New drug curbs delusions in Alzheimer's and dementia, being fast-tracked for approval based on trial results

3 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

Dementia runs on both sides of my family. I will keep my fingers crossed. 

I live next door to my uncle who has Lewy Body dementia and it’s the worst thing to see this incredibly intelligent man whither away. Pretty much can’t hold a coherent conversation any more :/ 

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I live next door to my uncle who has Lewy Body dementia and it’s the worst thing to see this incredibly intelligent man whither away. Pretty much can’t hold a coherent conversation any more :/ 

I watched both of my grandpas steadily decline until dying with it (one had to deal with partial paralysis from a stroke as well). Towards the end, they didn’t seem to know who I was or who they were, or when they were. My remaining grandma is living a long time with it and seems to be leveling off, but she doesn’t know where she is, who I am, or when it is. Devastating.   It’s a good bet my parents are I are destined to get it. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t a refutation of what I said. The big price increases happened in the previous decade as the synthetic drugs became the favored therapy for diabetes because the new insulin reacts nearly instantly, so you can take just what you need for how much carbs/sugar you consumed.

This decade there hasn’t been the massive uptick in pricing, and the older insulins continue to fall in price. People just don’t like them because diet restrictions are tighter. Nobody is off insulin because they can’t afford any insulin at all, they ration the newer stuff because they don’t want to change their diets and use older insulins.

We need the synthetics to get cheaper though! They are about $50/month on most insurance plans, but $500/month cash and health outcomes are better with synthetic insulins because people are generally lacking the discipline to eat a diet that lowers their carb intake.

What's the cost of the diet change though?

2 hours ago, Massdriver said:

I have it. It could be an insurance pitch, but I have heard that companies may stop offering it eventually. 

If you have an older policy, it's amazing and don't ever lose it. Nowadays, insurance companies change premiums on you, so it's no longer near as good. The better bet presently is to get a LTC rider on a permanent life policy. The premiums won't ever change there.

28 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

What's the cost of the diet change though?

Nothing, really. Its how I had to eat for years when I was poor and diabetic. It’s really just lower carb/lower sugar, which cuts out a LOT of things Americans in particular like to eat. 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nothing, really. Its how I had to eat for years when I was poor and diabetic. It’s really just lower carb/lower sugar, which cuts out a LOT of things Americans in particular like to eat. 

You were keto before it was cool, basically.

I have it. It could be an insurance pitch, but I have heard that companies may stop offering it eventually. 

Very possible since costs are going up for no reason except others wanting a slice. LTC in it's best form is you pay your neighbor or whoever you want to help you, but more and more regulations are making a lot of people rich. Electronic Visit Verification is the latest scam, LTC money going to tech companies to develop tracking software. It's all starting to become on par with Nursing Home costs. 

17 minutes ago, Jose said:

If you have an older policy, it's amazing and don't ever lose it. Nowadays, insurance companies change premiums on you, so it's no longer near as good. The better bet presently is to get a LTC rider on a permanent life policy. The premiums won't ever change there.

Older policies can go up in premium, pending state approvals, which does happen, but can only be done on entire groups at a time, not on an individuals basis. But even still they're a fucking steal if you've got one. I agree with the rider on life insurance.

Some may exit the market for new policy holders, but as long as you pay your premiums, the coverage you have is guaranteed renewable

14 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Older policies can go up in premium, pending state approvals, which does happen, but can only be done on entire groups at a time, not on an individuals basis. But even still they're a fucking steal if you've got one. I agree with the rider on life insurance.

Some may exit the market for new policy holders, but as long as you pay your premiums, the coverage you have is guaranteed renewable

I work in the field, so believe me when I tell you that raising premiums on groups happens quite often. That's why older policies are so good. Insurance companies lost a TON of money on them.

13 minutes ago, Jose said:

I work in the field, so believe me when I tell you that raising premiums on groups happens quite often. That's why older policies are so good. Insurance companies lost a TON of money on them.

Lol I do too. Some of these legacy policies will never break even, even with massive rate increases. I've seen some with 7 figure benefits paying only a few hundred dollars a year in premium.