Amnesia: Rebirth (PC/PS4) to receive "Indiana Jones-like" Adventure Mode as free update

Commissar SFLUFAN

I'm definitely down for another Amnesia, as long as it's more like the first game, and less like A Machine for Pigs. 

Still haven't played SOMA, but I do know the best way to play it is with monster encounters turned off, supposedly. 

7 hours ago, Brick said:

I'm definitely down for another Amnesia, as long as it's more like the first game, and less like A Machine for Pigs. 

Still haven't played SOMA, but I do know the best way to play it is with monster encounters turned off, supposedly. 

Unsure if you are aware or not, but Frictional didn't develop Machine for Pigs, they only published it. It was developed by The Chinese Room, who's only other game that I have any knowledge of is Dear Esther. 

The monster encounters can be a bit frustrating sometimes, but its just a walking simulator without it. Not that its entirely a bad thing, just food for thought. 

27 minutes ago, Nokt said:

Unsure if you are aware or not, but Frictional didn't develop Machine for Pigs, they only published it. It was developed by The Chinese Room, who's only other game that I have any knowledge of is Dear Esther. 

The monster encounters can be a bit frustrating sometimes, but its just a walking simulator without it. Not that its entirely a bad thing, just food for thought. 

Oh I'm aware. The story was good, but I wish Fictional had done the actual game design, and had The Chinese Room write the story. 

• 2 weeks later...

With Amnesia: Rebirth, Frictional Games wants to go beyond jump scares (PC Gamer)

Despite its penchant for making YouTubers scream, the first Amnesia took a restrained approach to jump scares. A glimpse of a monster, a door suddenly slamming shut—there were a fair number of occasions where you might have needed a fresh set of pants, but it wasn’t gratuitous. For Rebirth, Frictional’s making even more of an effort to not go for the easy scares. 

"Players are now very used to the simpler tricks, and generally all low hanging fruit that you can use to make a game scary," says Grip. “We tried to avoid all of that during this period of development and to twist player expectations when possible."

The Amnesia: Rebirth Interview: "Only Releasing a Game Every 5 Years Takes a Toll On You" (USgamer)

Frictional Games on revisiting Amnesia, lessons learned from Soma, and the studio's future.

• 5 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amnesia: Rebirth (PC/PS4) to release on 20 October 2020
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Game Information

Game Title: Amnesia: Rebirth

Platforms:

• PlayStation 4 (Oct 20, 2020)
  • PC (Oct 20, 2020)

Developer: Frictional Games

Review Aggregator

OpenCritic - 79 average - 81% recommended

Critic Reviews

PC Gamer - 91 / 100

A brilliant tale of terror, even if the ride is a little old and clunky.

DualShockers - 9 / 10

Spiralling towers, endless deserts and impossible geometry; Frictional's return with Amnesia: Rebirth showcases why they're the masters of horror

GameSpew - 9 / 10

All you need to know as a horror fan, or simply a brave gamer, is that Amnesia: Rebirth is a masterfully-crafted experience. There are no next-gen graphical features such as ray-tracing to fawn over, but its visuals are still top-notch and performance is solid. Just as important, its audio and sound design is simply outstanding. They come together to immerse you in one of the most terrifying experiences ever to be put into video game form, but one that also makes you think.

Shacknews - 9 / 10

Amnesia: Rebirth is a solid return to form for Frictional. It has everything I’ve come to expect from the folks behind SOMA and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, but ups the horror game in meaningful ways appropriate to this particular entry.

USgamer - 4.5 / 5 stars

Making a sequel to one of the most acclaimed horror games in recent memory may be a tall order for some, but Frictional Games has done it with aplomb with Amnesia: Rebirth. Without straying far from the formula that made Amnesia: The Dark Descent so popular and feared in equal measure-the clever use of jump scares, immersive puzzles and the light-dark dichotomy-Rebirth has reinvigorated its brand of horror with a haunting narrative that's as moving as it is refreshing. Rebirth may still be a bit too much to bear for players who don't usually venture into horror, but it's a sequel that should please ardent fans and horror masochists alike.

Hobby Consolas - Spanish - 88 / 100

A remarkable adventure and an excellent horror game. The way it mixes tension and brief reliefs will make you come back for more. And it also offers an engaging personal drama.

Easy Allies - 8.5 / 10

Amnesia: Rebirth arrives just in time for Halloween to scare the crap out of you!

GameWatcher - 8.5 / 10

While this is certainly a return to form for the franchise, the game doesn't quite escape the shadow of the original, with the forced narrative aspects sometimes overtaking gameplay. Nevertheless, when judged by its own merits, Amnesia: Rebirth is a quality horror title made by passionate developers out to tell a disturbing story. At the end of the day, I'd recommend this one to any horror fan up for some interactive Cosmic Horror this Halloween season.

Attack of the Fanboy - 4 / 5 stars

Amnesia: Rebirth won't dramatically shift the modern horror landscape like its predecessor did ten years ago, yet it's an excellent addition to the genre nonetheless. It's an excellent marriage SOMA's narrative sensibilities with The Dark Descent's more terrifying pacing, capable of standing out in the now crowded market. It won't replace SOMA as my all-time favorite horror game, but it's up there.

GameSkinny - 8 / 10 stars

Though its scares don't reach the heights of the original, Amnesia: Rebirth remains a must-play horror game for delivering a story more akin to a brilliant novel.

GameSpot - 8 / 10

The follow-up to Frictional Games' seminal 2010 horror game tightly hones the developer's approach to story, frights, and frustration.

GamesRadar+ - 4 / 5 stars

A dark and twisted piece of playable horror fiction that delivers a memorable story.

IGN - 8 / 10

Amnesia: Rebirth is one of the most thrilling survival horror games in recent memory – one that is anything but forgettable.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Turkish - 80 / 100

Amnesia: Rebirth is a game that deserves the name of the series with its gripping story and exquisite design. Anyone who loves horror games should buy and play.

Spaziogames - Italian - 8 / 10

Amnesia: Rebirth tells a mature story about loss and human resilience. After SOMA, the new direction chosen by Frictional Games is finally clear. It's a turning point for the horror genre.

TheSixthAxis - 8 / 10

Amnesia: Rebirth is an excellent narrative experience with some genuinely taxing environmental puzzles and effective sense of atmosphere. What really got under my skin, was the story being told of grief, loss, panic, and desperation. Playing as the pregnant Tasi and vicariously experiencing her own growing horror is something that will stick with me for a long while, not least because this game manages to be so focused on a woman's body without any hint of sexualisation or objectification. For this, if for nothing else, Amnesia: Rebirth is a groundbreaking title in gaming horror.

TrustedReviews - 4 / 5 stars

Frictional Games has crafted one of the finest survival horror experiences in recent memory with Amnesia: Rebirth. It never forgets what made the original so compelling, placing as much importance on the haunting things you can't see as it does on the ghastly monsters placed front and centre. However, tired horror conventions occasionally shatter the terrifyingly atmospheric immersion, holding this new Amnesia entry back from excellence.

Wccftech - 8 / 10

Amnesia: Rebirth is a more than worthy new entry in the popular series, and one of the best horror games released this year, thanks to its engaging story, very good writing and unnerving atmosphere that can make playing the game feel almost uncomfortable. And if a horror game manages to achieve this, small issues like a lack of gameplay innovation and limited replay value don't really matter.

Windows Central - 4 / 5 stars

Amnesia: Rebirth is a wildly ambitious horror title that seeks to be standalone and to answer a lot of of questions posed in The Dark Descent. It's gruesome in its style and tragic in its story, and whether the pain will be worth it is up to you.

Game Informer - 7.5 / 10

If you're looking for a good scare, Amnesia: Rebirth delivers, but prepare to feel lost and confused along the way

PlayStation LifeStyle - 7 / 10

It's frustrating to not be able to talk about the bits of Rebirth that I liked the most due to a fear of spoiling things, but just know that there's a lot to uncover that makes the bits that I liked less worth going through. Although the pacing and second half of the game let things down a bit, an awesome story and a campaign full of tension make Amnesia: Rebirth worth playing through for both the horror fans and the horror fearful.

We Got This Covered - 3.5 / 5 stars

Amnesia: Rebirth is a solid enough adventure for fans of the genre. That being said, although it's better than its predecessors in different ways, the fact that it can't quite match the narrative highs of SOMA or the scares of The Dark Descent makes it a bit of a forgettable journey.

Metro GameCentral - 6 / 10

A disappointing sequel to The Dark Descent, but while the horror elements can seem mundane at times the storytelling and characterisation remain impressive.

TechRaptor - 6 / 10

Strong gameplay and atmosphere don't make up for obvious plot twists. However, Amnesia: Rebirth is still worth playing for the things it does right.

Push Square - 4 / 10

For the few things Amnesia: Rebirth gets right, there is a mountain of reasons why it feels like Frictional Games is still stuck in 2010. This hide and seek style of gameplay has long outstayed its welcome and the game doesn't do enough to lessen the disappointing impact that brings. It's heartbreaking to say, but after the fantastic SOMA, maybe the Swedish developer shouldn't have bothered returning to what it thinks it knows best.

Eurogamer - No Recommendation / Blank

Frictional returns with a subversion of horror tropes, though it's not quite the measure of other games in the series.

Polygon - Unscored

Amnesia: Rebirth shows an inventiveness that The Dark Descent only hinted at. And it’s certainly creepy enough to satisfy the hunger for something spooky this season.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Unscored

An accomplished horror adventure from accomplished horror developers, Amnesia: Rebirth is a worthy entry in the Amnesia series that never quite gets as original as you might hope.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amnesia: Rebirth (PC/PS4) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

I was reading reviews this morning and while there are very good ones obviously, as a fan of the original and especially SOMA, I was hoping they'd finally change up their gameplay formula. I'll still pick it up possibly sometime soon but the negative comments are more or less what in line with what I was hoping they wouldn't do. 

• 5 months later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Amnesia: Rebirth (PC/PS4) to receive "Indiana Jones-like" Adventure Mode as free update