Biden signs anti-Asian hate crimes bill into law

210520-joe-biden-hate-crime-bill-ew-258p
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

Congress overwhelmingly supported the measure, which will speed the review of the crimes and aid in their reporting.

The House passed the measure Tuesday in a 364-62 vote after the Senate gave its overwhelming support, 94-1, last month. 

Also in the crowd were relatives of Heather Heyer, who was killed when a man intentionally drove his car into a crowd protesting white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia, in 2017, and Khalid Jabara, a Lebanese American shot in front of his home in 2016.

The legislation directs the Justice Department to expedite the review of Covid-19-related hate crimes that were reported to law enforcement agencies, help them establish ways to report such incidents online and perform public outreach.

The Justice Department and the Department of Health and Human Services are also required to issue guidance that seeks to raise awareness about the spate of anti-Asian hate crimes over the last year. The bill also creates grants for states to establish reporting hotlines.

Anti-Asian hate crimes increased by nearly 150 percent across major cities last year, according to an analysis released by the Center for the Study of Hate and Extremism at California State University, San Bernardino, in March.

5 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

All hate crimes matter

Yeah I didn't want it to come off that way or sound selfish. But all I'm saying is black people have been the target for hate crimes for eons but Asians get targeted in the past year and suddenly they need to pass laws and such.

Last year I had a theory about Sanders, if elected, making public displays of bigotry illegal and punishable by fine, possibly more, depending on the severity of it and how fucking hilarious it would be to see it implemented after a white supremacist tyrant is elected to rile up all the extreme bigots in America to be open with their hatred. Four years of that and a badass anti-authoritarian jew from the civil right movement subverts his second term and makes all behaviors associated with trumpism illegal. :lol:  Initiate operation schmuck tax.  If Biden does it it'll still be amusing enough, but it'll never be as poetic. Ah well.

5 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Last year I had a theory about Sanders, if elected, making public displays of bigotry illegal and punishable by fine, possibly more, depending on the severity of it and how fucking hilarious it would be to see it implemented after a white supremacist tyrant is elected to rile up all the extreme bigots in America to be open with their hatred. Four years of that and a badass anti-authoritarian jew from the civil right movement subverts his second term and makes all behaviors associated with trumpism illegal. :lol:  Initiate operation schmuck tax.  If Biden does it it'll still be amusing enough, but it'll never be as poetic. Ah well.

I have mah raights!!

• Haha 1