The Flash fires Hartley Sawyer after racist, misogynist tweets resurface

Elongated Man is no more.

EW has confirmed that the actor who played Ralph Dibny/Elongated Man on The CW superhero drama was fired after old tweets containing racist, misogynist, and homophobic content resurfaced in the past few weeks. The Hollywood Reporter was the first to break the news.

The tweets in question were published before Sawyer joined The Flash in 2017 and are dated from 2012-2014. At the time of publishing, his Twitter account has been deleted; however, there are still screenshots of the tweets floating around the internet. Among them were references to sexual assault ("As a lad, one of my favorite activities was kidnapping homeless women and cutting off their breasts"), racist comments ("The only thing stopping me from doing mildly racist things is the knowledge that Al Sharpton would never stop complaining about me"), and sexist remarks ("Things only women should be in: twilight screenings, gynecologists offices, and Porsches).

Yikes. He was the only entertaining part of the show at this point. 

Ralph has already been shown to use his abilities to shapeshift though...so I guess at least they can just recast Ralph instead of having to completely ditch everything Ralph-related? It's even kind of built in already with the "Sue is being framed" cliffhanger we got left on as to why Ralph would permanently present a different appearance.

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm betting those Tweets were his lame attempts at edgy-humor, which was the style of the time. We should really start an official thread of self destruction by Tweet. I don't know if those Tweets represent a firing offense considering they were before his time on the show, but what do I know? 

I’m in the same boat here. The same thing happened with James Gunn before Disney reversed course.

4 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I can definitely understand the Show not wanting to deal with the potential headache though so...

Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin/Killer Frost) retweeted these two tweets, and Eric Wallace is the showrunner:

Kind of makes you wonder if there's something else going on here that we don't know about yet.

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Danielle Panabaker (Caitlin/Killer Frost) retweeted these two tweets, and Eric Wallace is the showrunner:

Kind of makes you wonder if there's something else going on here that we don't know about yet.

Like maybe he was a problem on set? I can see that... if he was douchy enough to make those jokes I can only imagine what he must've been like in person.

10 hours ago, MarSolo said:

Elongated Man is no more.

Yikes. He was the only entertaining part of the show at this point. 

First one sounds like it could use more context.

Last two are pretty tame.

We're canceling people for observing that chicks like Twilight now? :lol:

I am kind of conflicted for the wrong reason here. I am glad the guy is gone. I think he was the worst part of the show and they've been struggling to find anything to do with him since the end of season 4. His arc in s6 was so disconnected it felt like it was barely even part of the show.

7 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

First one sounds like it could use more context.

Last two are pretty tame.

We're canceling people for observing that chicks like Twilight now? :lol:

I am kind of conflicted for the wrong reason here. I am glad the guy is gone. I think he was the worst part of the show and they've been struggling to find anything to do with him since the end of season 4. His arc in s6 was so disconnected it felt like it was barely even part of the show.

Tweets in other articles imply that he'd date rape himself so he wouldn't have to masturbate, and another implied he was peeping during auditions.

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So he wasn't just trying to be edgy... he was a full blown creep, huh?

In 2014, he wrote, "Enjoyed a secret boob viewing at an audition today." Several tweets refer to assaulting women, and one reads, "Date rape myself so I don't have to masturbate."

Link.

Seems like it?

3 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

I'm not sure if he has any connections to the Flash but i want to see Static Shock added to the CW/DC universe.

I could see them adding him via Black Lightning possibly... not sure what's going on with The Milestone characters at this point to be honest.

2 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Link.

Seems like it?

donald trump ugh GIF by Election 2016

20 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Like maybe he was a problem on set? I can see that... if he was douchy enough to make those jokes I can only imagine what he must've been like in person.

People on reddit are pointing out that it's kind of ironic that Sawyer immediately got fired with no chance for redemption, considering Ralph's character arc on the show, where Barry originally didn't want to give Ralph a chance to redeem himself for having been a bad cop. :p