Update: Nvidia buys ARM Holdings from SoftBank for $40 billion

Jason

Holy shit, at first I thought "Arm Holdings" meant arms holdings... as in, investments in weapons development companies. I was like SoftBank is really living up to their cartoonishly evil conglomerate reputation. But then I got really confused as to why Nvidia would want something like Raytheon stock. :lol: 

15 hours ago, Jason said:

It was @chakoo with the crazy SoftBank stories right? From how he made the guy in charge sound they'll find a way to not profit off this too. :lol:

Nope, that was someone else. :) 

This could be great for future products using arm chips. Nvidia might be able to bundle in better low end gpu designs for licensing so companies can stop using the Mali shit gpus.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

It was @chakoo with the crazy SoftBank stories right? From how he made the guy in charge sound they'll find a way to not profit off this too. :lol:

You might be talking about me. I used to work at SoftBank. If they actually make a profit off ARM, I'll be shocked. One of the most amusing things about them is that they really want some name recognition in the US, but their three most prominent US purchases did not take on their name; Sprint, Boston Dynamics, and ARM. If they keep Boston Dynamics long term, I'll also be shocked, but also not because it'll only be because Son thinks their robots is REALLY cool. Same goes for when they bought the that French  company Aldeberan Robotics.

18 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

You might be talking about me. I used to work at SoftBank. If they actually make a profit off ARM, I'll be shocked. One of the most amusing things about them is that they really want some name recognition in the US, but their three most prominent US purchases did not take on their name; Sprint, Boston Dynamics, and ARM. If they keep Boston Dynamics long term, I'll also be shocked, but also not because it'll only be because Son thinks their robots is REALLY cool. Same goes for when they bought the that French  company Aldeberan Robotics.

I was just reading an article about how they're offering investments opportunities that are based on them literally just buying other companies' stocks, which you could easily just do yourself. :lol:

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.
WWW.FORBES.COM

#1-ranked tech industry analyst talked with both NVIDIA's Jensen Huang and Arm's Simon Segars about their $40B deal.

Here's Forbes' take on it. The part about licensing remaining completely open and globally neutral is....yeah. Probably the part people are going to have a hard time believing, at least given NVIDIA's......less than open attitude towards all other aspects of their technology.