Eurogamer's 20th Anniversary: The 20 best games of the past 20 years (that never get into top 20 lists)

Commissar SFLUFAN

Eurogamer's forgotten gems

As you might have noticed, this week marks 20 years since Eurogamer first sprung forth from boss-man Rupert Loman's loins (or something like that, I wasn't paying attention), and to mark it we're running a short series of celebratory features. We would present our own picks for the best games of the last two decades, but honestly where's the fun in that? So here's a collection of the Eurogamer team's personally-cherished gems that might have gone unsung, or might have escaped your attention.

Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes - Hell yeah. I loved that game. 

4 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Skies of Arcadia was such a great game.  Anyone who liked DQXI would do well to go back and give it a shot.

Yikes, that's one that needs some kind of re-release. I'm not paying $90 for a used copy of a Gamecube game, no matter how good it is. 

Oh man, Virtua Fighter 3 was a good pick. I actually played that one for the first time just a few short years ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was! Dreamcast has an amazing library of games, and Skies of Arcadia is no exception. Great pick there, as well. And this list reminded me I need to go back and finish Lost Odyssey  - I really enjoyed what I played of it. Not sure why I never completed it. 

Not sure why NintendoLand is on this list. It is neither a hidden game, nor is it a gem. Simple mini-games for simple, short experiences that are at best fun for five minutes. Then I get bored and want to play an actual game. Bah. 

This is actually a fantastic list. Totally agree on Into the Nexus, Billy Hatcher, Rocket Slime, Enslaved, Alice Madness Returns, and Arms. It’s great to see Billy Hatcher get a mention specifically as it’s totally a deep cut nobody ever talks about but easily one of the best 3D platformers ever and one of the few that can stand next to Mario.