The Rock buys the XFL

SaysWho?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-buys-xfl-for-15-million-with-partner-redbird-capital-per-report

The XFL will live on, thanks to another WWE legendary figure taking the majority stake in the football league -- but this time it's not Vince McMahon. Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and RedBird Capital teamed up to purchase the XFL for $15 million just hours before the once-bankrupt league was set for auction, per Sportico. 

Johnson and Gerry Cardinale, the CEO of Redbird Capital, each paid $7.5 million for the ownership rights to the XFL. RedBird Capital is an investment firm that focuses on providing flexible and long-term capital to help entrepreneurs grow their businesses, and the XFL will be its latest challenge. Dany Garcia, Johnson's business partner and ex-wife, will also be a stakeholder in the league. 

Johnson is the latest WWE figurehead to own the XFL after WWE chairman and Vince McMahon had two attempts at the league. McMahon formed a partnership with Dick Ebersol and NBC in 2001, which was run as a joint venture before the league folded after one season. McMahon, also the founder and owner of Alpha Entertainment, revived the league for the 2020 season, but that second attempt was cut short due to the coronavirus pandemic after five weeks. 

the rock swag GIF

I could swear that back in the day, there was some WWE segment where Vince pretended to sell the XFL on a TV auction for a dollar. I can find no evidence of this online. Maybe I made it up?

EDIT: found it lel. A late night skit, I think:

If The Rock paid more than $29.95 and didn’t get the tshirt, he got hosed.

22 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I could swear that back in the day, there was some WWE segment where Vince pretended to sell the XFL on a TV auction for a dollar. I can find no evidence of this online. Maybe I made it up?

EDIT: found it lel. A late night skit, I think:

If The Rock paid more than $29.95 and didn’t get the tshirt, he got hosed.

Those cheerleaders jokes, wow. Times have changed lol.

1 hour ago, rc0101 said:

Not sure how the Rock will solve the lack of QB talent that plagued the XFL the first time. 

Make it a viable alternative to college. Rock might have a better chance to get the NFL on board with the XFL as a feeder league.