Refinance motherfucker!

SuperSpreader

Did you refinance for the same amount of years as what was left? I've seen some dumbos refinance thinking they were saving a bunch of money but they really just pushed the loan term out a few extra years...

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Did you refinance for the same amount of years as what was left? I've seen some dumbos refinance thinking they were saving a bunch of money but they really just pushed the loan term out a few extra years...

cash flow tho

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

cash flow tho

No doubt. A dollar in your pocket today is worth more than a dollar in your pocket later. Just helpful to get a full picture of what the new loan means relative to the old one!

5 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I bought last October at 4.5 and am refinancing at 3.375 so it only adds less than a year.

You're also looking at it wrong. Like.. are you planning on dying there? If not, the less you can put into the house and the more you can sell it for is better.

@sblfilms- I don't know why you find that funny. My last place, I put in about $85,000 (P&I) over 5 years, only paid off $24,000 (P) @ 3.5%, but I *made* $365,000 when I sold it. If I could have put in $50,000 (P&I) and paid off $0 (P) I would have made *more* money, it really depends on your strategy and the market you're in+conditions. I don't view it as just my home, it's an investment, any thing I do to it, I ask myself, is this going to make more dumb motherfuckers pay more for it? Or is this for *my* taste, if it's for mine, I don't do it.

29 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Great idea don't invest your money. 

Not trying to time the market and not investing aren’t the same. Personally, I only invest in real estate that produces income. My own home isn’t an asset, it’s a liability.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Not trying to time the market and not investing aren’t the same. Personally, I only invest in real estate that produces income. My own home isn’t an asset, it’s a liability.

Then rent?

It's totally possible to refinance to get a lower rate+save money and consider your home an investment. #Theother33%

45 minutes ago, 2user1cup said:

Then rent?

It's totally possible to refinance to get a lower rate+save money and consider your home an investment. #Theother33%

I like being able to do whatever I want to my house. I even live outside the city limits so I can build stuff without permits.

Unless you happen to get lucky with market conditions at a one you want to sell, between debt service, property taxes, and maintenance costs, most houses won’t generate a positive return. 

The banks and their American dream Mumbai jumbo have trained you well :p 

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I like being able to do whatever I want to my house. I even live outside the city limits so I can build stuff without permits.

Unless you happen to get lucky with market conditions at a one you want to sell, between debt service, property taxes, and maintenance costs, most houses won’t generate a positive return. 

The banks and their American dream Mumbai jumbo have trained you well :p 

While I'd agree that too many people sometimes treat their primary residences as a speculative investment with unrealistic views of an ROI, I would also argue that for a sizeable majority, gaining equity has value that shouldn't be so readily discounted.

Is it possible to perform better in the long-term by renting and investing the "savings" associated with ownership overhead?  Potentially, but I don't believe most people are equipped to plan that way.  It takes a lot of discipline (and liquidity) to be able to pull that $500-$1000/month (or more) aside after paying all the other bills and put it into a savings or brokerage account.

On refinancing, I hope that I am never in a position where it becomes overly appealing or (worse) some type of necessity.  I doubt I'd be able to refi while maintaining my 3.125% rate, and at this point, I'm debating how much additional principle I want to pay each month.  

1 hour ago, GoldenTongue said:

While I'd agree that too many people sometimes treat their primary residences as a speculative investment with unrealistic views of an ROI, I would also argue that for a sizeable majority, gaining equity has value that shouldn't be so readily discounted.

Is it possible to perform better in the long-term by renting and investing the "savings" associated with ownership overhead?  Potentially, but I don't believe most people are equipped to plan that way.  It takes a lot of discipline (and liquidity) to be able to pull that $500-$1000/month (or more) aside after paying all the other bills and put it into a savings or brokerage account.

On refinancing, I hope that I am never in a position where it becomes overly appealing or (worse) some type of necessity.  I doubt I'd be able to refi while maintaining my 3.125% rate, and at this point, I'm debating how much additional principle I want to pay each month.  

You won't beat your 3.125, I'm going from a 4.5 to 3.375 so it's a savings of $4,800 a year with basically nothing else changing. I can put that towards the Principal, I can reinvest it, I can make upgrades, whatever, it makes buying the place $144,000 cheaper over the life of the loan. 

In that particular scenario, sounds like an easy decision.  Congrats!

Refinancing is one of those topics like 401k's (or any type of investing, really), where I get annoyed when I hear people in my office talking about what people should be doing: decisions like that are so subjective that it's foolish to try to project one's own unique analysis onto others' finances.

2 hours ago, GoldenTongue said:

I don’t mean to infer that gaining equity in a house is bad for the majority, my only real contention here is with the idea that you can always sell your house for more down the road so why care about adding years to your loan. That is the lie that precipitated the housing crisis in the mid 00s when people were getting second mortgages, HELOCs, all jet fueled with subprime credit, no income verification loans, etc.

Trying to limit your overall outlay on a mortgage is a good strategy, but it also isn’t the only strategy. YMMV as the saying goes.

• 4 weeks later...

I just refinanced myself. Cut my rate by over 1 percent, only added 18 months back to the loan since I only bought the house a year ago. Gained $40k in equity and didn't even need an appraisal. Sent my paystub and W2 in on Thursday last week and got the clear to close last night.  The perks of the job I suppose. If anyone is interested in doing a refi let me know.  Money is cheap these days... Get it before it isn't. 

On 9/24/2019 at 4:08 PM, foosh said:

whats the lowest rate you can get now for buying @Ominous? I'm looking to buy within the next month or two.

Lots of factors go into that, no way to really say without a credit score and knowing how much you are borrowing, putting down, term of loan, buying down rate, fha vs fannie vs Freddie vs usda etc etc 

3 hours ago, Ominous said:

Lots of factors go into that, no way to really say without a credit score and knowing how much you are borrowing, putting down, term of loan, buying down rate, fha vs fannie vs Freddie vs usda etc etc 

Let’s say 800+ credit score, 60% down, borrowing 150-200k. 30 year or 7/1 arm