Apple October Event - New Macbook Pros w/ M1 Pro/Max

TwinIon

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I've seen some people speculate they'll do FaceID on the Mac next year and went for the notch now just to have design consistency once it's introduced. 

Sure, but that's just peak "things that Apple did6 and I hate". They have an the tech they need to do that today, but very likely chose not to because it's a feature they can sell people as an upgrade. The big upgrade this year for people don't don't care about specs were the return of ports. Next year it'll be Face ID.

• 4 months later...

I am highly temped to order a Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra. My current Mac set up is an Intel based MBP from...2019? Getting the itch to get in on the Apple silicon game.

Unless you're a full time film editor or 3D animator, the ULTRA model is probably overkill.

I really liked what the announced yesterday. It's finally the X-Mac, after all these years/decades.

I'm happy to see the 27" iMac go. They were great computers, but attaching high end monitors to the computers themselves was was always so wasteful.

6 minutes ago, ort said:

They were great computers, but attaching high end monitors to the computers themselves was was always so wasteful.

It would have been a lot less of a big deal if they hadn't killed target display mode.

25 minutes ago, ort said:

Unless you're a full time film editor or 3D animator, the ULTRA model is probably overkill.

What if you're a big dumb idiot that just likes technology?!?!?

Yeah, it funny, because 20-25 years ago I was always chasing after the newest thing because the computers back then couldn't keep up with my workload... but these days? I can do my job on a MacBook Air. And that's not even slumming it, like, yes, I do notice a difference with better hardware, but the bottleneck is me, not the CPU.

Spending $4,000 on a Mac Studio vs $2,000 on a MacBook Pro (or even $1,000 on a MacBook Air) would probably save me like 30 seconds a week in compute time. It's just so not a big deal anymore.

Been a minute since I had a Mac desktop for my own use and nearly threw up at the "natural" setting for mouse scrolling. Next thing you know MS is going to call inverted thumb sticks for FPS games "natural". NOPE.

Been encoding some DCPs for the theater and getting around 35-40 fps, compared with my AMD 3900X machine which typically gets 20-24 fps. And the JPEG 2K encoder isn’t even tuned for the Apple silicon yet. Terrific.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Been a minute since I had a Mac desktop for my own use and nearly threw up at the "natural" setting for mouse scrolling. Next thing you know MS is going to call inverted thumb sticks for FPS games "natural". NOPE.

I use inverted Y controls but Apple's "natural" scroll feels so bad to me. I have no idea why I'm like this.

On 3/18/2022 at 3:38 PM, sblfilms said:

Your fingers and instincts are backwards. 

Or, you didn't grow up with Flight Simulator. :lol: