The Power of the Dog

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Fascinating movie. I think it’s safe to say if you like the vibe of the trailer, you’ll enjoy the movie. 

I’m excited to watch more Campion. The Blank Check podcast is going to cover her filmography starting next month. 

It's my favorite podcast! She's a real blind spot for me as well so I'm gonna use this upcoming miniseries as an opportunity to educate myself. I'll either watch this soon or save it for the end of the miniseries.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, johnny said:

it’s a great movie. i don’t think i’ll watch it again but i shall remember it fondly. 

It really was excruciating to watch. There was a lot of unpleasantness in it, but I don't think that is what make it feel so monotonous. In high school English they talk about the rule of threes, the loose rule that if a subject or theme recurs three times, it must be important to the overall message of the work. This movie follows the rule of fours or fives. We see Phil be cruel or George be weak over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. Each time it happens we expect some variation or development, but instead the movie is relentlessly consistent. I admire the movie's willingness to be provocatively tedious.

Another uncommon feat the movie pulls off is to be subtle but unambiguous in how it presents the plot. I finished the movie not really understanding what actually happened in it because it doesn't shine a spotlight on critical details and moments. However, after doing a little confused research it's clear what happened and how. Usually when I leave a movie befuddled it is because it is being coy and leaving things "open," but this movie is very much closed despite making the audience work and pay attention to get answers.

I think what I ultimately liked most about the movie is how the brothers were an allegory for American western individualism, and the failings and vulnerabilities therein. The brothers live in a mansion playing at the outmoded lifestyle of an era the world is leaving behind. They sleep together in small beds in a small room in a large house where the servants probably have more privacy than themselves. They use their families wealth to insulate themselves from progress, except when it is inconvenient, and they live wholly within their own fantasies. I think it is this self delusion, and particularly Phil's need to defend against every encroachment of the modern age, that makes the brothers seem so fragile, childlike, and ultimately sympathetic. Seeing the way Phil needs things to conform to his ways, the lengths he will go to to maintain his fantasy, and how easily threatened his "rugged individualism" is, is heartbreaking. His self image is built upon needing very little, but he also needs very little and cannot tolerate having more. There's a lot more to be said about this allegory, and how well just about every aspect of the movie supports it, but at a certain point I'd just be summarizing the plot and pointing out the obvious, so I'll end it here.