Neil Blomkamp’s Demonic

I really need to watch the short films he's directed since Chappie under his Oats Studios label. I really liked District 9 and I liked Elysium but I couldn't even get through Chappie but I'm all in on giving Neil Blomkamp another chance. I heard his short films are good (I believe there are 10 or 11 of them).

I was just thinking about him today. I do hope he can come back with success. Elysium was OK, I didn't bother with Chappie since I heard bad things, and can't stand Die Antwoord. Hopefully with this and the District 9 sequel he can get back on track. 

3 minutes ago, Brick said:

I was just thinking about him today. I do hope he can come back with success. Elysium was OK, I didn't bother with Chappie since I heard bad things, and can't stand Die Antwoord. Hopefully with this and the District 9 sequel he can get back on track. 

I think time has been kind to Elysium. I re-watched it recently and it was a lot of fun. Cool sci-fi B-movie.

It wasn’t the greatest but I’m probably one of the few that enjoyed Chappie. Elysium was cool looking but I wasn’t too big of a fan, but I should give it another viewing and see if things changed. He actually did a BMW commercial movie with Clive Owen like 10 minutes from my house, which is meh when you know the “where” they are. District 9 is still a fucking amazing movie too me still and I think Avatar robbed it for SFX award.

36 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I think time has been kind to Elysium. I re-watched it recently and it was a lot of fun. Cool sci-fi B-movie.

It's fine, but it has issues, chief among them nobody telling Jodie Foster that accent isn't working. 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, silentbob said:

It wasn’t the greatest but I’m probably one of the few that enjoyed Chappie. Elysium was cool looking but I wasn’t too big of a fan, but I should give it another viewing and see if things changed. He actually did a BMW commercial movie with Clive Owen like 10 minutes from my house, which is meh when you know the “where” they are. District 9 is still a fucking amazing movie too me still and I think Avatar robbed it for SFX award.

Definitely give it another viewing. Elysium has cool tech, cool guns, robots, it's fun.

31 minutes ago, Brick said:

It's fine, but it has issues, chief among them nobody telling Jodie Foster that accent isn't working. 

Hahaha, I agree there, but that's a pretty small thing. I did enjoy Sharlto Copley's insane performance.

15 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

I really need to watch the short films he's directed since Chappie under his Oats Studios label. I really liked District 9 and I liked Elysium but I couldn't even get through Chappie but I'm all in on giving Neil Blomkamp another chance. I heard his short films are good (I believe there are 10 or 11 of them).

Chappie was cool!

21 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Sharlto copley is one of the most underrated actors of our time. He's like Andy Serkis without the circle jerk.

He really is extremely underrated. He doesn't act often (a film a year) but I've always enjoyed his unique performances a lot. Some critics find him to be too over-the-top or showy but I think he always finds the right balance to make the character he plays compelling. And he's always willing to go for broke in a performance, he'll do anything. He also looks so different in every performance I feel like, so he's a physical chameleon as well. Also, he does like 10 different accents in The A-Team and they are all spot on, it's pretty incredible.

9 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Chappie was cool!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47xja3hq9sda5ingg2vm

41 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

My brothers and I couldn't make it through the robot with Die Antwood scenes. My God it was excruciating. Maybe someday I'll give the film another chance.

I think sometimes people go into a movie with preconceived expectations of what they are going to see and (sometimes) when it's not what they expect they end up hating the movie. Perhaps this is what you experienced.

When I watched it, I knew a lot of peopled hated it, so I was expecting something bad and I was pleasantly surprised. So maybe now that you know more or less what you're getting into, when you revisit it you'll likely enjoy it more.

I mean, just like how you described Neon Demon to me, those Die Antwood scenes are there to evoke that street grittiness that some might find excruciating. But I wouldn't pass this off because once things get going there's something there. There's a deliberate build up.

In any case I don't know what to tell you to make you see it :p

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I think sometimes people go into a movie with preconceived expectations of what they are going to see and (sometimes) when it's not what they expect they end up hating the movie. Perhaps this is what you experienced.

When I watched it, I knew a lot of peopled hated it, so I was expecting something bad and I was pleasantly surprised. So maybe now that you know more or less what you're getting into, when you revisit it you'll likely enjoy it more.

I mean, just like how you described Neon Demon to me, those Die Antwood scenes are there to evoke that street grittiness that some might find excruciating. But I wouldn't pass this off because once things get going there's something there. There's a deliberate build up.

In any case I don't know what to tell you to make you see it :p

It was just their childish behavior we couldn't stand. I understood the metaphor but watching it was not fun. But yeah I agree a rewatch is due.

3 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

It was just their childish behavior we couldn't stand. I understood the metaphor but watching it was not fun. But yeah I agree a rewatch is due.

Maybe you should listen to more Riff Raff and you'll be accustomed to the clowniness. :p

(Yeah I know they aren't the same guy but that's who he reminded me of the whole time, just South African instead)

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...