Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

ISW analysis for 12 April 2022:

WWW.UNDERSTANDINGWAR.ORG

Russia continued offensive operations in eastern Ukraine on a limited basis as it worked to reconstitute forces withdrawn from the Battle of Kyiv and to establish necessary logistical bases for increased offensive operations in the Donbas area. Russian

Russia continued offensive operations in eastern Ukraine on a limited basis as it worked to reconstitute forces withdrawn from the Battle of Kyiv and to establish necessary logistical bases for increased offensive operations in the Donbas area. Russian forces withdrawn from the Kyiv region have not yet been reintroduced into Ukraine to fight. The Russian military has continued to conduct small-scale limited offensive operations on the Izyum and Severodonetsk axes and has not yet gone over to a better-resourced or broader offensive campaign. The Battle of Mariupol continues even as Ukrainian officials accuse Russia of using chemical weapons on Mariupol’s defenders.

Key Takeaways

• The Russian military continues offensive operations in Donbas and is not in a pure reconstitution phase. It has not undertaken an across-the-board operational pause while waiting for reinforcements to arrive. In part, as a result, it has made limited gains while continuing to sustain significant losses.
  • Mariupol has not yet fallen.

The Russian military continues efforts to reconstitute forces damaged in the failed attack on Kyiv in the Belgorod and Voronezh areas but has not yet sent those forces back into Ukraine to resume fighting. Ukrainian reports suggest that morale and will to fight remain low in some Russian units and areas. The Ukrainian General Staff reported on April 12 that elements of the Russian 41st Combined Arms Army and the 90th Tank Division are relocating to Belgorod and Voronezh Oblasts.[1]

The Ukrainian Defense Intelligence also claimed on April 12 that Russian troops continued to struggle with low morale and that promised financial incentives to participate in combat in Ukraine have not been delivered to some units as promised.[2] The report stated that servicemen of the 47th Guards Tank Division of the 1st Tank Army failed to receive promised additional payment for participating in operations in Ukraine and that military leadership ignored appeals for payments.[3] The Ukrainian GUR claims that Russian troops are refusing to participate in fighting due to the number of bodies returning to Russia from Ukraine and that the Russian military is shipping bodies in smaller batches to avoid causing panic in local communities.

DraftUkraineCoTApril12,2022.png

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

How much time would it take to train to use them? Seems like it isn't something you can do in an 8 hour course. 

Espeically the upkeep and mainentence aspect.

You know those situations where the teacher takes the test for you? 

8 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

How much time would it take to train to use them? Seems like it isn't something you can do in an 8 hour course. 

Espeically the upkeep and mainentence aspect.

Those drones can be operated from the continental US with Ukrainian "pilots" sitting in the drone facility, I'm sure the US service members in there as well would just be advising them on what to do.

2 hours ago, elbobo said:

Those drones can be operated from the continental US with Ukrainian "pilots" sitting in the drone facility, I'm sure the US service members in there as well would just be advising them on what to do.

That might be a "bridge too far" for the United States in terms of effectively direct involvement in the war.

IF (big if) the US transfers Reapers/Predators to Ukraine that are in fact armed, I would imagine Ukraine already has crews that can operate them. They operate Bayraktars just fine, and I can't imagine the terminal to control an MQ-1/9 would be that different in concept. 

But I would also guess that if there are any US personnel standing over the shoulder of a Ukrainian operator, they wouldn't be Air Force or Army. They'd work for The Company. And if that's the case, and the Russia winds up striking the Ukrainian drone base, then my guess is in a few years the CIA Memorial Wall will get a couple more stars on it that aren't explained.

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'm not sure if the Biden administration is aware of just how incompetent these volte-faces make them appear.

Only ones allowed to talk anything military should be Biden, Austin, and whoever is the NATO Supreme Allied Commander. 

15 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

A tale as old as time itself...

Yep. Russia is using mostly ethnic minorities from rural and poor regions of Russia. There are reports from around Chernihiv that some of the Russian soldiers didn't have a full grasp on indoor plumbing (specifically modern toilets), as they came from areas with no plumbing or electricity infrastructure.

After weeks of Germany dragging their own heels on weapon shipments (and even trying to stop other EU nations from sending weapons), Ukraine's ambassador to Germany shamed them, and said Ukraine doesn't want Germany's President to visit Ukraine (the chancellor may be going, however). Well...now German news/editorials is full of anti-Ukraine stories and how Ukraine isn't grateful, there should be less German help, etc.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yep. Russia is using mostly ethnic minorities from rural and poor regions of Russia. There are reports from around Chernihiv that some of the Russian soldiers didn't have a full grasp on indoor plumbing (specifically modern toilets), as they came from areas with no plumbing or electricity infrastructure.

That anecdote is identical to those from the Second World War when the Red Army began occupying German territory.

4 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That anecdote is identical to those from the Second World War when the Red Army began occupying German territory.

Yep. There was an interview with an old woman from northern Ukraine who said her own grandmother used to tell stories about Soviet troops who would steal kitchen sinks and lightbulbs, thinking they could nail them into their homes when they returned from war, not understanding that you need plumbing and electricity to use them...and now, 75+ years later, Russian troops are still arriving without having used these things. Like, in WWII you could at least make the same argument about troops from the US also having similar experiences (coming from regions without a lot of electricity or indoor plumbing)...but not now.

I actually read a good commentary recently about how rural living conditions are one of the main differences between developed, western nations and non-developed nations pretending to be modernized. Someone living in remote Canada, the US, Norway, etc will likely have access to electricity, plumbing (even if from wells, etc), internet, etc. But people in Russia or China? Not so much. Their urban areas are more developed, but the countryside is still 50+ years in the past.

4 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

After weeks of Germany dragging their own heels on weapon shipments (and even trying to stop other EU nations from sending weapons), Ukraine's ambassador to Germany shamed them, and said Ukraine doesn't want Germany's President to visit Ukraine (the chancellor may be going, however). Well...now German news/editorials is full of anti-Ukraine stories and how Ukraine isn't grateful, there should be less German help, etc.

I hate this war. It's just a NATO/Russia proxy war in Ukraine. I feel bad for Ukraine the most. We amp'ed them up about joining NATO/EU. Leaving Russia behind and embracing the West and it's caused them nothing but trouble. AFAIK the West isn'r helping to try to negociate a settlement or ceasefire. It's just keep sending them weapons. Which I understand but I guess the plan is just to let Ukraine fight to the last Ukrainian?

It's also not loke they can go back to being friendly with Russia either. Russia is not taking kindly to this so there is no way to not expect mass arrests, disappearances, etc.

Situation is totally fucked.