Any news on compatible SSD drives for PS5?

BloodyHell

32 minutes ago, eggydoo said:

The storage is soldered onto the board.  They recommended any external nvme for ps4 games and local for ps5.

There is a port for a second ssd, and sony should be telling is which ones work and adding support for it to the firmware. Screw that external drive bs.

2 hours ago, eggydoo said:

The storage is soldered onto the board.  They recommended any external nvme for ps4 games and local for ps5.

Any external drive for PS4 games*, doesn’t have to be nvme. There’s a spot to add an additional m.2 for PS5 games, however, it must be one that meets certain speed requirements, and Sony has not released a list for what drives are compatible nor enabled the additional port yet. :) 

3 hours ago, JPDunks4 said:

Are externals safe to plug in yet?

I finally added one 2 weeks ago.  Only system issue I had was a complete freeze up when playing Miles Morales, probably unrelated to the hard drive.  Heck, it wasn't even a clean drive.  I just unplugged it from my PS4 and plugged it to the PS5 and it recognized all the games on it.

5 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I finally added one 2 weeks ago.  Only system issue I had was a complete freeze up when playing Miles Morales, probably unrelated to the hard drive.  Heck, it wasn't even a clean drive.  I just unplugged it from my PS4 and plugged it to the PS5 and it recognized all the games on it.

I think Miles was one of the games being mentioned at release to be freezing up while an external drive was plugged in. I feel like Sony would have definitely had a firmware by now to clear those issues up. But I can't say for sure. 

3 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I think Miles was one of the games being mentioned at release to be freezing up while an external drive was plugged in. I feel like Sony would have definitely had a firmware by now to clear those issues up. But I can't say for sure. 

Im sure they did. I remember it in a patch note. But im not positive.

9 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Hmm.  Well I actually beat the entire game, plus did all the side quests, without an issue.  Froze up once, so far, when I started a New Game Plus.