New setup HALP

Fizzzzle

I just set up a new system. Everything seems to be plugged in and working fine. All the lights are on, all the fans are whirring, the CPU fan moves, my monitor kicks on. But.... no BIOS. I think it has something to do with my drive setup, but I'm not sure what. This is the first time I'm using a PCIe SSD, so I wonder if that has something to do with it? I don't know why it would, though... does a PCIe SSD default to your C drive? Should I take it out and put it back in later after I've completed the setup?

33 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Er, your BIOS splash screen should always come up regardless of drive, unless you disabled the splash screen in the BIOS itself. If you are not seeing your BIOS, what are you seeing? I would guess no output at all? 

Yeah. My monitor turns on, so it's detecting an input signal, but nothing happens and I'm not getting a beep from the motherboard or anything.

5 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah. My monitor turns on, so it's detecting an input signal, but nothing happens and I'm not getting a beep from the motherboard or anything.

OK, does your motherboard have a 2 digit alphanumeric LED panel? Most do these days, and when your system does not post, you can use that code to know what's wrong. Look up the code on your motherboard manufacturer's website or in the mobo manual. 

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

OK, does your motherboard have a 2 digit alphanumeric LED panel? Most do these days, and when your system does not post, you can use that code to know what's wrong. Look up the code on your motherboard manufacturer's website or in the mobo manual. 

I'll have to check when I get back from work

5 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

If there is 2 digit code, then there will be just 2-4 simple LED troubleshooting lights that are either red or green upon bootup, and again just look up the code in the manual.

Just now, Spork3245 said:

Check all your plugs and reseat all your ram, really make sure all the dimms are in. I had a similar issue with the PC I built my dad for Christmas, turned out to be the RAM was finicky with being seated in the dimms.

I was curious about that. It did seem like some of the connections went in too easy, as it were.

Still haven't had time to trouble shoot. I think I have the day off tomorrow so we'll see then

On 2/27/2021 at 11:44 AM, Firewithin said:

what cpu/MB combo?  are you using a newer cpu that may have needed the MB flashed first?

i7 10700KF/Asus Z590-A. It shouldn't need flashed, as the motherboard is designed for both 10th and 11th gen CPUs, and this is a 10th.

I finally have both the time and the willpower to trouble shoot today, so we'll see what's up.

Actually, we'll see about the willpower. But tomorrow I don't have the time, so...:tired:

I think I figured it out. I missed a power connection that seems to have something to do with powering the CPU. The issue is that I do not own the correct cable to remedy the situation.

Or I could just use my other PSU, which does have that cable. That PSU isn't modular, though (hence my issue) and I hate non-modular PSUs. That PSU is also 650w, which is probably more than fine, but maybe not if I want to turn this build into a big beefy boi down the line.

I guess I'll swap PSUs for now and see what happens.

@Fizzzzle Did you get this figured out? If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you're missing the 4-pin CPU power, right? Your PSU should have come with the correct cable, and if not you should be able to find one online, either through a retailer (e.g. Amazon) or by contacting the manufacturer. Just be aware that the cables on modular power supplies are unfortunately not necessarily standardized so you'll need to make sure and get the right one for the manufacturer. 

11 minutes ago, Nokra said:

@Fizzzzle Did you get this figured out? If I'm understanding correctly, it sounds like you're missing the 4-pin CPU power, right? Your PSU should have come with the correct cable, and if not you should be able to find one online, either through a retailer (e.g. Amazon) or by contacting the manufacturer. Just be aware that the cables on modular power supplies are unfortunately not necessarily standardized so you'll need to make sure and get the right one for the manufacturer. 

Yeah, I was missing the 4-pin. I did get it sorted, I just haven't been assed with bothering to reseat the cooler yet, though I think I don't have to. I just realized the radiator for the cooler is touching one of the RAM sticks, that's probably why it wasn't working so great.

3 hours ago, Nokra said:

On second thought, because the CPU power on the mobo is a 4x2 and a 2x2, which I haven't seen before, do you think it's a problem that one of those connections is daisy-chained? (I have like a 3x2 connected to a molex connected to the 2x2)