Blast from the Past: a former Foxconn executive tries to explain what the hell went wrong in Wisconsin (The Verge)

VRG_ILLO_Decoder_220418.jpg
WWW.THEVERGE.COM

How a Trump-endorsed plan overpromised and underdelivered

Alan Yeung is a professor of entrepreneurship at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the former head of the Foxconn project in Wisconsin.

If you don’t quite remember, the Foxconn project in Wisconsin was announced in 2017 as a massive deal to build the first “Generation 10.5” LCD factory in North America. It was also one of the first big moments in the Trump presidency, complete with President Trump holding a golden shovel at a lavish groundbreaking ceremony where he said the factory would be “the eighth wonder of the world.”

The deal was supposedly quite simple: Foxconn (the company best known for manufacturing the iPhone), President Trump, and Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker all announced that Foxconn would build a 20-million-square-foot display factory in Wisconsin that would bring 13,000 manufacturing jobs back to the United States. Wisconsin promised more than $4 billion in tax credits to Foxconn, cleared land by pushing people out of their homes, and diverted water from Lake Michigan to support the factory. A lot of people got excited about this promised American manufacturing renaissance and left good jobs to join it.

But it turned out that while Foxconn was putting on a great show, no LCD factory was actually getting built, even though Foxconn kept saying it was happening.

I can practically hear/feel the frustration from the interviewers :rofl:

NP: The dome is needed to do pioneering data center work?

The dome should have been better and bigger. Okay?

NP: I agree. If anyone says to me that a dome should be bigger, I always agree with them. That is true.

:rofl:

The dome in question:

E1obxPxWEAQRwqV.original.jpg