Xbox Brazil Drops Female Host Due To Death/Rape Threats

SimpleG

Translation

At the beginning of September, when I announced my new job at Xbox Brasil, I suffered harassment of all kinds, from people saying that I didn't play x or y and that I wasn't "worthy" of my job, to rape/death threats and aggression for exposing tense situations.
Thanks to the help of my family, boyfriend and friends, I learned well on how to deal with this, but it didn't meant that it was not happening anymore.
And thanks to all these harassments, Microsoft decided that it was for the best sever ties with me as a host so I wouldn't be more exposed to situations like these that happened.

I respect the decision made by Microsoft,
my love for them will be the same as always,
Thank you.

I really am starting to hate this hobby

4 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Translation

At the beginning of September, when I announced my new job at Xbox Brasil, I suffered harassment of all kinds, from people saying that I didn't play x or y and that I wasn't "worthy" of my job, to rape/death threats and aggression for exposing tense situations.
Thanks to the help of my family, boyfriend and friends, I learned well on how to deal with this, but it didn't meant that it was not happening anymore.
And thanks to all these harassments, Microsoft decided that it was for the best sever ties with me as a host so I wouldn't be more exposed to situations like these that happened.

I respect the decision made by Microsoft,
my love for them will be the same as always,
Thank you.

I really am starting to hate this hobby

Most toxic community of "fans" in fandom. Its been like that since online became a thing and MS is significantly responsible for their failure to police their paid live service adequately early on. Now you have a whole generation of gamers, mostly men who grew up with no consequences for their terrible cowardly behavior.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:37 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

Most toxic community of "fans" in fandom. Its been like that since online became a thing and MS is significantly responsible for their failure to police their paid live service adequately early on. Now you have a whole generation of gamers, mostly men who grew up with no consequences for their terrible cowardly behavior.

I'm not sure that's fair. I'd say the policing in the early days was pretty tight. There were moderators and reporting someone could actually affect them. Back when a credit card was required, your GT was tied to your personal information and getting banned was siginicantly more of a consequence.

If anything, its more lax now than it ever was.

That said, i think this behavior is a bigger problem than any one service could be largely responsible for, but if i had to pick one, it would be Twitter.

15 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I'm not sure that's fair. I'd say the policing in the early days was pretty tight. There were moderators and reporting someone could actually affect them. Back when a credit card was required, your GT was tied to your personal information and getting banned was siginicantly more of a consequence.

If anything, its more lax now than it ever was.

That said, i think this behavior is a bigger problem than any one service could be largely responsible for, but if i had to pick one, it would be Twitter.

It's entirely fair... when you can get harrassed on a service you're PAYING for with no recourse and no consequences for your harasser I would'nt say that the policing on said service was "tight". Let me put it to you like this... there's a reason why a lot of gamers of color didn't even bother to plug their mics in when gaming online on Xbox live. That didn't even help though because I lost count of the amount of times my inbox would be flooded with racial epiithets  after I beat someone in an online game. I didn't imagine that shit. I also didn't imagine trying to figure out how to report the harassing messages (There was no easy way to do it at the time) even going so far as to take a picture of one of the messages on my phone and sending it to the official Xbox twitter account. Of course I never heard anything and I doubt anything ever happened to the person that did it.If there were mods on Live, I never knew about them and damn sure didn't know how to contact them.  So no... Xbox Live's Policing wasn't "tight" then and it never has been.Sorry :shrug:

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

It's entirely fair... when you can get harrassed on a service you're PAYING for with no recourse and no consequences for your harasser I would'nt say that the policing on said service was "tight". Let me put it to you like this... there's a reason why a lot of gamers of color didn't even bother to plug their mics in when gaming online on Xbox live. That didn't even help though because I lost count of the amount of times my inbox would be flooded with racial epiithets  after I beat someone in an online game. I didn't imagine that shit. I also didn't imagine trying to figure out how to report the harassing messages (There was no easy way to do it at the time) even going so far as to take a picture of one of the messages on my phone and sending it to the official Xbox twitter account. Of course I never heard anything and I doubt anything ever happened to the person that did it.If there were mods on Live, I never knew about them and damn sure didn't know how to contact them.  So no... Xbox Live's Policing wasn't "tight" then and it never has been.Sorry :shrug:

Not disagreeing with your experience, but the earliest days of XBL there was no Xbox twitter account and there definitely were human moderators listening to audio recordings and banning people.

It was really the 360 generation where things went off the rails.

I actually still remember getting my XBL “starter kit” in the mail with the most rinky-dink headset you can imagine back when they were doing the beta. I think the demo game was called Re-Volt. It was pretty fun as a proof of concept.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Not disagreeing with your experience, but the earliest days of XBL there was no Xbox twitter account and there definitely were human moderators listening to audio recordings and banning people.

I actually still remember getting my XBL “starter kit” in the mail with the most rinky-dink headset you can imagine back when they were doing the beta. I think the demo game was called Re-Volt. It was pretty fun as a proof of concept.

I believe that during the beta the first game we could play was a motorcycle racing game, can't recall the name of it, but I remember having a blast

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah I was talking about the 360 era. The incident I'm talking about happened after a couple of one on one Halo Wars matches. I also got some fucked up inbox messages after some GTA IV online matches. There was definitely a Twitter account at the time that I tried to contact them. And I too had Live since the OG xbox days but not too many people were using the headest and mic PERIOD those days.

52 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

I believe that during the beta the first game we could play was a motorcycle racing game, can't recall the name of it, but I remember having a blast

Moto GP was the second beta game if I recall correctly.

44 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Yeah I was talking about the 360 era. The incident I'm talking about happened after a couple of one on one Halo Wars matches. I also got some fucked up inbox messages after some GTA IV online matches. There was definitely a Twitter account at the time that I tried to contact them. And I too had Live since the OG xbox days but not too many people were using the headest and mic PERIOD those days.

Voice chat was definitely less frequent in the early days, which probably assisted in their ability to actually moderate the system. They definitely have failed to keep up with the explosion is usage and the corresponding explosion in abuse.

So it turns out this wasn't even the FIRST Xbox Host forced off the platform due to sexist death threats.

This is sadly not the first instance of toxicity within Brazil’s Xbox community. IGN has also learned that Isadora Basile is not the first Xbox Brazil host to receive harassment. Bruna Penilhas, Assistant Editor at IGN Brasil has informed us that a previous Xbox Brazil host, Mariana Ayres, has also received threats.

• Shocked 1