Stadia changing focus from consumer to white label tech for Bungie, Peleton, AT&T

TwinIon

Business Insider has a story about how Google is shifting focus from the consumer facing product to becoming a white label tech provider.

I would expect that this was always part of the plan, but they'd rather have followed the Amazon strategy of being your own best customer. Moving directly to white label without having made a real impact on the consumer side is certainly a disappointment for Google, but at this point it's not exactly surprising.

AT&T streaming Arkham Knight is weird, but they've never really had much of a media strategy (see: Warner).  Peleton using Stadia tech makes sense if they want to do games. I doubt Peleton equipment has the horsepower to do much other than stream, so if they want interactive games, they'll need to stream it.

Bungie is a more interesting case though. Paul Tassi seems to think it might be primarily for internal use and testing, but even if that's true I can imagine them providing it directly. Maybe grant streaming access to anyone with a season pass, maybe put it in a small monthly fee that also includes everything else, who knows. It's free to play Destiny on Stadia right now, and last I saw there were only ~5k of 860k players using Stadia. So if Bungie wanted to provide it directly under a white label because they're already using it in house, even if they didn't charge extra for it, they wouldn't exactly be breaking the bank. Of course, who knows what the Sony deal would do to this one.

13 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

A nice place for it to quietly die as predicted. 

This could actually be quite promising given the future likely has a heavy streaming presence. A lot of places looking for a quick pivot will be in the market for scaled infrastructure and expertise. 

• Haha 1