Anybody here own Control Ultimate Edition on PS5?

DarkStar189

Does the game actually show up as "Control Ultimate Edition" for you when downloaded? I already owned vanilla Control digitally and tonight I just bought the Ultimate Edition for $20 in preparation for next months patch.  Bought it, hit download, and the game has the old black and white "Control" logo. Nothing extra  comes up to download under "manage game content". The 2 expansions say purchased on the store but no option to download them. I launched the game and it doesn't mention anything about the expansions being installed. It's bugging me because I swear I saw a video online where someones PS5 had Control Ultimate Edition installed and it had the games new box art as the icon to click on. 

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Have you checked to see if it downloaded two versions of the game or anything?

I feel like I searched everywhere. I deleted the game. Went back to the sale page for Control UE, click download and it takes me to the normal Control page to download. Weird. I guess I won't worry about it until the PS5 patch comes out. 

11 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

I’m tempted to buy this at $20 as well. Let us know if you figure it out! What a mess Sony has made with that stuff. 

I ended up watching an "unboxing" of someone opening a physical copy on YouTube. There was no code inside, just the disc. After the install, the game had the same old logo for the game and upon boot up, his menu in game looked just like mine. I'm going to assume it's installed right. I feel like I'm making a bigger deal out of it then I should. But with all the controversy surrounding the ultimate edition being a separate thing, they could at least call it that when you install/play it. 

• 4 weeks later...

OK so the Ultimate Edition is out. I started by "checking for update". There are no updates. Go to the store and I see I can download the UE and it downloads fine. I launch Control and go to video settings and there are no video settings to adjust. Exit out of the game to see it just says Control. I tab over to Installed Games and it just says Control. I go to my Storage settings to see both versions of Control are installed but there is no icon for me to launch the UE. So I uninstalled the standard version from the storage settings. Now the Control icon magically says Control Ultimate Edition. This version loads much faster through the start up screens and there are video settings to adjust. Was I expecting too much by thinking it would be easy? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Remarkableriots said:

It was incredibly easy for me to download the UE and had zero problems.

:shrug:

My problem stems from me expecting my current install of Control was going to update itself. Then the other promise from Sony that a message would pop up on screen if you were about to launch the PS4  version of a game when the PS5 version is is available(i think they added that in a firmware update). 

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

My problem stems from me expecting my current install of Control was going to update itself. Then the other promise from Sony that a message would pop up on screen if you were about to launch the PS4  version of a game when the PS5 version is is available(i think they added that in a firmware update). 

I mean, you can just click the game options (the ... button next to the play button) and it will tell you if you're downloading the right edition, or if other editions are available.

2 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

Except that wouldn't work with Control because the developer not Sony considers it a completely different game. It's the reason they gave for not giving a free upgrade for people who owned Control. If the developer had made it a normal upgrade between the PS4 and PS5 versions it would have worked like Sony implemented. This is completely different compared to for example Spider-Man: Miles Morales where it's just an updated free version from PS4 to PS5. It's like how you have to buy the PS5 version of Spider-Man even if you own the PS 4 Spider-Man. Thus it's the developers fault not Sonys. The developer was greedy and wanted players to have to double dip having to buy the UE after owning Control. If it wasn't part of the PS+ free games you would have had to purchase it a 2nd time.

59 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Except that wouldn't work with Control because the developer not Sony considers it a completely different game. It's the reason they gave for not giving a free upgrade for people who owned Control. If the developer had made it a normal upgrade between the PS4 and PS5 versions it would have worked like Sony implemented. This is completely different compared to for example Spider-Man: Miles Morales where it's just an updated free version from PS4 to PS5. It's like how you have to buy the PS5 version of Spider-Man even if you own the PS 4 Spider-Man. Thus it's the developers fault not Sonys. The developer was greedy and wanted players to have to double dip having to buy the UE after owning Control. If it wasn't part of the PS+ free games you would have had to purchase it a 2nd time.

Guess that makes sense. I think my lingering question then is when I had both versions downloaded and installed, I couldn't find a way to launch the UE. Went up and down the installed games list and just vanilla Control was listed. Maybe checking game options would have given me an option to launch the UE? I don't know, they sure don't make this shit clear enough lol.