Update: ScarJo and Disney have reached a settlement in her Black Widow breach of contract lawsuit

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Pretty sure HBO/WB has been quietly dealing with this behind the scenes. Also a couple of entities have already sued them. It's a little different though.

I'm not aware of any lawsuits that have been filed against HBO/WB.

I know Legendary Pictures threatened legal action, but they didn't follow through with it as HBO/WB assumedly negotiated something with them.

1 minute ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm not aware of any lawsuits that have been filed against HBO/WB.

I know Legendary Pictures threatened legal action, but they didn't follow through with it as HBO/WB assumedly negotiated something with them.

Legendary was the one I was thinking of but I guess you're right. HBO/WB nipped that in the bud probably by compensating them. Paramount must have done something similar with the filmmakers behind several of their movies that are going to Paramount Plus.

What made the Disney Scar Jo thing so bad was that they based a lot of her compensation on the Box office take, but then bastardized that take buy basically doing V.O.D. at the same time as their theatrical release and charge 29.99 to watch the film at home... by which they made a ton of money doing. They didn't cut her in on ANY of that money and haven't even disclosed how much they made. Black Widow underperformed at the box-office , let's be real here by, Marvel movies standards because of Disney putting it on Disney plus at the same time as the theatrical release and it's STILL the second highest grossing pandemic film to date. Only Shang Chi has surpassed it, but not by much which shows how much money Black Widow COULD have made. 

Chapek handled this wrong from the top and it's note a great start to his tenure.

8 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

Will this lead to lawsuits against HBO/WB for releasing their 2021 movies on streaming? A few other studios/publishers also released content on streaming/on demand this past year.

Warner went to all their above the line talent and made deals to effectively buy out part of their back end stuff.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

So it seems Disney won't have to publicly disclose how much money they made from streaming, after all.:thinking:

That's what I was thinking, probably primarily about being able to keep that information private, and maybe secondarily about being able to keep it private how bad they tried to screw Johansson.

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

So it seems Disney won't have to publicly disclose how much money they made from streaming, after all.:thinking:

It was less than 120 million world wide, and that’s as specific as I can be

29 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I guess the difference is that, traditionally, with BO revenue, they WANT everyone to know how much money a certain movie made. With streaming, it's all nebulous. They want their major investors to know whenever it's convenient, but it's generally something they don't want people like actors, writers and crew to know (more specifically their unions). That's what was at stake with this going to trial. That's more valuable than whatever they owed Scarlett Johansson. It makes sense, with traditional box office releases, there's a 1-1 relationship between revenue and a certain release. Revenue from streaming can't just be measured in a single release.

That's why I was so interested in this story. If it went to trial, Disney would be forced to lay bare their whole digital revenue stream.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

That's what I was thinking, probably primarily about being able to keep that information private, and maybe secondarily about being able to keep it private how bad they tried to screw Johansson.

Settling also doesn't create a legal precedent for others to follow. This is the cleanest, and frankly only reasonable way Disney could handle this.

13 minutes ago, Reputator said:

Settling also doesn't create a legal precedent for others to follow. This is the cleanest, and frankly only reasonable way Disney could handle this.

Which makes me think ScarJo and get team got fucking PAID. It does suck that it fucks everyone else over in the long term, though.

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

depending on what her points were on the back end that might still be nothing to sneeze at, plus if there hadn't been the streaming there is no saying that 120 wouldn't have translated to more at the actual box-office for a myriad of reasons