Georgia Law Cant Be Behind A Paywall

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/04/supreme-court-rules-georgia-cant-put-the-law-behind-a-paywall/?comments=1

TLDR

Georgia allowed the annotations that make laws easier to understand to be copyrighted because they didn't want to have to deal with it. So if you want the to see the annotations you had to pay. 

Public.Resource.Org published the full thing was sued by the state and lost,Court of Appeals over ruled in favor of Public Resources but PR took it to the Supreme Court to make an example. It only narrowly passed in their favor. Whats really interesting is separation of Justices on this one

Sotomayor,Roberts, Kavanaugh, , Kagan ,Gorsuch,

Thomas, Alito, Ginsburg and Breyer 

I'm glad that they ruled pretty broadly, applying the standard to any document produced by the state legislature, and not a much more narrow ruling.

The most bizarre part of this whole thing to me is that they didn't publish a free version regardless of annotations. I'm not sure how anyone could think that it's ok to pass laws and not make them freely available. If the issue was simply that they had annotated versions available that were behind a paywall, I'd still think they should be free, but it wouldn't be quite as big a deal. Not having a free version at all is just nuts.

55 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

The most bizarre part of this whole thing to me is that they didn't publish a free version regardless of annotations.

There was a free version, but it didn't have the annotations, and Georgia was saying that the free version was not the official version of the law.