Alpha Protocol Removed From Digital Storefronts As Sega’s Publishing Rights Expire

Pikachu

https://techraptor.net/content/alpha-protocol-removed-from-digital-storefronts-as-segas-publishing-rights-expire

Alpha Protocol was Obsidian Entertainment‘s first work not on an already established IP after their first two titles, which were both sequels to BioWare games, Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, and Neverwinter Nights 2. However, SEGA still held the publishing rights, and though Obsidian had an interest in developing a sequel, SEGA never greenlit it on account of the game’s poor commercial performance at launch. Now, as it approaches its tenth anniversary, Alpha Protocol is no longer available for sale from Steam, PlayStation Store, or Xbox Marketplace, as noted by Resetera users.

The Steam page specifically says “At the request of the publisher, Alpha Protocol™ is no longer available for sale on Steam”, while on other storefronts there’s no mention of it having been available to purchase.

As we noted in our feature on the 15th anniversary of Obsidian Entertainment, Alpha Protocol had a complicated development history and a complicated launch. It was and remains a niche title as a spy RPG. When Obsidian first pitched it to SEGA, it was well-received. According to Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart, “[SEGA] loved it. They said, ‘Hey, this is different. It’s not dragons, it’s not phasers.’ You don’t see a lot of spy RPGs. Sometimes we go: maybe there’s a reason for that!”

36 minutes ago, SFLUFAN said:

Some speculation suggested that the publishing rights might have reverted back to Obsidian, which means that they're now with Microsoft.

It's not BC is it? I'd love for a more polished version of the game.

31 minutes ago, RedSoxFan9 said:

Every time AP is mentioned I want to replay it

I always toy around with playing it again as well.

6 hours ago, atom631 said:

AP was such a good game. Anyone whose actually played it wound up really liking it. 

It had a LOT of issues... like so many that I honestly don't think the game was finished when they released it. I remember specifically beating the last boss because the game glitched out and the boss just didn't fight back. That said, the fact is that the game was so fun I played and beat it despite the glitches and bugs. Also I only payed four bucks for it at the time I bought it. But yeah, its was embarrassingly glitchy.

• Like 1