Biden to end DOJ private prison contracts

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Biden to end DOJ private prison contracts
18 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

At least with medical services you have a choice somewhat. With prisons someone is literally a prisoner of a private corporation. That shit is straight out of Robocop.

Loved choosing what hospital to go to based on the agreements negotiated between the doctors, hospitals, and my insurance company last week. (When in reality I wanted the one with the fewest hospitalized covid patients that was in network)

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Loved choosing what hospital to go to based on the agreements negotiated between the doctors, hospitals, and my insurance company last week. (When in reality I wanted the one with the fewest hospitalized covid patients that was in network)

I'm not saying our health care is great. I'm just saying being a prisoner of a private corporation is another level. 

Private prisons are a pretty small part of the prison industrial complex. Only something like 5% of prisoners in the US are housed in privately owned prisons. Plenty of states don't even have any. The bigger issue is corporations profiting off of either prison labor or prison commissary. Those companies lobby governments to maintain things like mandatory minimums to retain the prison population.

2 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

And those aren't just at for profit prisons. That's at every prison. $15 for a phone call. $3 for a shitty pack of cheese spread. $200 for a 10" TV, etc.

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

I'm not saying that somebody in a for profit prison has a better living situation than somebody receiving services at a for profit shelter, just that the concept of a non-charity charity is more absurd than for profit prisons. 

I just heard a rather cynical take that governments are only taking stances on private prisons now given that most of the industry is slowly backing away from running full prisons, anyway. As the war on drugs winds down and governments are trying to turn to alternatives other than locking people up, there won't be as much money in straight up owning prisons. Instead, they want to do things like privatize prison medical care and drug treatment programs. "Privatize prison medical care" is a horrible sentence to write.

Something else I just thought about - as the number of inmates gets reduced from drug crimes, the prisons themselves will start to be reduced. If I ran a private prison company, I'd probably be trying to get rid of my prisons before they get decommissioned, as most prisons are in the middle of nowhere. Though, I'm not sure if most private prisons are on land owned by the company or simply leased from the state. My guess is the latter more than the former.