Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

It also seems that the city isn't nearly as encircled as reported as they reportedly received armaments a few days ago from outside.

Yeah that's more of why I posted it (I too hope that Azov Regiment is wiped out), the Russian claims of almost taking the city keep being stretched out every week.

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah that's more of why I posted it (I too hope that Azov Regiment is wiped out), the Russian claims of almost taking the city keep being stretched out every week.

The funny thing is Russia failing all around and allowing Azov to do a like Spartan defense is only going to make them way stronger.

original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

Ukraine’s success illuminates a strategy that has allowed a smaller state to—so far—outlast a larger and much more powerful one.

Battles reveal more than they decide. Battles in which the outcome is truly up for grabs are rare, and battles that prove decisive in achieving a political goal are rarer still. Instead, battles demonstrate how effectively combatants planned, prepared, and executed before the fighting began. The result of a battle exposes not only how well matched the sides are but also how the war might unfold in the future. In that sense, the outcome of the Battle of Kyiv was never in doubt. Russia’s and Ukraine’s preparations for the fight essentially preordained the result. But the Battle of Kyiv has revealed a great deal about why Ukraine has done so much better in the war than many analysts predicted.

How and why Ukrainian forces outperformed expectations is perhaps the most important story of this war. A close look at Ukraine’s successes illuminates a strategy that has allowed a smaller state to—so far—outlast a larger and much more powerful one. Call it the “Ukrainian way of war.”

The Ukrainian way of war is a coherent, intelligent, and well-conceived strategy to fight the Russians, one well calibrated to take advantage of specific Russian weaknesses. It has allowed the Ukrainians to maintain mobility, helped force the Russians into static positions for long periods by fouling up their logistics, opened up the Russians to high losses from attrition, and, in the Battle of Kyiv, led to a victory that has completely recast the political endgame of the Russian invasion. The original maximalist Russian attempt to seize all of Ukraine has been drastically scaled back to a far more limited effort aimed at seizing territory in the east and south of the country.

Of course, the war has entered into a new, highly attritional phase with the shift towards the Donbass, one where the Ukrainian way of war might not be nearly as effective.

Unless the adopting parents are abusive or the child is in danger, then I believe that adoption is almost always a net benefit for the child, and world. Even if the child is removed from their birth culture/nation. Though hopefully in that case their adoptive family keeps them informed/in touch with their origins as best they can.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Unless the adopting parents are abusive or the child is in danger, then I believe that adoption is almost always a net benefit for the child, and world. Even if the child is removed from their birth culture/nation. Though hopefully in that case their adoptive family keeps them informed/in touch with their origins as best they can.

Yeah. That's likely correct. The context I've seen it in is Evangelical Christian organizations adopting and fully assimilating the children into Evangelical American culture. 

• True 1

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

While bad, adoptions of Ukrainian and Russian children by parents in the West has always felt really pernicious to me. I can't put it into words. But it just does. 

Just now, CayceG said:

Yeah. That's likely correct. The context I've seen it in is Evangelical Christian organizations adopting and fully assimilating the children into Evangelical American culture. 

But on a happy note, I've found a wonderful Ukrainian folk quartet that's way out there. They're called DakhaBrakha. 

I listen to this and just get teary-eyed. The rhythms and sound and harmonies are just so evocative of the undercurrents in Ukrainian culture to me. 

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:

But on a happy note, I've found a wonderful Ukrainian folk quartet that's way out there. They're called DakhaBrakha. 

I listen to this and just get teary-eyed. The rhythms and sound and harmonies are just so evocative of the undercurrents in Ukrainian culture to me. 

I've performed on the same stage as them, they are fantastic! 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Fantastic political system.  Truly the envy of the world.

I find it fascinating that like essential workers basically have to be on call, meanwhile Congress can be like "dude, it's Sunday, the crisis can wait until after my vacation."

Great timing for this to erupt:

_124095221_mediaitem124095219.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The French president made the comments following criticism over his talks with Vladimir Putin.

French President Emmanuel Macron has called Polish PM Mateusz Morawiecki "a far-right anti-Semite who bans LGBT people", after being criticised for his talks with Russia's Vladimir Putin.

Mr Morawiecki compared Mr Macron's efforts to negotiating with Hitler.

The French president has held regular conversations with Mr Putin since the beginning of the conflict in Ukraine.

On Friday, Poland summoned the French ambassador over Mr Macron's comments, made to a French newspaper.

"How many times have you negotiated with Putin and what have you achieved?" Mr Morawiecki said on Monday.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Great timing for this to erupt:

_124095221_mediaitem124095219.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The French president made the comments following criticism over his talks with Vladimir Putin.

My choices for where to seek asylum in a second Trump administration:

1. The Netherlands

2. Germany

[-1]. Not France

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

okay but they're literally Nazis

Nazis don't get a pass for being the broken clock.

Eh they are more ultra nationalists with a nazi element.  Not that they are choir boys but I think "how bad" they are is overstated.

Either way admiring how tough and commited they are to defending Mariupol isn't a moral judgement 

• Guillotine 1