to where we really see what Vash CAN do and then longer to find out what it costs him to NOT do that. He seems a lot more aimless and random in this so far. We're not seeing as much of what life is like for normal people on Gunsmoke.

@Greatoneshere is going to have to correct me here, but I recall the manga being a lot more up tempo than the 98 anime. I mean, that does make sense. The 98 anime took some 20 chapters of manga and turned that into a 26 episode series. For comparison, Chainsaw Man covered some 40 chapters in just 12 episodes of anime. The 98 Trigun has a TON of filler and stretched things out in every which direction. A great example of that being Wolfwood, whose identity as a Gung Ho Guns is kept secret for a bit in the 98 series, but gets revealed something like the chapter following his introduction in the manga.

I don't think Vash is a vegan in this series...though I do question what being vegan would even look like for Vash. That said, if Vash is eating, he's eating bugs/meat because as this episode alluded to, only the rich eat plants and Vash isn't living a wealthy lifestyle.

• Halal 1

On 1/29/2023 at 11:21 PM, Ghost_MH said:

@Greatoneshere is going to have to correct me here, but I recall the manga being a lot more up tempo than the 98 anime. I mean, that does make sense. The 98 anime took some 20 chapters of manga and turned that into a 26 episode series. For comparison, Chainsaw Man covered some 40 chapters in just 12 episodes of anime. The 98 Trigun has a TON of filler and stretched things out in every which direction. A great example of that being Wolfwood, whose identity as a Gung Ho Guns is kept secret for a bit in the 98 series, but gets revealed something like the chapter following his introduction in the manga.

You are correct - Trigun/Trigun Maximum manga was a total of 17 volumes. Trigun, before it switched publishers and became Trigun Maximum, was originally 3 volumes (then reprinted into 2 volumes when Trigun came back as Trigun Maximum). Trigun 1998 anime came out before Trigun Maximum manga started, but after those initial 3 volumes of Trigun (which are the first 20 chapters). The final chapter of the OG Trigun manga (before Maximum) was chapter 20, Fifth Moon. In the anime, episode 16 (out of 26 episodes) adapts Fifth Moon. After that the anime and the manga wildly diverge in how they play out because while the anime has all the setup and most of the correct Gung-Ho Guns since the manga wasn't even close to finished they had to make things up so they could end their one season anime conclusively. 

So basically the 1998 anime took 20 chapters of manga (3 volumes) and stretched it to 16 episodes or so. So there is definitely filler in those first 16 episodes. Supporting characters in the episodic stories get more screen time; some episodic, silly early episodes are entirely filler as well. The manga moves at a much faster pace for sure to get to the serious/good stuff.

• Thanks 1

I found myself really missing my favorite line from the 98 series when we first see Wolfwood in the desert. “That is one heck of a well prepared dead guy” -bus driver. :lol:

this show is definitely maintaining that dour tone. It’s not bad, but also not fun. Right now I don’t know if I’d watch this show more than once. 

I can’t see how Vash could become friends with Wolfwood in this series. I dunno. Vash is a pretty forgiving guy, but geez. And yet again, with Wolfwood they have seemingly laid all the cards in the table right away. 

I do still really like the intro music and sequence. 

• Halal 1

I’m up to episode five and I enjoy it so far, the art style has grown on me and I do think that they manage to make some really compelling imagery.  

I don’t really know how well the show works on its own as opposed to a companion piece to the original.  So much of what’s going on doesn’t feel like it stands as well on its own.  Most of the show doesn’t really make a ton of sense unless you already know these people, and the rushed pace comes off as trying to get to the new direction as quickly as possible because most people are already going to know the basic deal.  I get that, it wouldn’t make a ton of sense to spend five whole episodes before he even pulls his gun again, he’s no longer a mystery, but the show ejects that intrigue and replaces it with… nothing?  It’s fine for me as someone who understands the presumed past for Vash, but if you only ever watched this I don’t know if any of it lands.