Bob Dylan sells entire music catalog to Universal Media Group

SaysWho?

201207-bob-dylan-jm-0723_d2f74bfa7c49594
WWW.NBCNEWS.COM

The catalog runs from Dylan's 1962 "Blowin' in the Wind" to "Murder Most Foul," released earlier this year, the music company said Monday.

The deal means that more than 600 of Dylan's copyrighted songs written over nearly 60 years — "from 1962's cultural milestone 'Blowin' In The Wind' to this year's epic 'Murder Most Foul,'" the press release said — are now owned by the media giant.

"It is no exaggeration to say that his vast body of work has captured the love and admiration of billions of people all around the world," Lucian Grainge, Chairman and CEO of Universal Music Group, said in the press release announcing the deal.

"I have no doubt that decades, even centuries from now, the words and music of Bob Dylan will continue to be sung and played—and cherished—everywhere," Grainge added.

10 minutes ago, number305 said:

I don't understand people being upset by this.  Congrats to him and to his family on getting 'somewhere in the 9 figures' for his work.  This literally has no effect on you or your enjoyment of the music.

Most of his songs that he's famous for were written in the 60s. They shouldn't even still be under copyright.

Personally, I think the copyright should expire after maybe 50 years at most, but on death would still be an improvement from what we have now.

I don't think it matters to me who owns the rights to Dylan's songs. I don't really know how protective Dylan has been about licencing his music, so I don't have much idea if we're going to hear it pop up much more now or not.

While I appreciate what Bob Dylan did for music... it's 2020, his music honestly kind of sucks. Come at me.

Music is a progressive art form. Everyone builds on who came before. People have done what Bob Dylan did, only better. That doesn't mean he wasn't important, but I honestly think if you have some B-Dilz on your spotify playlist, it's just to make yourself feel sophisticated.