Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Commissar SFLUFAN

• 1 month later...

This is a good game full of terrible, terrible choices that slow down gameplay and make me dislike a lot about it, even though I like the story, cast and characters. Shit like asking me if I should open safes. Yes, you fucking should, or I wouldn't have put you directly in front of it and pressed X. Or how characters will run 100 meters to attack an enemy, and then run all the way back, far from the fight, which makes fights take way longer. So many dumb mechanics that should have been beaten, shot, and burned with fire twenty years ago. It's like playing a ps1 jrpg. Hell, at least Dragon Quest finally started adding qol fixes to their game. This feels like so many steps backwards.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 6:31 AM, BloodyHell said:

This is a good game full of terrible, terrible choices that slow down gameplay and make me dislike a lot about it, even though I like the story, cast and characters. Shit like asking me if I should open safes. Yes, you fucking should, or I wouldn't have put you directly in front of it and pressed X. Or how characters will run 100 meters to attack an enemy, and then run all the way back, far from the fight, which makes fights take way longer. So many dumb mechanics that should have been beaten, shot, and burned with fire twenty years ago. It's like playing a ps1 jrpg. Hell, at least Dragon Quest finally started adding qol fixes to their game. This feels like so many steps backwards.

While those particular issues haven't bothered me much (in my experience no one runs all that far during combat at all) the general issues of Japanese games and their endless fucking prompts drives me up the damn wall. It's always for the dumbest shit, too. And sometimes they'll flip the prompt around so you'll be trying to hammer through it and right at the end the yes will be on the right for some reason.

And then to top it all off, Japanese games will also randomly NOT have prompts for bigger stuff. Here's a questionnaire on whether you actually want to use this super common healing item. Also, you tapped X on the control remapping screen, so we reset everything to default without popping up a confirmation window. Oh, we detected your joystick went slightly towards the "erase save" prompt, so we went ahead and took care of that for you.

I've been playing a lot of Japanese games as of late, especially stuff like FFXIV, and this shit is everywhere there. Stop asking me to confirm the thing I very intentionally have to perform several actions to trigger every single time I want to do it! ESPECIALLY WHEN THERE'S NO REASON I WOULDN'T WANT TO DO IT. AHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Chapter 12 is definitely the worst chapter in the Yakuza series. First you get a ridiculous money hurdle where it forces you play the management mini game that is slow and boring to grind money. Then you get a boss that is level 50 when you are only level 32-34 which forces you to do that battle arena over and over to level your party up. I can’t think of another Yakuza game where they force you to grind. The boss is cool and I want to see what the end of the story but this grinding may be too much for me. 

25 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

What? I'm on Chapter 7 and I've had like 5 million yen and flew past level 36, let alone 32-34, ages ago. Have you been skipping all side content or something?

I wasted money on the school and never bothered with the management mini game until chapter 12.

How the fuck you level 36 on chapter 7?  I did side quests (20 substories achievement in chapter 8), karts, and hero content (Senior Hero in chapter 10) but you don’t get a lot of experience for it.  I put about 45 hours into the game already too. I did a quick search when I hit the spike in levels and saw others having to grind like me. Did I miss something that gives a lot of xp?

My bad, I just checked and I'm actually at 30, not 36. I blew past 26 in my last two sessions, not 36, me brain smart. Still, though, oodles of yen (I basically did the entire management minigame in 2 sittings) and I can't imagine only gaining 2-4 levels in the next 5 chapters. I gained 2 levels last night just doing side crap around town and not progressing the story at all?

I agree that the boss battles spike is pretty bad. At Chapter 12 I was at the appropriate level but some of them have a 1 hit move that can down you. I have had to make sure I had enough healing items to beat them. There are more boss battles where you can be at the same level as the boss but they just do massive damage or they heal themselves through out the match. Has take me several times but was able to beat them. Also to make sure you are at a high enough level do the battle arena in Sotenbori as that will level you up pretty good and get you rare items. 

As far as money goes I looked up how to play the business management mode because I was just confused but once you figure it out it's pretty easy. I was able to net 30,000,000 yen before I git the 3,000,000 yen part of the story. Once your business gets to number 1 you get an easy 3,000,000 yen every time you do a share holders meeting.