The Winchesters (Supernatural prequel series)

11 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

They would pretty much have to considering how much ground The original series covered. 

More-so what the trailer has in it.

Spoiler

In the main series, John (the father) had no idea demons/monsters existed until after Mary was killed and he started learning about them and became a hunter. There were a few times Dean and/or Sam went into the past and John learned of them but always had his memory wiped, and Mary was very adamant about John not learning of that world. In that trailer, John and Mary meet because he gets attacked by a demon then seemingly decides to help her hunt demons/monsters. The trailer also alludes to them finding out about the Men of Letters, which makes even less sense.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

I don't see how you reproduce the cheesy chemistry of Dean and Sam.

That is kind of what made the original series fun. It was just Dean and Sam hunting the paranormal. The more it escalated into some wild story of an angel/demon soap opera, the less appealing it became.

At least, to me. I stopped watching by about season 5. There ended up being 15 seasons, so what do I know.

Still, if it can recapture the "two charismatic people hunting a monster of the week" thing that made the original show so good (initially), I think it could work. The problem is I don't think networks really want to make that kind of show anymore. Sure, there's still shit like Blue Bloods and CSI: Modesto or whatever, but the detective procedural is kind of a dying breed. Something tells me this show is going to go straight for the angel/demon soap opera.

Man I don't know... I thought everything about that trailer looked bad.  Anybody else in the Supernatural universe would have made me more excited for a prequel. Not the damn Winchesters.

I thought the trailer had more of a teen drama/comedy feeling to it also. Not the demographic I would picture for any long time Supernatural fan. 

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Uhhh, didn't the original series already retcon John not knowing about the Supernatural world with the whole father-in-law plotline and Men of Letters plotline? Either way I have no faith this will be good.

No, not at all. Mary’s father was killed the night they ran away together and part of the deal Mary made was to have John’s memory wiped of that night. The men of letters was John’s grandfather (or father? Can’t remember) who disappeared before he was born (along with the men of letters).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Y'all watched way too much Supernatural after it went stupid. Unless they already retconned all of that in the last 5 seasons that you didn't see, when the show should have bit the dust years ago

I finished the series, it got really bad for a bit then came back up to late-S2/early-S3 quality in the last few seasons. It should’ve ended with Kripke’s originally planned S5 finale. I tend to look at everything once Sam reappears at that S5 finale as just a fan fic. Only thing worth noting of the following seasons is that Chuck was confirmed as God with no ambiguity to it. The actual finale was good, though, I’ll give it that.

• Halal 1

7 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

No, not at all. Mary’s father was killed the night they ran away together and part of the deal Mary made was to have John’s memory wiped of that night. The men of letters was John’s grandfather (or father? Can’t remember) who disappeared before he was born (along with the men of letters).

Ah, okay, I dunno, seemed like he should have known something with all that was happening within the family, men of letters, and his in-laws throughout the show's run.

7 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Y'all watched way too much Supernatural after it went stupid. Unless they already retconned all of that in the last 5 seasons that you didn't see, when the show should have bit the dust years ago

The last few seasons improved, though never reaching the highs of the first 5 seasons. Season 6 was pretty great at times (The Man Who Would Be King is an all-timer episode) and the beginning of season 7 had a lot of promise. After that, seasons 7 thru 10 are varying degrees of abysmal. Season 11 things start to pick back up at least. 

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah, okay, I dunno, seemed like he should have known something with all that was happening within the family, men of letters, and his in-laws throughout the show's run.

TBF, he never got to meet any of them and they were all killed the night he "ran away" with Mary, IIRC. Been awhile since I watched S4/S5.

Oh, and that first episode of S7 was awesome, but then they went a really shit route with the rest of the season haha

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

TBF, he never got to meet any of them and they were all killed the night he "ran away" with Mary, IIRC. Been awhile since I watched S4/S5.

Yeah, there was so much tangential Winchester parent stuff in later seasons I can't quite remember. Doesn't help this show any either way. :p 

IDK.  I understand that the show was originally intended to end after S5, and yep, there some extended runs of episodes that took me close to hate-watching territory, but somewhere around maybe S10 or S11, (I can't remember exactly when), it always felt to me that the whole family-esque dynamic that the actors and fandom talk about, really seemed to gel, quite possibly around the time that the show occasionally leaned into a certain degree of self-awareness of what it was.  It still had some real clunkers at times to be sure, but even when it failed, it failed with heart, as often as not.

Haven't watched the trailer for the new spinoff, but my guess is that it will fail, like the last attempted spinoff did.

With re: to the father and whatnot, I'm relatively certain that the show's internal logic supports the how and why of the father never knowing more about the Winchesters' "family business" with the MoL, since the MoL were largely wiped out while John was just a baby (or maybe not even born?).

And yeah, I suppose you can pick at nits with regard to Winchester and Campbell families coming together and resulting in Dean and Sam, but hell, there was one episode with a cherub that spoke to the amount of effort that was invested in bringing John and Mary together.

You'll never see me holding it up as all-time great TV among greats like The Wire, and such, but there was something special about it, some singular and somewhat intangible quality that really makes the show more than the sum of any of its parts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

IDK.  I understand that the show was originally intended to end after S5, and yep, there some extended runs of episodes that took me close to hate-watching territory, but somewhere around maybe S10 or S11, (I can't remember exactly when), it always felt to me that the whole family-esque dynamic that the actors and fandom talk about, really seemed to gel, quite possibly around the time that the show occasionally leaned into a certain degree of self-awareness of what it was.  It still had some real clunkers at times to be sure, but even when it failed, it failed with heart, as often as not.

Haven't watched the trailer for the new spinoff, but my guess is that it will fail, like the last attempted spinoff did.

With re: to the father and whatnot, I'm relatively certain that the show's internal logic supports the how and why of the father never knowing more about the Winchesters' "family business" with the MoL, since the MoL were largely wiped out while John was just a baby (or maybe not even born?).

And yeah, I suppose you can pick at nits with regard to Winchester and Campbell families coming together and resulting in Dean and Sam, but hell, there was one episode with a cherub that spoke to the amount of effort that was invested in bringing John and Mary together.

You'll never see me holding it up as all-time great TV among greats like The Wire, and such, but there was something special about it, some singular and somewhat intangible quality that really makes the show more than the sum of any of its parts.

Yea, Men of Letters in NA was completely wiped out by hell knight demons that were randomly stronger than Lilith because story reasons. Only the UK/London branch survived or something  

7 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

Midway through season 11 is when it begins to get consistently solid/good again, with season 12 onward at least always being fun.