Climate change: UN emissions gap report a 'thundering wake-up call'

_121227210_976_gettyimages-522731794.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Current carbon-cutting plans from nations would lead the world to climate catastrophe, says the UN.

The report finds that when added together, the plans cut greenhouse gas emissions in 2030 by around 7.5% compared to the previous pledges made five years ago.

This is nowhere near enough to keep the 1.5C temperature threshold within sight, say the scientists who compiled the study.

To keep 1.5C alive would require 55% cuts by the same 2030 date. That means the current plans would need to have seven times the level of ambition to remain under that limit.

"To stand a chance of limiting global warming to 1.5C, we have eight years to almost halve greenhouse gas emissions: eight years to make the plans, put in place the policies, implement them and ultimately deliver the cuts," said Inger Andersen, executive director of Unep.

"The clock is ticking loudly."

According to the authors, the current pledges would see the world warm by 2.7C this century, a scenario that Antonio Guterres calls a "climate catastrophe".

He believes the report highlights the failures of political leaders.

"The emissions gap is the result of a leadership gap," he said at the launch of the study.

"But leaders can still make this a turning point to a greener future instead of a tipping point to climate catastrophe."

As Mr Guterres suggests, there are some hopeful signs in the report.

53 minutes ago, Jason said:

Are negative numbers from climate refugees moving in?

They also seem to coincide with higher agricultural output and GDP.

uyt0bvbx63801.jpg

2588-01.jpg

rvtveUq0OZnMGbh7fneq4PvQWhFFi1eqyP3quaLm

I'm living in the right place.

drake GIF

On a more serious note.

My family has:

• Gone from 2 vehicles to 1
  • Re-insulated our house, and replaced all the windows with triple-paned high-r-rated windows
  • Went from a low-efficiency water heater to a super-high-efficiency tankless system
  • I travel by train instead of plane
  • Replaced all of our light fixtures with LED alternatives
  • I switched jobs to a company that is replacing 2-stroke vehicles with electric alternatives

What are y'all doing?

• Like 1

Reduced meat consumption (not a large net driver of ghgs but still)

Purchase 100% renewable power through Dominion (a bit pricy but offshore wind is coming fast and that should help eventually)

Will be WFH so no commute, wife works less than a mile away and we will need getting her an electric bike so she won't need to drive to work. Starting in a year or two the oldest kid will be taking the bus to/from school. Youngest will need to be shuttled but the daycare we will be able to use starting in January is 1.5 miles or so away in a neighborhood so I may be able to bike that

Above all donate and advocate for a carbon free future because individual choices are no substitute for collective action

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Reduced meat consumption (not a large net driver of ghgs but still)

Purchase 100% renewable power through Dominion (a bit pricy but offshore wind is coming fast and that should help eventually)

Will be WFH so no commute, wife works less than a mile away and we will need getting her an electric bike so she won't need to drive to work. Starting in a year or two the oldest kid will be taking the bus to/from school. Youngest will need to be shuttled but the daycare we will be able to use starting in January is 1.5 miles or so away in a neighborhood so I may be able to bike that

Above all donate and advocate for a carbon free future because individual choices are no substitute for collective action

She can't walk less than a mile to work?

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I live in Alexandria, VA.

I Googled that -- it doesn't look like your lows are very much below zero on a consistent basis during the winter - but still quite chilly.  Either you're stealing heat from a neighbour (apartment/condo/townhome?), or your house is pretty darn cold.

3 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I Googled that -- it doesn't look like your lows are very much below zero on a consistent basis during the winter - but still quite chilly.  Either you're stealing heat from a neighbour (apartment/condo/townhome?), or your house is pretty darn cold.

I live in an apartment.

All I do is just add layers or wear a coat.  The lowest the thermostat in my living room has read during the coldest days was 53F/11.7C and that's tolerable for me with warm clothing.