Name your top 3 favorite Netflix content in the last year or so

19 hours ago, best3444 said:

Well Lupin was the first to show up when I was searching. I just watched the first episode and it was good. I'm intrigued to watch more.

@Joe that was your recommendation and you were correct, sir. :thumbup:

It's soooo good! And only a few eps, so not a big commitment.

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

When I looked it up they categorized it as anime/dark fantasy. I'll take your word for it that it's not anime. :p

Ah, Netflix's genre sorting is pretty bad, to be fair. Anime means animation from Japan, made in Japan for Japanese audiences, basically. There is American animation "inspired by" the anime style, but made for American audiences but it has a different feel and tone from anime made in Japan for Japan. Castlevania is an entirely American production with American writers, directors, and producers made first and foremost for a North American audience but obviously Castlevania is a Japanese video game series so I see the confusion. :)

8 hours ago, best3444 said:

I just looked this up and anime isn't something I enjoy. I'm sure it's good if you're into dark medieval fantasy. I'll have to pass on that one. 

I think I'm going to go back and forth with Lupin and Ozark season 3 for now.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

You're being very best right now but I'm not going to twist your arm.

Are you familiar it's an adaptation of the video game Castlevania? It's no more medieval fantasy than that and it's quite good. It's like how Game of Thrones was so good even if you didn't like fantasy stuff.

That being said the first season is very short (not super good) but if you can get to season 2 and 3 you're in for a good time.

6 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah, Netflix's genre sorting is pretty bad, to be fair. Anime means animation from Japan, made in Japan for Japanese audiences, basically. There is American animation "inspired by" the anime style, but made for American audiences but it has a different feel and tone from anime made in Japan for Japan. Castlevania is an entirely American production with American writers, directors, and producers made first and foremost for a North American audience but obviously Castlevania is a Japanese video game series so I see the confusion. :)

Personally I'd say anime is a style not just something from Japan. The characters in the show are in an anime style more than they are American style (which really isn't anything anymore, it used to be like rotoscoped looking stuff like he-man and stuff back in the day)

I guess Frederator did Fairly Oddparents  so consider that American style. :p

You can apply an anime style to any narrative from any country but I'd still call it an anime.

21 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Are you familiar it's an adaptation of the video game Castlevania? It's no more medieval fantasy than that and it's quite good. It's like how Game of Thrones was so good even if you didn't like fantasy stuff.

That being said the first season is very short (not super good) but if you can get to season 2 and 3 you're in for a good time.

The Lupin that we're talking about has zero to do with anime. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Personally I'd say anime is a style not just something from Japan. The characters in the show are in an anime style more than they are American style (which really isn't anything anymore, it used to be like rotoscoped looking stuff like he-man and stuff back in the day)

I guess Frederator did Fairly Oddparents  so consider that American style. :p

You can apply an anime style to any narrative from any country but I'd still call it an anime.

You can but that doesn't mean it's anime. That means it's in an anime style. It's not monolithic, but in no way would I tell someone Castlevania or Avatar or Teen Titans is anime.

31 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

So then . . . ?

This conversation got me thinking. Does the origin make it anime or does the style make it anime? I remembered one that breaks the mold.

Are you familiar with Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt? It's from Gainax makers from acclaimed anime such as Evangelion and Gurren Lagann (and some ex members would go on to form Trigger makers of Kill la Kill and DARLING in the FRANXX) so it is anime in origin but the style of the actual animation is almost a parody of American animation style like Invader Zim or Powerpuff Girls. The only time it's like a traditional style is also kind of a parody, because they transform and then look like a traditional anime :p

And then throw in some explosions of real miniatures for good measure!

So I think sort of in line with what you're saying. Textbook definition is animation from Japan (remember the "Japanimation" nomenclature back in the day?) but has since evolved to "Japanese Style Anime" or "X other style Anime", but are just kind of sorted as Anime.

That being said Frederator on their own site does not refer to the show itself as anime but rather an animated series. So whatever!

10 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Not sure what you're talking about right here? I don't like watching animated entertainment. I liked He-Man, Transformers, GI-Joe etc growing up as a kid. After that, I never sought out or enjoyed animated shows, movies, etc. 

Lupin is not animation lol if that's what your aim is here.

BTW, I watched episode 2 of Lupin last night and it's very interesting. Keeps you watching that's for sure. :)

10 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Not sure what you're talking about right here? I don't like watching animated entertainment. I liked He-Man, Transformers, GI-Joe etc growing up as a kid. After that, I never sought out or enjoyed animated shows, movies, etc. 

Lupin is not animation lol if that's what your aim is here.

BTW, I watched episode 2 of Lupin last night and it's very interesting. Keeps you watching that's for sure. :)

@TheLeon Cleared it up for me.

There is a famous long running anime called Lupin The 3rd (like 14 movies and several TV shows) which is what I thought what you were watching. Apparently some asshole went ahead and made a show called Lupin that is not associated with it. :peace:

girl iii GIF

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

There is a famous long running anime called Lupin The 3rd (like 14 movies and several TV shows) which is what I thought what you were watching. Apparently some asshole went ahead and made a show called Lupin that is not associated with it. :peace:

girl iii GIF

Yea, I finally read the other replies and realized you were speaking about something entirely different. It's 😎 

1 minute ago, Keyser_Soze said:

That being said you should still give Castlevania a chance. You got nothing to lose but maybe five minutes if you hate it right away.

I barely enjoyed the Castlevania series growing up minus symphony of the night in HS. I'll keep in the back burner but I can't promise you I'll give it 2 minutes.  :p

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

girl iii GIF

It’s interesting that these are two completely different ways of loosely “adapting” the same source material. Lupin the Third is about the grandson of the character from the classic French novels. In the new Netflix show, the main character is a modern day guy who has basically modeled his entire life around those books. 

16 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

So I think sort of in line with what you're saying. Textbook definition is animation from Japan (remember the "Japanimation" nomenclature back in the day?) but has since evolved to "Japanese Style Anime" or "X other style Anime", but are just kind of sorted as Anime.

That being said Frederator on their own site does not refer to the show itself as anime but rather an animated series. So whatever!

Hahaha I think you and I basically agree (yes, I do remember "Japanimation" haha). I agree it's fluid, but I do think it at least has to be animated by a Japanese studio or heavily done in an anime style for it to be considered anime. Castlevania has very American style storytelling, for instance.

• 5 months later...