It turns out basing your firefighting operation on slave labor is a bad idea.

It's very interesting to wonder how people 200 years will look back on the USA of today—will they view it the same way we view the US of the 1800s, rife with abuse of power, patronage, slavery, etc? Or worse? I'm sure people inside other horrible empires in the past viewed their nation (at the time) quite favourably because they themselves weren't that affected by the atrocities carried out to maintain its power and wealth.

When does it become time to emulate post-war Germany and have American citizens march past starving children in cages, prisoners performing slave labour, etc?

7 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's very interesting to wonder how people 200 years will look back on the USA of today—will they view it the same way we view the US of the 1800s, rife with abuse of power, patronage, slavery, etc? Or worse? I'm sure people inside other horrible empires in the past viewed their nation (at the time) quite favourably because they themselves weren't that affected by the atrocities carried out to maintain its power and wealth.

When does it become time to emulate post-war Germany and have American citizens march past starving children in cages, prisoners performing slave labour, etc?

It's cute that you think humans won't be extinct within 200 years.

I do think there is a decent chance that high civilization won't be as stable as it is today, or possibly even exist at the same technological level, but I have no doubt that humans will still be around. But I take your point—Gurr and Brrol sitting around their fire in the ruins of Boise might not care about the history of the OOO-ESS-AYY.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Why do you have to wonder? Americans today lionize slave owning traitors from less than 200 years ago.

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I do think there is a decent chance that high civilization won't be as stable as it is today, or possibly even exist at the same technological level, but I have no doubt that humans will still be around. But I take your point—Gurr and Brrol sitting around their fire in the ruins of Boise might not care about the history of the OOO-ESS-AYY.

Trig and Track, Willow, Speck and Pop