Fargo Season 5 Incoming...

2 > 1 > 4 > 3 imo.

2 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I believe it will be the final season of the show. Season 4 was surprisingly good but for my money less idiosyncratic than previous seasons, which I missed. But it had a lot of Coen Bros.'s Miller's Crossing in it. 

I look forward to season 5. 

Yeah, S4 had a lot of great characters, episodes, and moments, but I felt like the overarching plot wasn't quite as strong as in the first two seasons. I'm really looking forward to John Hamm in Fargo.

25 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A lot of people REALLY didn't like season 3 for some reason. I thought all of them were great.

I didn’t hate it but the whole Fargo schtick is quaint and charming midwesterners doing awful things, and season 3 was severely bereft of that charm. 

1 hour ago, Moa said:

2 > 1 > 4 > 3 imo.

Yeah, S4 had a lot of great characters, episodes, and moments, but I felt like the overarching plot wasn't quite as strong as in the first two seasons. I'm really looking forward to John Hamm in Fargo.

Agreed.  My personal ranking is 1 > 2 > 3 > 4, but I liked 3 and 4 plenty.

51 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

A lot of people REALLY didn't like season 3 for some reason. I thought all of them were great.

It's true, and I think because it's just very different than Coen Bros. Fargo in some ways, though I don't think so. I really liked Thewlis as the villain and Carrie Coon was excellent. Also can't go wrong with two McGregor's.

24 minutes ago, Moa said:

I didn’t hate it but the whole Fargo schtick is quaint and charming midwesterners doing awful things, and season 3 was severely bereft of that charm. 

It was a pretty heavy, sometimes esoteric and dark season of Fargo. I liked it a lot, but it was a divisive season.

I agree with 1 > 2 > 3 > 4.

And to be clear, I liked all 4 season a lot.

1 and 2 were both amazing. 3 was flawed, but had some really great stuff. Season 4 was a big step down and seemed to feel a little more forced and simultaneously less clever. I feel like they kinda strayed too far from the formula. The show and movie sorts followed this pattern... a good honest cop, a wacky collection of bad guys in conflict and handful regular people in over their heads on a wild ride. My memory is hazy, but I think season 4 was almost all criminals. Only crooked cops and only a few normal people in over their heads, and weren't the "normal" people kinda criminals too? I can't remember. I guess shows can't follow the formula forever, but I just feel like it didn't really stick the landing. I still liked it though.

Anyway, great show. I'm all in for season 5.

• Like 1

Thewlis was great. The episode with Ray Wise was also great, and there was plenty else to like about the season. Despite both being great actors, I felt like McGregor and Winstead’s characters just didn’t have the charisma of previous protagonists. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, ort said:

I agree with 1 > 2 > 3 > 4.

And to be clear, I liked all 4 season a lot.

1 and 2 were both amazing. 3 was flawed, but had some really great stuff. Season 4 was a big step down and seemed to feel a little more forced and simultaneously less clever. I feel like they kinda strayed too far from the formula. The show and movie sorts followed this pattern... a good honest cop, a wacky collection of bad guys in conflict and handful regular people in over their heads on a wild ride. My memory is hazy, but I think season 4 was almost all criminals. Only crooked cops and only a few normal people in over their heads, and weren't the "normal" people kinda criminals too? I can't remember. I guess shows can't follow the formula forever, but I just feel like it didn't really stick the landing. I still liked it though.

Anyway, great show. I'm all in for season 5.

Season 4 was with Chris Rock and Jason Schwartzman and had two rival gangster families, the current reigning crew the Italians (who took it from others) and the Blacks who were growing and newer to the game in the area. It did have a side plotline with a young black girl and the crazy villain of the season which was a nurse. I just saw the season for the first time recently. And yes, it felt the least like Fargo though I did still like it.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I finally started watching this and have caught up on the first three episodes that are currently out. It's really good! Fargo has always been surreal but loving they are just going all in on the one guy maybe being a soulless immortal. As always, male toxicity is a big part of things too. I'm still surprised we got a 5th season, I wonder if the show is never formally "cancelled" and we get a season whenever Noah Hawley wants to make one.

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth episode of the season was more of a table setting episode but the Nightmare Before Christmas home invasion, which took up half the episode, was really well done with both a strong amount of tension and that trademark Fargo/Coen Bros. humor. Ole Munch from medieval times also has a great monologue about what freedom represents. The only point of frustration is Dorothy/Nadine's insistence on covering up situations that are too ludicrous to cover up, to the point of gaslighting both her husband and cops Farr and Olmstead. I understand her fears regarding Roy and her previous abuse but this is bordering on ridiculous. Other than that, a really fun season so far for Fargo, lighter than previous seasons (for Fargo anyway).

Love this freaking show... the wait between episodes is torture. So much so that I started binging the entire series again since last weeks episode. Already halfway through season four. I'll rank the seasons once season five is over but right now I think I'd rank them in this order.

Season 2

Season 1

Season 4

Season 3

Every season is awesome by the way and I'm LOVING season five so far so who knows where that's gonna land in the rankings. AMAZING show though especially if you're a Coen Brothers fan.

On 12/19/2023 at 7:24 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Love this freaking show... the wait between episodes is torture. So much so that I started binging the entire series again since last weeks episode. Already halfway through season four. I'll rank the seasons once season five is over but right now I think I'd rank them in this order.

Season 2

Season 1

Season 4

Season 3

Every season is awesome by the way and I'm LOVING season five so far so who knows where that's gonna land in the rankings. AMAZING show though especially if you're a Coen Brothers fan.

We saved up 2 episodes to watch and in the meantime started binging the other seasons. We are currently halfway through season 3. I love this show!

My ranks: 1=2>3>4

I like 4, but it is my least favorite. 5 is going to top it I think.

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

We saved up 2 episodes to watch and in the meantime started binging the other seasons. We are currently halfway through season 3. I love this show!

My ranks: 1=2>3>4

I like 4, but it is my least favorite. 5 is going to top it I think.

I REALLY love Miller's Crossing and season 4 is Hawley's homage to that movie. I also really love gangster flicks in general and ESPECIALLY gangster flicks featuring black characters. I think seasons 3 and 4 are REALLY underrated by a lot of folks but overall, this is a BRILLIANT and layered series. So many things happening at once in each season. Also this show manages to always pull stellar performances out of well known and not so well known actors.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I REALLY love Miller's Crossing and season 4 is Hawley's homage to that movie. I also really love gangster flicks in general and ESPECIALLY gangster flicks featuring black characters. I think seasons 3 and 4 are REALLY underrated by a lot of folks but overall, this is a BRILLIANT and layered series. So many things happening at once in each season. Also this show manages to always pull stellar performances out of well known and not so well known actors.

I remember thinking 4 had some pacing issues compared to the other seasons, but overall it was excellent. I love season 3. Varga lol

Varga is the best thing about season 4. Great villain.

I also LOVED the ending of season 4. The very final moment of the show which I won't spoil is my favorite ending to a season of television ever.

I still haven't started watching this yet... but I can't wait!

42 minutes ago, ort said:

Varga is the best thing about season 4. Great villain.

I also LOVED the ending of season 4. The very final moment of the show which I won't spoil is my favorite ending to a season of television ever.

I still haven't started watching this yet... but I can't wait!

Just a heads up, David Thewlis as Varga was season 3, not 4. He's the best villain in the franchise next to Billy Bob Thornton for me. Just true evil.

16 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Just a heads up, David Thewlis as Varga was season 3, not 4. He's the best villain in the franchise next to Billy Bob Thornton for me. Just true evil.

Yeah, I just had a brain fart mixup. I know he was season 3.

I don't even remember who the big bad guy was in season 4. I guess some Italian mafia guys.... or maybe Chris Rock's acting coach?

• Hugs 1

5 minutes ago, ort said:

I don't even remember who the big bad guy was in season 4. I guess some Italian mafia guys.

There were a bunch of bad guys in season 4. Pretty much all of the mob guys and chris Rock's crew and that crazy serial killer nurse. The only "good guys" were that funeral parlor family and their daughter. Mike Milligan was a decent guy even though

Spoiler

he worked for the Italian mob and killed his own father.