LTTP: The Lion King (the bad one)

johnny

I finally watched the live action (lol) version and its hot garbage. I really didnt think it was going to be as bad as others said, but it was worse! Even if the original didnt exist, this would still be bad. no emotion, fight scenes werent even good when that should have been one thing that was awesome. smh so hard. 

I agree on it missing that animated emotional impact that the classic could deliver compare to the photorealistic creatures in this version. I imported my 3D copy of the movie, but watched with family in 2D. I don’t know now if I would be able to watch it again to try and enjoy my 3D copy of the film. Sadly I think once was enough for me

20 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

Photorealistic CG of animals with voice acting that requires showing that emotion on the photorealistic CG faces of the animals just doesn't work. Given that The Jungle Book was solid enough, one would have thought Jon Favreau understood this.

Yep. Turns out that if you can't emote, emotion is difficult to convey. 

The uncanny valley in this film wasn't the gulf between CG and photo realism (though that was occasionally noticeable), but the disparity between the emotion in the voice acting and what the characters could show. 

Dial back the realism a bit and you get there. I really don't know what the photo realism was meant to add to this film, other than a technical challenge. The voice acting was overall pretty darn good. It's been a while since the original, but if you dubbed this cast over the animated one, I'd be happy with that movie.

The actual result however, is bizarre, unnecessary, and (notably) a box office smash

9 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dislike all these remakes of the cartoons because the magic of the movies were from the art / animation. If you take that away then it's just real life people acting and stuff that looks real. There's no fantasy left.

Well, it was about the music too but I find the newer versions of the songs worse somehow.  ESPECIALLY Aladdin.  Glad I read this thread.  I'll be skipping lion king. Disney Plus, more like Disney minus, emirite gang???

1 hour ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I dislike all these remakes of the cartoons because the magic of the movies were from the art / animation. If you take that away then it's just real life people acting and stuff that looks real. There's no fantasy left.

Well, I think the Mulan trailer gives hope that there could be another way. I dislike these movies because they're just doing the exact same thing that the animations were, but in live action. It's not an adaptation, just a remake with different visuals. Every beat is the same, often with the exact same dialog and camera work. I think there's room to tell the same basic story, but in a different way that actually acknowledges what the new medium does to the story. Maybe Mulan will do that, maybe not, but either way I think it could be done.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

Well, I think the Mulan trailer gives hope that there could be another way. I dislike these movies because they're just doing the exact same thing that the animations were, but in live action. It's not an adaptation, just a remake with different visuals. Every beat is the same, often with the exact same dialog and camera work. I think there's room to tell the same basic story, but in a different way that actually acknowledges what the new medium does to the story. Maybe Mulan will do that, maybe not, but either way I think it could be done.

I have to agree Mulan does look like it might indeed be good