A Plague Tale: Requiem (18 October 2022) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

6 hours ago, best3444 said:

Is this game enjoyable to play or hard to stomach? I'm looking for my next game to play but if this is depressing I'm not mentally prepared for a game like that.

I think you would know that answer if you played the first one, which you really need to do. This one picks up immediately where it leaves off and I dont think theres even any recap. I guess you could watch a recap on YT. 

but these games are def grim. and like @XxEvil AshxX I like to play it really only one chapter a session. Im glad new COD is out tomorrow so I can bounce back and forth. 

1 hour ago, atom631 said:

I think you would know that answer if you played the first one, which you really need to do. This one picks up immediately where it leaves off and I dont think theres even any recap. I guess you could watch a recap on YT. 

but these games are def grim. and like @XxEvil AshxX I like to play it really only one chapter a session. Im glad new COD is out tomorrow so I can bounce back and forth. 

I did play and beat the first one. It's been so long that I don't remember much. I just literally just got done downloading the 2nd one right now on gamepass.

I'm going to do a recap on YouTube and then play it. I have Psychonauts 2 I will be playing so that I don't get burnt out on Requiem. 

• Halal 1

Holy shit. I booted up the game on my XSX and it has some of the if not the very best visuals I've ever seen!

It won't take me away from Gotham Knights but holy shit.

@stepee I finally tried Psychonauts 2 for the very first time since I downloaded it over a year ago. I can see myself really enjoying that. Good stuff for sure.  

As amazing as A Plagues Tale Requiem looks and plays out, I have to keep that on the back burner for now. 

I'm currently playing Gotham Knights and then mix in Psychonauts 2 for a nice change of pace.

I'll play plagues probably later November. But my God does it look incredible! :shock:

On 10/29/2022 at 3:13 AM, best3444 said:

As amazing as A Plagues Tale Requiem looks and plays out, I have to keep that on the back burner for now. 

I'm currently playing Gotham Knights and then mix in Psychonauts 2 for a nice change of pace.

I'll play plagues probably later November. But my God does it look incredible! :shock:

If you're dealing with mental health issues, waiting on Plague Tale could be good though. Its a dark, heavy story. Play Psychonauts 2 and laugh.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea I read it's extremely dark and brutal. Thanks for looking out. I'll hold out.

Nobody should be mentally harmed from playing a game. And this one is particularly heart wrenching to me. I can play it in small bursts, a Chapter ar a time, and no way I'd play it if I was in a rough place.

It'll be here when you're feeling better.

• Halal 1

• 2 weeks later...

In chapter 2 right now. What a sweat relationship Amicia and Hugo have. I forgot the great bond they have. Beautiful visuals so far but I don't know if this is running at 40fps for me?

@stepee Is it supposed to be 40fps on XSX? I see no options for graphics in general... 

It's definitely a AA game with some of it's production values and it's noticeable coming away from Ragnarok. It's still looks beautiful and the gameplay is fun enough. The lip syncing is way off lol.

16 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

There’s no PS4 version, so I have to wait until I get a PS5. But I still haven’t played the first game yet.

They're worth playing. The 2nd one already has me fully engrossed and I'm only on chapter 2. Beautiful stories being told in this series. 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

In chapter 2 right now. What a sweat relationship Amicia and Hugo have. I forgot the great bond they have. Beautiful visuals so far but I don't know if this is running at 40fps for me?

@stepee Is it supposed to be 40fps on XSX? I see no options for graphics in general... 

It's definitely a AA game with some of it's production values and it's noticeable coming away from Ragnarok. It's still looks beautiful and the gameplay is fun enough. The lip syncing is way off lol.

I just read this:

"To run the game in 120 Hz mode, you will need to head into the settings of your Xbox Series console and enable the option to play the console in 120 Hz first. You also need to be on a supported display that allows 120 Hz".

I'll make sure the setting is on later. 

15 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I just read this:

"To run the game in 120 Hz mode, you will need to head into the settings of your Xbox Series console and enable the option to play the console in 120 Hz first. You also need to be on a supported display that allows 120 Hz".

I'll make sure the setting is on later. 

Forgot this had that mode, excellent to see.

16 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I don't think I'm running at 40 because the framerate is bad. I'm going have to get used to 30 though because once next-gen really kicks in its back to 30. :/

You’ve been playing GOW2 at like 80-90fps also, so you are still cutting your frame rate in half directly from that so it probably stands out a lot. You should be able to check the counter on your tv to see what the frame rate is, I can on mine, and I know you can on LG but I don’t know how to guide you to that.

44 minutes ago, stepee said:

You’ve been playing GOW2 at like 80-90fps also, so you are still cutting your frame rate in half directly from that so it probably stands out a lot. You should be able to check the counter on your tv to see what the frame rate is, I can on mine, and I know you can on LG but I don’t know how to guide you to that.

Yea but I can still tell the difference between 30 and 40. Who knows, you might be correct here.

36 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea but I can still tell the difference between 30 and 40. Who knows, you might be correct here.

Oh I’m just saying it might be harder for you right now to go from 80-90 back down to 40 than it will be when you are more used to 60 going down to 40. Idk if it’s going 30 or 40 for you.

I’d double check the settings and make sure you are fully quit out of the game with the settings correct (not using quick resume) then open it back up. 

After that check that your tv shows it’s running in 120hz mode when the game is running, if you are, it’s probably 40fps: https://tvnoob.com/how-to-check-lg-oled-refresh-rate-fps-all-models/p

26 minutes ago, stepee said:

Oh I’m just saying it might be harder for you right now to go from 80-90 back down to 40 than it will be when you are more used to 60 going down to 40. Idk if it’s going 30 or 40 for you.

I’d double check the settings and make sure you are fully quit out of the game with the settings correct (not using quick resume) then open it back up. 

After that check that your tv shows it’s running in 120hz mode when the game is running, if you are, it’s probably 40fps: https://tvnoob.com/how-to-check-lg-oled-refresh-rate-fps-all-models/p

Very nice link. I'll check it tonight.

Very solid game. It's extremely linear but fun and I obviously care about the characters. The visuals can be spectacular and the sound is just as impressive.

40fps really improved my experience. I did notice a resolution decrease but got used to it quickly. The game is so simple and I'm finding that refreshing after 40 hours with Ragnarok.

@stepee This will look incredible on your pc and I'd imagine at least 60K, correct?

• 1 month later...

The ray tracing update finally hit so I’m checking that out today. It’s RT shadows only, so it’s nice and adds some depth but considering it seems to eat like 30% performance still I’d rather it were reflections or preferably GI. It doesn’t aren’t to give a cpu hit at least. 

Since on a 4090 this just means to turn dlaa down to dlss quality it’s a nice addition, but definitely wouldn’t be worth it on any non 4000 series card. 

Besides that I just got to the village area and my fuck this is an impressive looking game. Definitely one of the very few true current gen games out there, I suppose both literally and in terms of it being a big jump from last gen stuff. The only thing that isn’t quite up to par are the character models, which aren’t even bad, especially from a team this size, and I hate to knock something that’s more about budget, but they stand out more just because the rest of it looks so damn lifelike.

Crazy geometry detail here, it has me dreaming of what games in the future will look like in a way a proper current gen game (like cyberpunk pc) should do. 

Id probably put it at least on par with FW after playing more of it now, with FW of course getting extra credit for being 60fps on console, open world, and having substantially better looking character models, and cool looking robot dino’s (though this has the cool trick with the rats). 

Yeah I can’t stop sight seeing, I’m going to have a weirdly high playtime on this. Once we have a game with the environmental rendering of this, the lighting and reflections of Witcher 3 Current Gen, and the character modeling of Horizon in a more open game we will have a game that really starts showing the full potential of this gen. So, I guess, whatever high budget open world third person UE5 game with motion capture is first.

I could see the next one of these being that too, but I’m sure we get something from someone like that before then. I wonder what games this year will have geometry like this, Spider-man 2?