Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

I'm starting to think that too many people have a video game mentality when it comes to actual war, and I don't just mean here. I mean the media as well. I'm watching and reading all sorts of "the Russians are failing because the war isn't going as well as they planned" TWO DAYS INTO THE BATTLE. Battles take time, and there are ebbs and flows that are quite often so unpredictable, but the reality of the situation is the results you achieve at the end of the battle. There are so many factors that have not yet come into play that will make a serious difference in how this plays out, yet we're not even touching on the Plans B, C, and D that have been drawn up long before the first bullet was fired.

I'd love to see the Ukrainians wipe out the Russians during this conflict, but the Russians went in with the knowledge that their military suffers in serious areas that their generals have obviously thought long and hard about. Things like command and control, supply chains, morale, and even deterioration of their advanced weaponry has all been realized as struggles they would have to correct once in the field.

If you look at history, even the US had some serious complications when we first fielded units into battle (both World War II where we jumped into battle with low tech and built up our tech as the war escalated AND the Gulf War where we jumped into battle with equipment that had no armor, practically building it onto our Humvee's during battle, using stuff we found in the field until actual supply lines could bolster our equipment with what it really needed).

• Thanks 1
  • True 1

1 minute ago, silentbob said:

In some ways, do you think Putin’s failure is an excuse for him to play with his bigger guns on actually people? Like, how close do you guys think he is too going with nukes?

Russia's policy has been that they will use first-strike nuclear weapons if they are losing a war, defensively (so if NATO forces were entering Russian soil, Russia would use nukes to stop them). I can't imagine in any rational world that Russia would use nuclear weapons in Ukraine, no matter how bad their losses.

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

US would have collapsed by now 

I mean, in large swathes of the country there's no public transport to actually shut down in the first place. There would be one Uber guy in each mid-sized city still taking rides, and Uber's social media intern would make a post about it like, "Never stop the grind 💪💪💪💪💪"

• Haha 2
  • True 1

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Translated:

• 14 aircraft (13 attackers (SU-25 and other CAS) and 1 IL-76)
  • 8 helicopters
  • 102 tanks
  • 536 armored cars and APCs
  • 15 artillery pieces
  • 1 Buk air defense system
  • 3500 soldiers (dead, captured, wounded)

All TASS did was copy that from the Ukrainian MoD last night - it's the same numbers.

17 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I'm starting to think that too many people have a video game mentality when it comes to actual war, and I don't just mean here. I mean the media as well. I'm watching and reading all sorts of "the Russians are failing because the war isn't going as well as they planned" TWO DAYS INTO THE BATTLE. Battles take time, and there are ebbs and flows that are quite often so unpredictable, but the reality of the situation is the results you achieve at the end of the battle. There are so many factors that have not yet come into play that will make a serious difference in how this plays out, yet we're not even touching on the Plans B, C, and D that have been drawn up long before the first bullet was fired.

I'd love to see the Ukrainians wipe out the Russians during this conflict, but the Russians went in with the knowledge that their military suffers in serious areas that their generals have obviously thought long and hard about. Things like command and control, supply chains, morale, and even deterioration of their advanced weaponry has all been realized as struggles they would have to correct once in the field.

If you look at history, even the US had some serious complications when we first fielded units into battle (both World War II where we jumped into battle with low tech and built up our tech as the war escalated AND the Gulf War where we jumped into battle with equipment that had no armor, practically building it onto our Humvee's during battle, using stuff we found in the field until actual supply lines could bolster our equipment with what it really needed).

Nah, Russia is fucking this up pretty badly, they're supply lines are getting destroyed, entire columns are just running out of fuel, and soldiers are getting hungry.  That and they seem to just be driving around the countryside to get blown to hell.  Theres no reason any of this should be happening to a "competent" military.

4 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

How many tanks, aircraft, soldiers, etc. has Ukraine lost? I always see the Russian figures posted.

2 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Oh, they're definitely not gonna tell the world that!

2 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I would think UA doesn't want that information out there in any way, shape, or form.

Just in...

Just now, marioandsonic said:

How much of this early success should be credited to Ukraine?  Or is this much more on Russia failing?

Combination of both. Ukrainians have been incredibly resistant to invasion (both militarily and culturally), and Russia apparently did not understand that or plan for it. Additionally, Ukraine managed to keep their air force and air defenses partially intact (credit to Ukraine), and Russia has continued to send paratroopers and helicopters deep into Ukrainian territory despite this (bad decision by Russia).

• Thanks 1