ViacomCBS and WarnerMedia are looking to sell The CW; The CW reportedly hasn’t been profitable since 2006.

Jason

I have a bad feeling a show like Legends of Tomorrow would be one of the first to get axed under a new ownership regime focused on profitability, considering I'm pretty sure no other network would have let Legends lean all the way in on being a weird goofy comic book show in the first place. :(

social
WWW.WSJ.COM

Nexstar Media Group, the nation’s biggest broadcaster, is among the suitors for CW Network, sources say.

1 hour ago, LazyPiranha said:

You cancel Veronica Mars and what do you get?

72-E7Y2rHa.png

Okay so apparently the shows make money on streaming and it's the broadcast channel itself that's unprofitable. So I guess this means the shows are probably safe. 

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Those shows would probably move to HBO Max. Other,less popular shows have been moved there and the arrowverse shows do well enough ratings wise. No idea why the network doesn't make money.

I mean it's got to be something about how the revenue split is set, right? Like how Syfy cancelled The Expanse over the financials because for whatever stupid reason they signed a deal that only let them earn money on the first live airing of each episode.

10 minutes ago, Dre801 said:

Rating don't seem to matter to that network.  Batwoman and some other shows are in the toilet ratings-wise and they keep them going.

Everybody already knew that they're way more interested in numbers like viewings on their website within a week of first airing, but I think everyone assumed that that must be profitable for them given how long they've been running this business model. 

Also everyone was thinking the tradeoff was the low budgets helping balance out the low viewership targets. We did know for example that Supergirl went directly from getting canceled by CBS for low ratings to being one of CW's top performers with a third of the ratings that got it canceled by CBS.