Trump Rollback of Mileage Standards Guts Climate Change Push

1 hour ago, cusideabelincoln said:

I could probably wait the 6 months, because that should also mean you will get the car you want with exactly the options you want.  I imagine going to a website, taking a virtual tour of the car, picking what options you want, picking the color, and getting this without absurd markup prices.  Hunting for the right car, and then hunting for the right options for that car, just sucks for me. 

You can kinda do that now.  If it is produced in NA (and not in short supply), it rarely takes more than 90-days to order from the factory.  (In fact, most Europeans order directly from the factory through their dealer -- it is really a US/Canada thing to buy off the lot).

Last data I showed had average dealer gross markups at ~6% -- which is awful low for a retailer. 

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Not enough lithium for worldwide adoption

Cobalt may be a bigger issue.

4 hours ago, PaladinSolo said:

You're assuming they all have to be lithium, lithium is just the cheapest and easiest long time use battery currently, there are other materials that can be used and will be used when lithium is no longer financially viable.  This is going to be a decades long process.

You're absolutely right --- this will take decades.  There are lots of issues with electric cars that need to be solved before they become ubiquitous (i.e. local electrical infrastructure, range in cold weather, REE/Cobalt, recycling of batteries, etc.)

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You can kinda do that now.  If it is produced in NA (and not in short supply), it rarely takes more than 90-days to order from the factory.  (In fact, most Europeans order directly from the factory through their dealer -- it is really a US/Canada thing to buy off the lot).

Last data I showed had average dealer gross markups at ~6% -- which is awful low for a retailer. 

You're absolutely right --- this will take decades.  There are lots of issues with electric cars that need to be solved before they become ubiquitous (i.e. local electrical infrastructure, range in cold weather, REE/Cobalt, recycling of batteries, etc.)

Manufactures do indeed quote 90-days, but it always seems to actually be 4-6 months on the car forums I frequent, even for mass produced cars. You likely remember the hell I went through with mine (though, that’s due to Ford not allocating enough Magneride systems) :p. I’m sure they’re lucky ones that get their orders within the 90-day quote, but anecdotally they don’t seem to appear often.

14 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Manufactures do indeed quote 90-days, but it always seems to actually be 4-6 months on the car forums I frequent, even for mass produced cars. You likely remember the hell I went through with mine (though, that’s due to Ford not allocating enough Magneride systems) :p. I’m sure they’re lucky ones that get their orders within the 90-day quote, but anecdotally they don’t seem to appear often.

It depends on availability of the model, and the content (and how good your dealer is).  If you're trying to order a constrained commodity, it will take longer.  (They are guessing how many parts they will need years in advance.)  You're always ordering high demand product with high demand content. :)

I've ordered a vehicle from the plant and got it in much shorter than 90-days.

6 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It depends on availability of the model, and the content (and how good your dealer is).  If you're trying to order a constrained commodity, it will take longer.  (They are guessing how many parts they will need years in advance.)  You're always ordering high demand product with high demand content. :)

I've order a vehicle from the plant and got it in much shorter than 90-days.

High demand? I order Mustangs! :p 

22 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You can even custom order mid-lower end models, like Civics, Taurus, Sonatas, etc?

44 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

You can even custom order mid-lower end models, like Civics, Taurus, Sonatas, etc?

Taurus -- no, because it is out of production.

Domestics  and Europeans do this for sure.  I have never bought an Asian brand vehicle, so I can't 100% confirm they will.  

Edit:

Dealers generally don't want to do this (you may have been insistent) -- most sales people are paid commission when they deliver the vehicle, so they REALLY want to sell you something on the lot.