Men Urged to Limit Alcohol to One Drink a Day Amid New Concerns

54 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Has it worked with cigarettes? Genuinely asking and not trying to be a smart ass. I've been staying with my parents the whole pandemic and haven't been out socially that much so my drinking has gone WAAAAAY down.

Anecdotally I had a friend who smoked. He quit because he said it was dumb and expensive and he'd rather spend the money on booze. :p

He bought packs then went down to rolling his own to just stopping.

I feel like problem drinking in general would be a lot less prevalent if people were actually raised with the ability to cope with stress and taught how to loosen up as a natural part of social interactions.  Seems like people aren't taught by their parents on how to deal with even a moderate amount of stress, let alone the big stuff.

8 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Has it worked with cigarettes? Genuinely asking and not trying to be a smart ass. I've been staying with my parents the whole pandemic and haven't been out socially that much so my drinking has gone WAAAAAY down.

My dad said he quit smoking when cigarettes hit $1 a pack back in 1980 or so

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I smoked from about 13 to 24 and I quit cold turkey when I just couldn't afford it anymore but obviously I can only speak for myself. I occasionally smoke a cigar these days, that's it.

• Thanks 1

People should drink less overall to begin with. Beer is not great for maintaining a healthy weight, and we have an obesity epidemic in North America already. Those old studies that showed that people that have a glass and a half of wine every night live longer were inaccurate because they forgot to take into account that people that can afford to drink that much wine are wealthier, and wealthier people tend to live longer for various reasons (can buy better quality food, afford health care, live in better areas, etc.).

As much as we all might like to have a drink and socialize, as with all things, moderation is key. Alcohol is a poison; your body does not like it, and over consumption of it (not even in just a single setting) can have adverse health affects, like cancer. 

If anything this pandemic is a good time to look at our eating and drinking habits, as well as other health choices, and make some positive changes. Lose weight, exercise, eat healthier, drink less, etc. Healthier, non overweight people have a better chance of surviving Covid if contracted as well, so there's more incentive to get to a healthy weight. 

• Like 1
  • Guillotine 1