Been rewatching the Star Trek shows.

rewatched DS9 for the umpteenth time, still consider it the best Trek show

rewatched Voyager and while it has some excellent episodes for the most part its subpar

now rewatching TNG. Been a while since I've watched this one, forgot just how horrible the first season was. Am now into season three and I have to laugh at a few things, which are pretty much in all the series but I'm really noticing it now. No engineer does any real work...they push buttons or hold a tool with a flashing light, none of them ever get their hands dirty doing any actual physical work ..and now matter how dire a situation is NO ONE EVER RUNS or acts in anyway that makes you think they believe the situation is urgent. The ship will blow up in five minutes and I need to check something in the cargo bay...do they sow people running to the cargo bay? Nope, casually walking down the hall. Hello??? ship go boom soon...maybe move your asses! :p 

DS9 is probably the best. TNG can kind of tie but mainly because it was the first one (for me).

Voyager is alright, agree with your thoughts. Has some solid episode some of the characters are good times, but overall it's average.

Not a popular opinion, but I actually kind of dog Enterprise. Discovery I have mix feelings on, Lower Decks is so weird, but just works and is awesome. Picard is solid, curious to see where they go with it.

TOS is a classic, but you got to be in the right mood. Rarely put it on when I'm in the mood for Star Trek.

Voyager manages to add up to less than the sum of its parts because of the explicit refusal to have even a shred of continuity. Like how the Hirogen absolutely gut the ship to turn it into a giant holodeck, the episode ends on the insane repair effort ahead of them...and then at the start of the very next episode Tom is chilling on the holodeck tuning his holocar and they don't even have a throwaway line about how brutal it was to get the ship restored. 

A lot of TNG is simply not that great when you already know what happens. 

I think Enterprise could have gotten on the same level as DS9 if they'd been allowed to finish their run, season 4 of Enterprise was one of the single best seasons of Trek ever and based on how good it was I think Manny Coto had the chops to see things through to a solid end. Season 4 remains really compelling even when you know what happens already. 

Coto was a Trekkie before getting onto the show, which I think helped. He did an AMA once where someone asked him if it was intentional that the NX-01 started gradually looking more like Kirk's ship over the course of season 4, and Coto responded that it was and that he did it even knowing most people would never even notice it (I still can't spot anything even knowing it's there). 

4 minutes ago, Gavin King said:

Not a popular opinion, but I actually kind of dog Enterprise. Discovery I have mix feelings on, Lower Decks is so weird, but just works and is awesome. Picard is solid, curious to see where they go with it.

TOS is a classic, but you got to be in the right mood. Rarely put it on when I'm in the mood for Star Trek.

When I finally got around to really watching Enterprise I liked it quite a bit and thought it was a shame it ended so soon. Only saw part of the first season of Discovery when it aired on reg TV so have no real option. And since I don't have Par+ can't comment on lower decks or Picard 

47 minutes ago, Gavin King said:

I always tell people to start with TOS because it's a lot easier to just enjoy it for what it is that way. That's what I did and I really enjoyed TOS on my initial watch yet now find it really hard to go back to for the most part.

I wish we still had the thread of me going through tng and ds9. Good times there sharing my impressions with Trekkies.

I liked the more straight episodic nature of tng more than the continuous ds9, though that may be simple preference. There are so many individual episodes I love from the former, whereas there are some individually great episodes to ds9, but much of it, for me, was about each episode building to something. And that many many episodes not sticking out as much.

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

I wish we still had the thread of me going through tng and ds9. Good times there sharing my impressions with Trekkies.

I liked the more straight episodic nature of tng more than the continuous ds9, though that may be simple preference. There are so many individual episodes I love from the former, whereas there are some individually great episodes to ds9, but much of it, for me, was about each episode building to something. And that many many episodes not sticking out as much.

^ I'm the exact opposite. I loved that there was one overarching storyline for DS9

DS9 is by far the best, TNG is kinda meh to me, as well as Voyager, and i enjoyed enterprise, though i think it gets way too horny at times with the vulcan.  I definitely prefer more a story arch than bouncing all over the place.  Voyagers seems like it would have been way better if it had more continuity and didn't have an episode where they were like

Spoiler

"yeah we just zipped 1/4 of the way home, then blew up the Borg!"

1 hour ago, PaladinSolo said:

DS9 is by far the best, TNG is kinda meh to me, as well as Voyager, and i enjoyed enterprise, though i think it gets way too horny at times with the vulcan.  I definitely prefer more a story arch than bouncing all over the place.  Voyagers seems like it would have been way better if it had more continuity and didn't have an episode where they were like

Reveal hidden contents

Agreed Voyager had a set up that would have been perfect for a continuous story but it rarely had any real continuity to the episodes.

2 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

Hide contents

"yeah we just zipped 1/4 of the way home, then blew up the Borg!"

The BSG reboot is basically Ron Moore's do-over for how frustrated he was with how Voyager was run. 

On 12/7/2021 at 11:36 PM, EternallDarkness said:

rewatched DS9 for the umpteenth time, still consider it the best Trek show

rewatched Voyager and while it has some excellent episodes for the most part its subpar

now rewatching TNG. Been a while since I've watched this one, forgot just how horrible the first season was. Am now into season three and I have to laugh at a few things, which are pretty much in all the series but I'm really noticing it now. No engineer does any real work...they push buttons or hold a tool with a flashing light, none of them ever get their hands dirty doing any actual physical work ..and now matter how dire a situation is NO ONE EVER RUNS or acts in anyway that makes you think they believe the situation is urgent. The ship will blow up in five minutes and I need to check something in the cargo bay...do they sow people running to the cargo bay? Nope, casually walking down the hall. Hello??? ship go boom soon...maybe move your asses! :p 

The one positive thing I'll say about Discovery is that its engineer actually engineers. While I always believed Scotty could duct tape a warp engine together, that female engineer makes me believe she could do the same thing in a way that would make MacGyver envious at what she can accomplish with a pint of ale and a paperclip.

I understand why people like DS9, but TNG will always be tops for me. I just love the characters in a way that the DS9 folks never really achieved.

I went through Voyager for the first time sometime in the last year or two. I'd seen scattered episodes, but never the whole thing all the way through. I feel l similar to @Jason in that it's less than the sum of it's parts. In a lot of ways I think it's best best premise for a Trek show post TNG, but it never really lives up to it's potential.

It's been a while since I watched Enterprise, but I enjoy it well enough.

I've become a more stout defender of Disco. Regardless of it's official status as canon, I personally put it into a separate category, like the Kelvin timeline. Once I separated it (in my own mind) from both established Trek chronology and my expectations for a Trek show, I've really come to enjoy it. It's a visual feast in a way that no other Trek show has ever been, it's exciting and action packed, and I've come to enjoy the characters quite a bit. It's still treky, but it's also distinct in ways that I found initially off putting, but have come to really appreciate.

I've also become a big fan of Lower Decks. It's off the wall and zany, but so deeply in love with Trek and all the oddities that Trek has accumulated over the decades. There's a good case to be made (and my wife will be the first to make it), that it's too reliant on Trek knowledge to really appreciate many of the jokes, but I find it consistently hilarious.